Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The next two games will be the defining point of our season (esp. the Cards game)

ceviker

Hey guys,

First of all, god damnit we should be ****ing 5-0! Ok, now that that's out I can go on with the thread...

The next two games will determine our season. I see a lot of people talking about New England here. Let me tell those people something - the NE game is insignificant if we lose to the Cardinals. Yes, hypothetically we can lose the Cards game, win the rest of the games and finish at 13-3. It won't happen. We lose the Cards game and the chance we make playoffs is slim to none. I wouldn't make that statement with all teams, but with this team, I do. Why? We do not have a playoff veteran filled team to be able to shake off a loss like we would have against the Cardinals. I don't think the locker room could ever recover.

I give you two games to remember; we'll start with the ugly. Last year we we're 2-3 going into a home game with the 0-5 Titans. A helluva lot of people on this board were looking past that game and looking to the game where we would play the undefeated Colts team at their house. Sadly, I cannot say that I was thinking about the Colts game myself. You all know what happened of course. We played miserably, lost to the Titans, dropped to 2-4, and could not recover.

Now the good. Two years ago, we were 3-2 coming off a devastating loss at Kansas City. We outplayed them game. Why did we lose? Because we took a shotgun and instead of pointing it at the Chiefs, we decided it was a better idea to point it at our feet. Devastating as that was, we had a home game against a weaker NFC West team at home in a season defining game. You all definitely remember what happened in that game - we scored more points in that game than we did what felt like the past 3 years combined. Let's not talk about the Giants game after that :rolleyes:

So which team is going to show up - the 05 team or the 06 team? I'm hoping neither. I'm hoping the 07 team shows up. This team has a chance to be special. Real special. I haven't felt this way about the Redskins since I've started watching them - yes, that includes the 05 team. I think we have the best defense in the NFL. I think Jason Campbell is getting better every week and he is someone I have faith in that can march us down the field and get us in the end zone. We have one of the best running back attacks with Portis, Betts, and Sellers. In reality, we do have more than capable receivers. They are running their routes with near perfection. Once they start catching the balls that hit them in the numbers, we will be more than fine. Lastly, We have the most experienced coaching staff that is getting the job done (more on this below).

On a side note with the coaching, anyone who says the coaching staff is not doing their job is out of their mind. The reason we lost those two games were because of execution, not coaching. Even when I thought we should have given the ball to Mike Sellers in the Giants game, the call to Betts still would have scored had Betts not tripped. There is no guarantee that Sellers would have gotten in or not fumbled the ball, mind you. Re the Packers game on that 4th down pass to Betts, McCardell was WIDE open in the middle of the field. I love Jason, but if he would have looked to Keenan's way, it would have been an easy first down. End coaching rant.

This team has all the ingredients to win the Super Bowl. There are only two things that can prevent that SB run - injuries and the lack of execution by the players. If we can survive the injury bug and start executing plays, we will beat the Cardinals, we will beat the Patriots, and we will make a run for the Super Bowl. And if we don't, we will miss the playoffs yet again.

And IF we execute and IF we beat the Cardinals, we can than see if we can execute a perfect gameplan in arguably the best team the NFL has ever seen. And it will take perfection on all aspects of the game to beat New England, believe me. And even if we don't win that game, if we can come out and give them a game, executing on both sides of the ball, and take it to the wire, well then ladies and gentleman, we have a team. And it all starts this week. Let's get it done 'Skins!

HTTR

Yes, the next two games are important, but I don't see them as defining. A loss to the Cards would not be good at all, but then even if we win, I don't see many people expecting us to beat the Pats, which leaves us at 4-3. But then we have 2 games after that which I think are toss-ups. The Jets have been bad this year but the game is at their place and anything can happen. Then we have to play the Eagles here......Philly is having a bit of an off-year but is still a tough opponent. Its those two games, IMO, which are going to say a lot about this season.......particularly the Philly one. If we win both and are 6-3 heading into Dallas, I think we're in good shape.

The Cardinals game is WAY more important for us to win than the Patriouts game...at least in the standings...

The Crads are in the NFC which at seaon's end we will have tie breakers over them not to mention getting to "pad" our record in the NFC vs other NFC teams we do not play, ie, Carolina, Seattle, etc.

The Patriots game is an AFC game on the road...not to mention the Patriots will most likely beat all the other teams in our division so it's really a "wash" there.

I'd love to beat the Patriots...but if you give me a choice, I'll take beating the Cardinals on our home turf instead.

I don't see either one of the next two games as defining. Everyone thought last week's game would show which direction the Skins or Pack would go. Is there an answer? So if we beat the Cards who have a 3rd string QB, lose to the Pats, and go 1-1,what does that prove? IMO, the first goal is W's and L's, second goal is to win the NFC East. Winning the NFC East will get us in the playoffs. Let's see how we stand after week 10.

Definitely see the similarities of the Packers game to KC. The Cardinals game is one of those games that if we win, everything will seem ok. We'll be 4-2 and will be able to withstand a possible loss at NE and still stay above .500. If we lose to the Cardinals though, everyone will almost certainly be getting that terrible feeling that the had after the Titans game last year. The tiebreaker is also important because if the Cards don't win their division then we will be possibly be competing with them for a wildcard spot, and it would be huge to own that tiebreaker.

Cards game is the difference between over .500 and under .500 since the NE game looks like a massacre in the making with our decimated offensive line.

It's especially important since our offense needs to have a good outing to regain their confidence. Going into Foxboro with our offense in a rut (Portis, Moss) would be hard to recover from.

Unfortunately, IMO I think we're pretty much out of it. With the O-line injuries and the just piss poor performance by the O I cannot see us being too competitive from here on out. There just doesn't seem to be the killer instinct in the O side of the ball that's necessary to win in this league. I hope to be proven wrong but I've seen this pattern before.

Our Skins must beat the Cards. Have to to avoid having that loser taste at home in front of their fans. A loss will give the Skins the stigma of eh, redskins just cant win a game they should or have to , and we will become insignificant once again. Not talking about under the radar either. We will not beat the Patriots, we will struggle as usual at the Jets, and the Eagles will more then likely be playing at their best by the time we get them. If this team as a whole, despite all these injuries , fight from first snap to last and win then all will be good. Its past time to be a team to be reckoned with, not one that can be smacked around and abused. Teams know this and Im sure the Cards do. May that crap end Sun. :helmet:

It's hard to fathom us going very far unfortunately given the state of our offensive line. We'll see what happens, and Joe Gibbs is lethal in December, but we may have to wait until next season for a return to glory. We're making progress, but we've just had terrible luck with key injuries that we may not be able to overcome I think. All of the projected post season teams can rush the QB like nobody's business, and that I think is what will likely spell our doom for any hopes of a post season berth. Sorry - it's just how I feel right now.

You're 2 games behind. It's Detroit, Arizona, Green Bay that will define our season. If we get through that stretch it's when the division games mix in with Tampa Bay and the other NFC North teams. We still have a chance, but Arizona is a critical game for our playoff chances. New England will be an important test... but not as important as you think.

Hey We have one of the best running back attacks with Portis, Betts, and Sellers.

We may have a good set of running backs, but we don't have a good rushing attack. We are currently ranked in the bottom half of the league (18th) in rushing. Our O-line is currently in shambles and we all know you need a good line up front to have a good ground game. Until our O-line is in better shape we will struggle offensively, especially rushing.

I agree that if we loose this game, our season is done.

Must win the Arizona game and then treat the NE game as a bye. Rest the injured players for the following week. 95% chance you'll lose with a full squad, so you might as well rest them and when you lose you can convince yourself that you might have won had you played with all the starters. Rather than have the psychological scar of losing with your starters in a massacre (and risking further injury for rest of season). Obviously they won't do this but I'm convinced it would be the right tactical move.

Every single game is a step in "some" direction.

Execution is key. Holding onto the freeking ball....catching passes...picking up blitzes...all that will get us where we know these guys can potentially go.

Like Al Davis once said: :Just win baby

Beating the Cards is a must as many have said. The most important thing about NE is avoiding injuries and playing smart. Losing by less than 10 points would be good for me. And I agree that winning the NE game wouldn't be as important as many others since they are AFC. The team needs to start by playing Arizona as if they were the Pats, act like they're behind when they're ahead, play like the assume a 30 point 4th quarter comeback, and hopefully decimate them. NE strategy can be discussed if and when that part of the plan is successful.

The Dallas game will be the defining game of our season.

We should beat Cards, will prob lose to Pats.

Dallas is a very good team, in division, arch enemy, we think we should be able to beat. If we beat Dallas twice, and don't have any more dumb losses, it is still possible to win the division.

In my opinion, the Redskins are made up of two teams...the one that completely dominated the Lions, and the one that gave the Giants and Packers games away on silver platters. IF and WHEN we play like we did vs. Detroit, I agree, this team has as good a shot as anyone in the NFC to go to the Super Bowl. The problem is that just when I start thinking that, the team that gives games away shows up and brings me down to earth. We SHOULD be able to beat Arizona...but for as long as I can remember, the Skins seem to lose alot of games they should have won.

I also see these games as defining games. It is midseason and no one knows if the redskins are good or bad yet. Each time the redskins look to be strong, they end up losing a tough game to an NFC opponent. They have a chance now to define their character in the next two games. Against the cardinals, they have the chance to bounce back in the NFC after a rough NFC loss. Then after that, they have the chance to go and play the best team ever. A lot of good can come out of the patriots game and the redskins can really define themselves. The best possible situation is that the redskins beat the patriots. That would be huge. They will really be defined as a super bowl contender if they beat New England. But more realistically, they will lose to the patriots. But they can still define themselves as contenders in a loss depending on how they play. If the skins play well, the pats can be one loss this season where the redskins can actually come out looking better then they were in the previous week.

Archived