Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flying in from Germany for the Cards game

TTZimmler

Hi fellow - extremeskins!

Although I still cannot bellieve that the Skins let the game on Sunday slip away, I´m really looking forward to my trip to Fedex Field the upcoming weekend.

Since I´ll turn 30 on Sunday, I decided that a trip from Germany would be a nice thing to do on that occasion! I´ll catch the Terps on Saturday and on Sunday I´ll be in section 142 screaming my lungs out!

After the game I´d like to watch the late games somewhere near Fedex-Field. I´d also like to go to a BBQ-place (probably on Monday). Are there any places in the area you can recommend?!

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany!

Tilman

Go Skins!!!

Congrats on 30 and getting to see a game. Hope both are memorable and happy.

What kind of barbecue do you like? Spicy, greasy, Dry Rub, North Carolina, Texas, etc. There are too many variations to know how to point you? Also, what city will you be staying in so we can choose a place close to you.

Welcome back! Hope you bring some luck with you.

I don't know about places to watch other games near FedEx, though there are a number of hotels in the area that I'm sure will show them.

As for BBQ, I can recommend a couple of places: Rocklands and Urban BBQ.

There are three Rocklands in the area. I've only eaten at the one in Glover Park (NW Washington) but I'm sure the ones in Alexandria and Rockville are pretty much equal in quality. Best baby back ribs I've even had, bar none. The meat literally falls right off the bone. So tender. Great sauce to accompany them. Everything they serve is smoked/grilled using a combination of hickory, mesquite & applewood (no charcoal or gas). Only gripe I have is that the sides are fairly weak. This place is definitely all about the meat.

http://www.rocklands.com/

Urban BBQ is just off the corner of Rockville Pike & Twinbrook Pkwy (in Rockville, obviously). Awesome North Carolina style BBQ with classic, tasty sides. If you go you I recommend the pulled pork platter with a Soul Roll appetizer. Expect it to be very crowded if you go at lunchtime on a weekday. Kind of tough to find a seat sometimes, but when a place is this good, people tend to flock to it.

http://www.urbanbbqco.com/

You can't wrong with either one. Both these places are head and shoulders above Red Hot & Blue. Stay away from Old Glory in Georgetown at all costs, unless you like dry, low quality meat.

Hope that helps! Have a safe trip.

edit: E-dog Memphis BBQ > NC BBQ no comparison

That is, of course, a matter of opinion, though I do like Memphis style as well as St. Louis. When I go to Urban, I like to dip the pulled pork in the different sauces. That vinegary/BBQ sauce combo is like getting the best of all worlds at once.

That is, of course, a matter of opinion, though I do like Memphis style as well as St. Louis. When I go to Urban, I like to dip the pulled pork in the different sauces. That vinegary/BBQ sauce combo is like getting the best of all worlds at once.

being forced to eat NC style in NC, I can say that the "vinegary sauce" is something you can get used to but I could do without it. But I'm sure that quality has something to do with that (no quality BBQ in Boone) and I'll check out the places you mentioned in the fall when I visit. A BBQ joint is only as good as their ribs and great ribs require no sauce at all :cheers:

being forced to eat NC style in NC, I can say that the "vinegary sauce" is something you can get used to but I could do without it. But I'm sure that quality has something to do with that (no quality BBQ in Boone) and I'll check out the places you mentioned in the fall when I visit. A BBQ joint is only as good as their ribs and great ribs require no sauce at all :cheers:

Strange... I live in TN but I like NC bbq. We need to switch places :)

If you are ever on the Piedmont, go to Lexington BBQ. Some of the best BBQ in the United States.

(I love the vinegary sauce)

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I´ll be staying in Capitol Heights - hopefully there´s some place to watch the late games!

And regarding the style of BBQ: Remember, I´m from Germany - we don´t have a lot BBQs to choose from! :D

I´m pretty open minded when it comes to meat - although I really like spicy food!

• 2 weeks later...
Red, hot and blue is a safe bet for good BBQ and has a number of locations in VA and MD. Most have some cool memorabilia of Memphis, Elvis and such displayed on the walls. I'd rate it a 9.

http://www.redhotandblue.com/Virginia/locations-states.htm

Everybody,

Thanks a lot for all your recommendations - I stopped by the Red, Hot & Blue in Alexandria on my way back to the airport! The BBQ was really excellent!

Best regards from Germany,

Til

Red, hot and blue is a safe bet for good BBQ and has a number of locations in VA and MD. Most have some cool memorabilia of Memphis, Elvis and such displayed on the walls. I'd rate it a 9.

http://www.redhotandblue.com/Virginia/locations-states.htm

Everybody,

Thanks a lot for all your recommendations - I stopped by the Red, Hot & Blue in Alexandria on my way back to the airport! The BBQ was really excellent!

Best regards from Germany,

Til

Archived