Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Superbowl may be headed to London

SkinsOrlando

SB outside of this country is the dumbesst idea ever. worse than the jump to conclusions mat. i would however like to move the probowl to week 13 and make the game meaningful like baseball does. winning conference team in the game gets choice of kick or receive in the bowl and do away with celebrity cointoss. therefore it wont look like players are just doing us all a favor out there. because the probowl is a straight up joke, no blitzing(what the hell is that). i wanna see the best of the best play like they got a pair. or just get rid of the game all together

First, stop bashing Goodell because he's done a great job at policing the scum factor in the NFL and cleaning the league up. How anyone has a problem with the job Goodell has done thus far on this front (plus trying to help former players getting a fair pension from the selfish current players) is beyond me.

Second this what his job entails, bringing revenue to his bosses (the owners) pockets. Goodell wouldn't be exploring this possibility if he didn't have blessing (perhaps even the order) from the owners. The NFL has long (way before Goodell) tried to expand it's reach into other world markets.

From broadcasting games overseas. First SB broadcast live overseas was our SB against the Dolphins in January of 1983.

To America Bowls. First one in 1985.

To NFL Europe. 1991

To now a regular season game in London.

And yes eventually a Super Bowl.

I too am against the last two moves as is everyone else, but this is today's world of sports. It's all about making money. I hate how stadiums are now all about the club seats and corporate suites, but understand that it's how teams make their money now.

First, stop bashing Goodell because he's done a great job at policing the scum factor in the NFL and cleaning the league up. How anyone has a problem with the job Goodell has done thus far on this front (plus trying to help former players getting a fair pension from the selfish current players) is beyond me.

Second this what his job entails, bringing revenue to his bosses (the owners) pockets. Goodell wouldn't be exploring this possibility if he didn't have blessing (perhaps even the order) from the owners. The NFL has long (way before Goodell) tried to expand it's reach into other world markets.

From broadcasting games overseas. First SB broadcast live overseas was our SB against the Dolphins in January of 1983.

To America Bowls. First one in 1985.

To NFL Europe. 1991

To now a regular season game in London.

And yes eventually a Super Bowl.

I too am against the last two moves as is everyone else, but this is today's world of sports. It's all about making money. I hate how stadiums are now all about the club seats and corporate suites, but understand that it's how teams make their money now.

He's done an Ok job not great job. There are some questionable decisions. Either way this doesn't have anything to do with this because it is absolutely asinine. How terrible would this be? Shunning your own country.

No offense to our European fans but how can the SB in any place other than America even be a consideration? It is bad enough teams must travel to Europe to play regular season games.:doh:

I don't think European fans would be offended at all. UNLESS the UEFA Champions League (huge european soccer tournament/playoffs) final match was played in the United States. I don't think even a English Premier League game has ever been played over here.

I can't quite figure out Goodell. Does he truly believe that we might actually play the biggest sporting event of American history in a foreign country? Or is he just stating a "worse case" to then give us a "not-so-bad" case which we'll be more accepting of.

The NFL is NOT committed to die-hard fans. They don't need to be because you all will watch and buy NFL paraphenilia. They are after the fringe fan, of which the though is there are more potential fans/$$ overseas than are in the US. Until the regular fans complain loudly, the NFL will do whatever it wants, because most of us are suckers.

I believe this is absolutly ridiculous. The fans that support these teams throughout the season are in the United States and they should play in the states so it is less costly for these fans to attend the game. Who cares if the sport is international!

Soccer holligans will take over the Super Bowl. :doh:

These people make Raider fan and Philly fan look like girl scouts.

Nothing like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady having to dodge flying bags of urine, flaming bags of poo, :pooh: or anything else these nutjobs throw on the pitch during European "football" games.

Get the S.W.A.T. team ready. :cop:

Out of curiosity, why is this controversial?

The Super Bowl is a completely artificial construct. It's played in a different city every year. It's been played in non-NFL stadiums. Fans of the home team only get 5000 or so tickets each.

If the Redskins are in the Super Bowl, what difference does it make to me if it is played in London or Phoenix. They are both really far away and I'm probably not going. (Though, to be honest, there is a better chance I go to London. Phoenix? Um...no).

Here is the obvious solution by the way: The NFL builds its own stadium in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl.

Eh, move the Pro Bowl to before the SB if you want and play some games out of the states. Neither of those moves really affect anything. Teams fly a lot anyway and as for the Pro Bowl, well Super Bowl starters would just opt to skip it to stay healthy. Hey I'd probably actually watch the Pro Bowl if it was before the Super Bowl. Why not the same day as the SB as an early game? These are ideas that I like.

But moving the SB out of the states? Even as a one time thing? Worst. Idea. Ever. The Super Bowl is distinctly and exclusively American from a cultural perspective. What are they going to do, server tea and crumpets at half-time? No offense to any European folks, but the Super Bowl is basically a holiday here. It is the World Cup for Americans. Moving it overseas to garner worldwide publicity, while possibly a successful move, alienates the original fan base of the sport. What about the fans who buy their tickets months in advance and spend the weekend there regardless of the teams playing? Its a pastime for a lot of people AND an important revenue generator for many towns. Why do you think Detroit lobbies for the game and gets it so often? They need the income! How about lets help our country's economy rather than exporting the game to a country where it will largely equate to a circus show for the people attending; lots of fun to watch but devoid of any meaning whatsoever.

Here is the obvious solution by the way: The NFL builds its own stadium in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl.

I've been thinking that would be an awesome idea for YEARS, although Las Vegas is definitely not in need of any economic help. At least it would be guarnteed to be in a neutral location every year.

As a UK fan this is stupid .... really stupid there is no way people should be talking about the superbowl anywhere but the US... the probowl would be a good game to move around but even that is debatable ..

The other thing is whoever is about publicising the London Dolphins/Giants game need firing and less than 2 weeks from the game i have heard nothing...nothing on the national press radio, print or TV ...JOKE

The NFL is NOT committed to die-hard fans. They don't need to be because you all will watch and buy NFL paraphenilia. They are after the fringe fan, of which the though is there are more potential fans/$$ overseas than are in the US. Until the regular fans complain loudly, the NFL will do whatever it wants, because most of us are suckers.
So sad and yet so true!:(

As a UK fan this is stupid .... really stupid there is no way people should be talking about the superbowl anywhere but the US... the probowl would be a good game to move around but even that is debatable ..

The other thing is whoever is about publicising the London Dolphins/Giants game need firing and less than 2 weeks from the game i have heard nothing...nothing on the national press radio, print or TV ...JOKE

This is what i'm talking about.

No one inside Europe gave two craps about NFL Europa. There were some fans in Germany, but nothing to keep a leaugue going.

They sell out Wembley in three minutes for a regular season game sure, but outside of that no one cares.

Europeans would rather watch cycling that American football.

The day they make their own league withouth the help of the NFL and start producing players like their basketball programs do, then I'll beleive Football is a proper commoditiy for sale in Europe. Until then, it's far too american for anyone else to like.

I don't care where it's played... it's never going to be up there with world cup soccer and it's fan base will always be centered in the US. You can play it in Guam and it's still going to be mostly America watching.

Having said that, I don't share any of the whacky nationalistic concerns I see in this thread. whaa it's America's sport whaa. Perhaps now that we've seen the national basketball, baseball, and soccer teams beat in international play the real concern is having a single major sport in which we do still dominate.

Much ado over nothing IMO.

I doubt this will ever happen. I mean, yeah, I suppose there is a possability of it at some point but I really don't see it happening any time soon.

I think there are 5 hours between London and NY so I guess if the game were played at say 12:00 Midnite in London, then that would allow it to be shown in Prime Time here in the states. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't see a Super Bowl being played at that time and I don't see the Networks allowing there biggest draw of the year to be aired outside of Prime Time. It would, IMO, cost them millions if that happened. There is a reason companies pay the kind of money they do to have a commercial on during the Super Bowl. It's not so it can be shown at 12:00 noon here in the states. This is simply not feasable IMO.

I also don't see them trying any sort of Tape delay. Vegas would not allow it to happen IMO. More betting goes on in the last 5 hours of that game then probably any time else in the US. If you allow a tape delay, there goes all that money out the window. I just don't see it happening.

Archived