Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Big plays finally Taylor-made

bubba9497

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/SPORTS01/110170097/1023

click link for full article

Big plays finally Taylor-made

October 17, 2007

David Elfin - Joe Gibbs used to refer to Sean Taylor as the "most-researched draft pick in NFL history."

That description was subjected to frequent mockery as the Washington Redskins safety became embroiled in one controversy after another.

The coach's infelicitous phrase just as well could have been derided because Taylor wasn't the playmaker the Redskins envisioned when they drafted him fifth overall in 2004.

Taylor intercepted just seven passes in his first three NFL seasons, three fewer than he picked off in his final season at the University of Miami. He scored one touchdown, two fewer than he scored in that last season for the Hurricanes.

"When you watched Sean in college, he covered the field," Gibbs said.

Taylor made plenty of jarring hits, quickly earning a reputation as a player to be feared on patterns over the middle. But he often got beat on deep balls. He seemed more like a collision-seeking force than a ball-hawking safety.

Taylor participated in just 14 big plays — interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries — during his first two seasons with Redskins. Ravens safety Ed Reed, who preceded Taylor with the Hurricanes, made 25 in his first two seasons in Baltimore.

The Redskins' decision to let reliable strong safety Ryan Clark walk in March 2006 and replace him with Adam Archuleta misfired. Playing next to three partners last season, Taylor made only four big plays, including one interception.

That's all history now.

Playing next to rookie LaRon Landry, a similarly athletic hitter chosen with the sixth pick, Taylor has been freed up to be a latter-day Willie Mays. He has picked off four passes in the past three games, tying him for the NFL lead.

"It has been great to watch them together," Gibbs said. "Last year, we got forced into playing a lot of two-deep, which we don't really want to play. Drafting LaRon, what it [has] allowed us to do is ... be a little more standard and let Sean do some of the things he's capable of doing."

Taylor intercepted two passes by the Packers' Brett Favre on Sunday and had his hands on three more he couldn't pull in.

"There were times there when the ball was thrown where you said, 'They have a chance [for a big play],' and Sean covers the field all the way from the inside to the outside," Gibbs said.

The two interceptions put Taylor on pace to tie the 59-year-old franchise record for picks in a season of 13, set by defensive back Dan Sandifer. The last Redskins player to intercept more than five passes in a season was — believe it or not — backup safety Matt Stevens with six in 1999.

"In my nine years in the NFL, Sean's probably the most-gifted athlete I've played with," backup safety Pierson Prioleau said. "And you can't overlook the work he's put in in the classroom this year, which has allowed his abilities to take over a game. It's going to be hard for anybody to get anything down the field on us."

Indeed, the Redskins were beaten for 20 catches of at least 30 yards last season but have allowed just two this season. A year after surrendering an NFL-high 12.1 yards a pass, the Redskins are giving up a league-low 8.3.

I enjoyed this:

"In my nine years in the NFL, Sean's probably the most-gifted athlete I've played with," backup safety Pierson Prioleau said. "And you can't overlook the work he's put in in the classroom this year, which has allowed his abilities to take over a game. It's going to be hard for anybody to get anything down the field on us."

Feels good seeing Sean do what we all knew he could. I hope he never leaves us.

"Taylor intercepted just seven passes in his first three NFL seasons, three fewer than he picked off in his final season at the University of Miami. He scored one touchdown, two fewer than he scored in that last season for the Hurricanes."

Uh, no. I can think of two touchdowns he scored in back to back weeks.

Can't even get respect in an article praising him.

"Taylor intercepted just seven passes in his first three NFL seasons, three fewer than he picked off in his final season at the University of Miami. He scored one touchdown, two fewer than he scored in that last season for the Hurricanes."

Uh, no. I can think of two touchdowns he scored in back to back weeks.

Can't even get respect in an article praising him.

They werent counting his touchdown in the playoffs. I guess because the stat doesnt count for this total season stats....

No doubt playing next to those different players last year was a burden for Taylor. Can't understate the importance of that Landry pick where Sean's play on the field is concerned. Good read.

In a couple of years with these two we will simply be scary. Seriously our D could endup being as good if not better than the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens especially as Rocky also grows. Now lets get Rogers to play a little better and pickup a solid CB to replace Shawn Springs in a couple of years and we are set.

Sean definitely did not live up to his potential last season and I'm not sure he should have been a Pro Bowler. This year, he is utilizing his super-human closing speed and getting in proper position; probably because he has another stud playing along side of him.

He's the defense's MVP so far this season and a lot of fun to watch.

No doubt playing next to those different players last year was a burden for Taylor. Can't understate the importance of that Landry pick where Sean's play on the field is concerned. Good read.
Exactly, which is why they drafted Landry, and they said all along. So, not only did we get the best Defensive Player in the draft, they were able to unleash Sean Taylor by that one draft pick. Pretty impressive, in my opinion. Go Sean Taylor, Go Laron Landry! Go Redskins!

HTTR!

Archived