Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Long Term Personnel Questions

Thoth

This is one of those if you have time to kill threads.

It is kind of long, but has a question about how the next two years drafts/FA should go.

To be honest, age and durability concerns of Sellers aside, I would have him as the #2 back if I were in charge. I think he gets both those 4th and shorts, not that I'd put him in over Portis.

You begin to wonder if Moss or Portis are worth what we're paying them, but they aren't going anywhere. I'm not saying that reflexively after just the last game, but in broader context. I can think of at least 10 receivers I'd rather have than Moss, especcially when size factored in, and the same is true at RB given Portis' durability concerns. You begin to wonder if Portis is ever going to be consistently healthy. But they are both easily top-20 players at their positions.

We need to draft like 2-3 WRs, and some OL. This offense is screaming for a bigger 6'3" or bigger receiver. You hope the good D doesn't make FO overlook LDE yet again, this should be a high pick.

To me, the big question is how much Thomas and Jansen have left in the tank? At what point do you make them back-ups, would they agree? Do you spend some high picks on OL, and start them? High picks, let them learn a year? You can't have real high picks on bench these days?

JC, Cooley, Samuels. . .If you make the calculation that the line can get by one more year, then you draft DE, WR, WR for sure (not all that high),

Then you have the cap. Once Lloyd is cut, we have his and Arch's dead cap space. Is there money to extend all these guys? And if you cut Springs, is there a cap hit? If you cut Springs, do you honestly trust Rogers & Smoot to start? Do you have to draft another CB, or is there someone servicable at nickel?

This may mean you need to draft DE, WR, WR, CB,

But realistically, we need to start thinking Washington strong-side LB replacement in wings, ala Blades at MLB. This can probably wait a year with Godfrey/Washington. . .

So that means draft DE, WR, WR, CB, SLB

But ideally, we could use another solid depth DE, maybe even 2, and one more solid DT once Griffins deal is up or as he ages.

DE, WR, WR. CB, SLB, DE, DT

WR, suppose we have Moss, ARE, and Thrash after this year. McCardell and Caldwell presumably stop-gaps? You'd hope we draft one WR high, another, mid-rounder, both tall, big, physical.

That's all our picks, except OL, which I purposely left till last. The entire list above assumes personnel are actually available, and you just totally ignore free agency and OL.

Assuming you get a supplemental pick for Dockery, you could then draft:

DE, DE, WR, WR, CB, SLB, DT

Only other question is back-up to McIntosh, but skip that. . .assuming blades or SLB can fill in. . .but hell, lets add it. . .

DE, DE, WR, WR, CB, SLB, WLB, DT

But we also have 2 ancient QBs, one overpaid, so assuming one goes, also you want real insurance for Campbell, someone young you can develop and have true insurance at most important position, that is:

DE, DE, WR, WR, CB, SLB, WLB, DT, QB

Take the proposition that OL next year is: Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen. Heyer is the only starting-caliber back-up, assuming he comes back from hamstring. . .Assuming this bunch was healthy, it is certainly one of the best lines in football, but. . .

So basically, if you wanted to be a well rounded team with depth everywhere except OL, you need one more solid draft, maybe a few good FA signings to account for busts.

It obviously won't play out this way, so how do you draft, what FAs are coming up, etc. Don't you in fact draft some OL this year, along with WR, DE?

If you're GM, what FAs do you target, and what, roughly, does your draft look-like position wise.

Mine, for what its worth, would be:

1st three rounds: DE, WR, OL (any order depending on talent)

Last 4 rounds: (assuming extra pick for Dockery) DE, WR, OL, CB or DT or WR or QB depending on Best Player Available.

The only remaining question is what talent is looking like for OL next two years: do you draft more one year anticipating deeper draft in one?

Realistically you probably draft some OL this year, some next. Having Heyer, a potential future LT, is HUGE. Let this guy take his time coming back from injury.

Anyone with time to kill, have at it. . .and comment on what back-ups or situational players really impress.

I think we go best player available at DE, WR, CB, OL-G in the first 3 rounds. The NY Giants have done very well drafting D lineman in the late 1st and 2nd rounds. Would love to finally have a premier DE -- the Giants arguably have 4 of them. Though Andre is coming on strong.

CB can wait IMO, especially if Springs stays on another year and stays healthy this one. :2cents:

This definitely was a "time to kill" thread. This is how I see the following seasons panning out:

1. As you said, our offense is screaming for a big WR to free up everyone else. I believe we will get this WR in free agency via a trade for Larry Fitzgerald. He simply is not happy there, and he would complement Santana perfectly. He is a threat in the endzone and crossing routes as well. He is also young, which would give him time to grow with JC. For the rest of our WRs, I would keep Moss, ARE, Thrash, and Caldwell. That gives us five WRs that could stay together for the next couple years.

2. Thus, we don't have to use the draft to round out our WR corps. We can then go after a DE in the first round and a G in the second round. Kendall is old, and Thomas is getting up there, so perhaps we'll need to pick up another G through FA or the draft. I honestly think we can get by with Samuels, Heyer, and Wade for the next couple years, so perhaps we don't have to use a draft pick in this upcoming draft for an OT.

3. We will definitely cut Springs after this year. He plays well, but he obviously does not want to restructure his contract for us, and it seems like he's just playing for the money with some of the comments he makes. I say we go after a CB in the second round to take over our #1 CB spot, and perhaps leave the OL for the later rounds, where you can get a value pick. Whitticker, if we pick him up soon, might be able to start in our system, and Bugel was very high on him before he was injured. He's only 25, and that might help out our G situation. I'm scared about the corner position, because after round #1, it's a crapshoot.

4. For the QB position, I would say we get rid of Brunell after this year. He's served well, and Collins has shown he's a competent back-up. I don't know what the coaches think of Jordan Palmer, but I believe we won't spend picks in back-to-back years on a late-round QB. Knowing this, we'll probably pick up a third QB through FA so we can focus are more needed positions, such as WLB as you mentioned before. Marcus Washington still has a good deal of time left before he's gone, but he's getting injured frequently. It would be nice if Sartz was the answer, but I'm not sure that he's going to be. If that's the case, we should try to get a value pick at WLB like we did for MLB with Blades. If Fletcher can play for longer than we anticipate (more than two years), then maybe we can have Blades play WLB in the meantime while searching for a replacement there.

5. I believe Golston and Monty can hold down the fort at DT for many years, so I'm not sure that we need to draft a DT in the upcoming draft. Griffin still has a couple years left, and I don't think we need to tinker with that. DE on the other hand is something where we need to spend a couple picks on just so at least one pans out. We do have Wilson, but Daniels is gone after this season I believe, and we might need to venture into FA in order to pick up someone who can play competently here.

Is Sellers capable of carrying the ball as many times as a #2 back?

As far as 2008 FA goes I would explore getting:

1. DE Jared Allen

2. WR Bryant Johnson

3. Veteran QB - perhaps Josh McKown

4. I guess we have to at least look at Alan Faneca or even Max Starks. Kendall's status is unknown and Jansen might be finished. Actually, I would be willing to look at any DL or OL FA's from the Steeler's because they're deep and damn good on both sides of the ball IMO.

5. Draft BPA as per usual and hopefully in areas of greatest need.

At QB-Josh McCown and Rex Grossman if the Bears give up on him. He is a competent #3 QB and nothing provides greater depth than two former starting quarterbacks and one of which has been to the SB. Don't know about cap space, but I don't think that either of them could command too much money.

At RB (I can dream)- If Donovan leaves Philly, it should signal a fire sale of sorts. Would Brian Westbrook want to come home and play on a team with his brother. Free Agency of course. Unrestricted

At WR- Larry Fitzgerald. Is the guy from Penn State who went to Eleanor Roosevelt, Derrick Williams eligible this year?

On the OL- Resign Whittacker, get Jared Gaither from Ravens for second day draft choice.

On DL-Draft best available DE-Hopefully Calais Campbell (but I don't think we'll finish low enough to get him) so Kendall Langford. (Wish list again) Danny breaks the bank for Julius Pepper

At LB- (Wish list) Would anyone object to Shawne coming back to DC. He has a house here.

At CB- I believe Springs is gone. I don't trust Carlos. Smoot is not as valuable as proported. Wholesale changes need to be made. I know that character issues will come up, but I am willing to take the chance, if the player can get his life turned around. Here we go. Don't yell too loud in the Post Replies that are sent.

FA-Namdi Asomaghua

FA- Pac Man Jones

Safety is fine

Special Teams is fine.

I relent on the Westbrook, Merriman and Jones signings, but the rest I am dead serious about.

At QB-Josh McCown and Rex Grossman if the Bears give up on him. He is a competent #3 QB and nothing provides greater depth than two former starting quarterbacks and one of which has been to the SB. Don't know about cap space, but I don't think that either of them could command too much money.

At RB (I can dream)- If Donovan leaves Philly, it should signal a fire sale of sorts. Would Brian Westbrook want to come home and play on a team with his brother. Free Agency of course. Unrestricted

At WR- Larry Fitzgerald. Is the guy from Penn State who went to Eleanor Roosevelt, Derrick Williams eligible this year?

On the OL- Resign Whittacker, get Jared Gaither from Ravens for second day draft choice.

On DL-Draft best available DE-Hopefully Calais Campbell (but I don't think we'll finish low enough to get him) so Kendall Langford. (Wish list again) Danny breaks the bank for Julius Pepper

At LB- (Wish list) Would anyone object to Shawne coming back to DC. He has a house here.

At CB- I believe Springs is gone. I don't trust Carlos. Smoot is not as valuable as proported. Wholesale changes need to be made. I know that character issues will come up, but I am willing to take the chance, if the player can get his life turned around. Here we go. Don't yell too loud in the Post Replies that are sent.

FA-Namdi Asomaghua

FA- Pac Man Jones

Safety is fine

Special Teams is fine.

I relent on the Westbrook, Merriman and Jones signings, but the rest I am dead serious about.

Fitz went to Pitt FYI

First I disagree that we are really hurting at WR. I think more time will help, however, i think one of the following will be gone for sure:

Lloyd, Caldwell, Thrash, Moss (In decreasing order of likelihood)

I would most like to get a big target WR or a solid POsession guy in the first or second round (I like Marcus monk, but not everyone here thinks that. There was a guy on Oklahoma's team that was good.)

RB - We need to evaluate this area strongly.

Is Cartright a preenial Special Teamer, or is he a good #2 Back.

Betts, can we use him as Trade Fodder for more picks, or a player we may need or want.

Portis COntract prohibits trading him, but I really feel we need to get a young Back in here to help out. Now I like Steve Slaton from WVU, but I would like just as much if not more if we got Super Fullback-TightEnd Owen Schmidt froM WVU. The guy is a monster, he can block, run and catch, and could lign up as an Hback, tight end, or full back in any formation. Don't get me wrong Yoder's a good blocker and sellars is a man, but Schmidt is a beast, groom him behind Sellars and I'd feel pretty good about our blocking for years to come. However, unless there is nothing else we like in the first or second round (where I project he may go, he could fall possibly), I'm not sure we can waste a pick on that right now, so we have to assume we stick with what we have a bit longer.

QB - Brunnel should be traded, in fact asked to look for any teams that might want him, we don't need a lot for him, just so long as we can get rid of him without killing our Cap. We got to keep Todd Collins for now, I don't know if Palmer is the answer at #3, but we might be able to get someone to help there. Third round might be a good place (assuming we still have a pick there) to target a QB if we need one to groom behind Jason.

DT - I think we are solid at DT with Monty and Golston, Griffin is still showing some age, so I'd look at drafting another DT late if we can find a good one, maybe a 2 gapper would be nice. If he's still on the board maybe someone like Keillan Dykes of WVU

DE - I like where we are at DE, and I don't want to get rid of Daniels, but I do think we need a young first day pick spent on DE. It doesn't necessarily need to be a first rounder, but should be done in the second.

OL - I think we need to get a good OLineman on the firstday. So here's what I'd do:

LB - Marcus is showing a lot of age and injury prone lately, I'd like to find a guy to groom behind him, and I don't know that Sartz is that. Rocky is looking solid, as is Bladz. so no reason not to keep our eyes out for a good LB prospect behind Marcus (Maybe a FA acquisition here)

CB - I think we need to invest in a Cornerback, but I'd not do it in the first round. Smoot was good for us out of the third, so depending on how the draft falls, and if we don't pickup someone in FA I'd look for someone in the Second unless BPA is a CB in First Round. (but that makes me nervous)

First Round, best available between:

DE, WR, OL, CB

Second Round other than what we just drafted best value between:

DE, WR, OL, CB, LB

Third Round Best Value of the following:

OL, QB, LB, DT, DE, CB

later rounds:

Ideally we will fill a few slots in FA, we should draft at least one Oline man, probably a tackle or guard, a Wide Receiver (Big and possession style, not a midget), Defensive End, Linebacker, Corner Back.

other than that I don't care, but I don't think we should draft two WRs we won't be able to add both to our roster next year so it would be a wasted pick.

Let's not forget we had some guys that were injured early in camp that might be good fits if healthy next year (Espy anyone?)

FA-Namdi Asomaghua

FA- Pac Man Jones

Safety is fine

Special Teams is fine.

Actually, I was thinking about it, and Westbrook would be the perfect runningback for Saunders system.

I think Pac Man would be a good signing, I think between Gibbs and Williams they could definately make sure he stays straight.

We have no shot at Gaither, but we desperately need a guard (drafted). We need someone who is an absolutely beast in run blocking.

DL we need a DE and also Griff is getting up in age, DT would be an area of concern.

Marcus is getting older, so he needs a replacement pretty soon.

it's one thing for the team to pick up another team's garbage

it's an entirely different thing for a team to pick up another teams TALENTED garbage.

Fitz went to Pitt FYI

I pretty much agree with everything you said. As far as Fitz going to Pitt, you will have to excuse my grammar and syntax. I was suggesting Larry Fitzgerald as the answer to our WR problem. Then I was asking if Derrick Williams from Penn State was available in this draft. DW went to Eleanor Roosevelt and received a lot of ink in high school and the beginning of college. Then he was injured and Penn State went on a losing binge. I haven't heard a great deal about him since.

I have read somethings about Monk. He got injured and no one knows how he will recover. I think the WR from Oklahoma's name is Sneed. He was hurt as well. So, I do know about Manningham and then I am not aware of any other really big name WR in college.

Thanks for the back up on Westbrook. I know it is a dream, but he and Portis would wear defenses out.

My biggest worry is that Santana is not happy here in the new system and will request a trade and I don't think we will get that much for him. (bigger brother only got a 4th)

WRs are like exotic sports cars, they hardly ever run right out of the showroom, take a long time to get right going and if they do everyone wants them...if they don't then they are a waste of time. Drafting a WR is my least favorite option but we do need someone, and man after years of resisting I would love a tall big target for Campbell to grow with but we need the speed to take advantage of his arm. Draft : Undecided

OL : I love Jansen but his days maybe comming to an end, as a starter at least, you have to figure there will be at least an open competition at RT. I would like to get someone like Whitticker back in here but yu only draft LT in the first round. Draft : 2/3nd back up guard/RT.

RB : Betts and Portis are a good combo to have and with Rock as the kick returner there are not enough roster spaces to groom a high round pick unless the right guy falls to you : Draft probably not

QB : Campbell is the man, Collins probably still servicable, late round pick prospect ..hell why not. Draft 5/6 round

TE : Cooley is the man (wow dejavu). But there is nothing behind him. Yoda is servicable but could you imagine the Gibbs passing attack with a Cooley clone on the other end ... no, well probably not gonna happen but if you could get a Derek Graham type blocker out there it could free Cooley up to do more . The best thing about TEs is they are not that highly valued at least not blocking ones. Draft 3-5th round

FB : Sellars needs a back up. FB not the glamor possition in the NFL look to accumalte picks in the later round with day two trades at pick someone up late or through UDFA: Draft possible 6/7th round

DL : DT we have a good youth movement going on right now at DT, Alexander, Mongomery and Golston, couple that with Griffin and again not to many slots left to fill . If Griff starts to wear down I think a replacement would be better comming from FA . DE however we need to be looking for Daniels replacement, and other than Peppers comming here the pickings in FA are slim . Evans will be nothing more than a depth guy and Wilson is a something of a one trick pony. I don't like using high draft picks on the line but if the right man is available go for it. Draft No DT 1-3rd rounds DE

LB: We picked up a steel in Blades last year but need to be looking to replace Washington and Fletcher in years to come, most probably Washington first. LBs are one of the possitions we have had some sucess with in the past in the draft. If the right guy is there get him early, otherwise i think Washinton has enough in the tank for one more year at least so if we could get another prospect find take him. Remeber though we have 5 guys which are virtual locks, that only leaves 1 or 2 slots so you cannot overload . Draft Anywhere.

S : Err fox is the only bubble guy, Doughty is a good special teamer and the other 3 PP, ST and LL are locks - no real room at the inn. Draft - late rounds if BPA otherwise no

CB : Springs i love him but he is on the downside and possibly out this year . Rogers is really comming on leaps and bounds, he still has a couple of bad plays a game but is turning into a legit No1 guy. Smoot is a nickle back at this point in his career could spot at No.2. but is not a guy i would like to rely on. We have to look at CB again this year, 1st round is possibly too high and too much invested in the secondary, although it is paying dividends right now and good teams are now drafting to thier strengths so it is not out of the question (though how 4 DB in 6 years would look is questionable). The problem is good CBS dont come into FA and if they do they are expensive. It is more ecconomical to draft them high for projected starters and build depth in the dying hours of day 2. Draft 1-3,

K/P/LS - We are not a good enough team to be drafting kickers right now. Suisham is servicable until the next guy, Frost is a find and Albright is mr REDskin : Draft no - UFDA possible

I think Rock is undervalued as a RB personally. Rock has the perfect size for a change of pace back. Defenses hate guys like Rock because of his size - he's elusive and reminds me of guys like Maurice Jones-Drew.

I wonder why the heck Green Bay never traded up with us to get Adrian Peterson? The guy is the best RB in the game right now by a large margin I think.

What should happen? We need to start thinking long term on the offensive line. Games are won in the trenches (NE and Philly figured this out and that is what they draft). We need to have a nice mix in the draft between oline and dline. Many olinemen, especially guards, can come in immediately and contribute. I don't know if there are a whole lot of big guards out there in this draft but we could use one. The oline needs to be addressed over the next three drafts with an emphasis on this draft.

Dline is getting better. I believe Montgomery and Golston can be good in this league for years. Both have played well for us this year. AC still has plenty in the tank as he is on track for a 10+ sack year. We have a couple of other projects on our team but we are actually getting pressure with the front four. I wouldn't be opposed to an absolute first round stud as imposing as Peppers but nothing short of that is worthy of first round consideration.

This is my first time addressing this situation but I think we need a WR. Moss is solid but I would like to see someone able to compliment him. Manningham would be nice but I don't think we are drafting that high. Fitz is unhappy but I do not want to break the bank for him. I would not want to give up a first rounder, which he is worthy of because of long term contract issues. I'd consider a second in 2008 and a third in 2009 but the Cards would be dumb to do that.

I've heard somebody saying we need a #1 CB but Carlos is that guy in the future. I can see keeping Springs around one more year as well. Secondary is already loaded.

Linebackers are fine for now and doesn't need to be addressed.

1. DE Jared Allen

2. WR Bryant Johnson

4. I guess we have to at least look at Alan Faneca or even Max Starks. Kendall's status is unknown and Jansen might be finished. Actually, I would be willing to look at any DL or OL FA's from the Steeler's because they're deep and damn good on both sides of the ball IMO.

Bryant Johnson is who I've said all along that we should pick up. That would be a good pick up.

You know for all the angst about the losses to the Giants and Packers I feel this team is really close to being very good. To look at the glass as half full we are two second half melt downs away from a perfect record.

That said we have seen the short comings we all knew were there - inconsistent pass rush from the front 4, questionable depth on the O'Line and the lack of a true possession WR.

I think LDE, WR, OG, T and CB are the needs going into next year.

LDE - Daniels is about done. He is playing well and is still goood versus the run but is no pass rush threat. If we could get a pass rusher on the other end to Carter it would make our D super dangerous. We need ti think about replacing Griffin at some point at DT as well but one thing at a time.

WR - Moss is a borderline #1 and an elite #2 ARE is playing lights out but is beter as a #3 IMO. We need a big target who we can go to as well as Cooley in the red zone and when we need 5 or 6 for the 1st down. Fitzgerald would be great but would cost a #1 I would think which I would like to see spent on either line.

OG/T - more depth picks at this point as I think the current line as at least another year in it but I want guys on the first day or young free agents who will replace Jansen, Thomas and Kendall in a couple of years and who will give us cover for the injuries which are killing us this year.

CB - Springs is gone next year. Rogers is playing very well and Smoot is great nickle corner but I think we need to replace Springs with a #1 type corner via free agency.

On the O we have Campbell, Cooley, Moss, ARE, Samuels, Thomas, Rabach and - if healthy - Portis to build around.

On the D we have Carter, Griffin, Washington, Rocky, Fletcher, Taylor, Landry and Rogers.

Thats a pretty solid foundation.

I'm most worried about CB, if we lose Springs. Say what you want about Springs in the past, the fact is the entire secondary is producing right now. The worst play is a muffed tackle by Rogers all season long? I think the Redskins should do what it takes to make sure we have a #1 CB next season, whether it's keeping Springs, or replacing him. I don't think Rogers is quite ready.

During the offseason, I'd work Mason and see if he's the real deal or not. If so, bring him as a #2 and see what we can get for Betts in trade. Rock can serve as a FB or HB, and backup Sellers if needed.

I think McCardell has proven we need the big possession receiver.

And the biggest focus, offensive line. Our offensive line is getting old. We've gotten youth into the D-Line, now it's time to start grooming some offensive lineman. This upcoming draft, imo, is the draft we spent our first round pick on a tackle or guard. We do that, and CP will have a 1500+ yards and at least 15 touchdowns next year.

CP is a great running back but I have said all along that he is not durable enough to play in the NFC East. Betts is a better fit and would do well if he were getting the ball 30 times a game. He gets better with each touch. Trouble is he,too, couldn't do that for an entire season. He has always had injury issues as well. Santana Moss and ARE are great wide outs but we still need a go to possession type receiver. The closest thing we have to that is McCardell but he's a bit long in the tooth.

1. DE Jared Allen

2. WR Bryant Johnson

I like all of these additions but I would say maybe draft a top defensive end and sign Bryant Johnson.

However, it would be nice to sign Allen and Johnson, then use our first round pick on the best available receiver.

Moss, Randle El, Johnson, and 1st round pick = one great corp. of receivers for Campbell.

First and foremost this team needs to get Campbell some playmakers because he is going to be a stud.

Defensive end is definitely a need but I think with the way our defense is playing we could get buy with drafting one in the 2 or 3rd round.

Fitz went to Pitt FYI

Portis COntract prohibits trading him, but I really feel we need to get a young Back in here to help out. Now I like Steve Slaton from WVU, but I would like just as much if not more if we got Super Fullback-TightEnd Owen Schmidt froM WVU. The guy is a monster, he can block, run and catch, and could lign up as an Hback, tight end, or full back in any formation. Don't get me wrong Yoder's a good blocker and sellars is a man, but Schmidt is a beast, groom him behind Sellars and I'd feel pretty good about our blocking for years to come. However, unless there is nothing else we like in the first or second round (where I project he may go, he could fall possibly), I'm not sure we can waste a pick on that right now, so we have to assume we stick with what we have a bit longer.

DT - If he's still on the board maybe someone like Keillan Dykes of WVU

YOU CAN'T BE A COLLEGE HOMER WHEN DRAFTING FOR THE REDSKINS!!!!!!

I've got news for you buddy....Steve Slaton wont be **** in the NFL! The only reason he does well in college is because he runs behind a very good O line and has huge wholes to run through. He also doesn't play a defense worth a sh*t the whole year!

YOU CAN'T BE A COLLEGE HOMER WHEN DRAFTING FOR THE REDSKINS!!!!!!

I've got news for you buddy....Steve Slaton wont be **** in the NFL! The only reason he does well in college is because he runs behind a very good O line and has huge wholes to run through. He also doesn't play a defense worth a sh*t the whole year!

Virginia Tech fan? :whoknows:

Offensive Line should be the priority followed by general overall depth unless they cannot/will not keep Springs and then we will need another starting caliber CB.

However, this is likely to change between now and the end of the season. Who knows who else will get injured and prove to us that some position we thought had solid depth is really very thin?

Archived