Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Superbowl may be headed to London

SkinsOrlando

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/10/15/super.bowl.ap/index.html

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says that a future Super Bowl may someday be played in London.

Goodell made the comments to reporters after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

The commissioner says that London's Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given a recent renovation and enthusiasm overseas for the game.

Wembley Stadium will host the first regular season NFL game outside North America later this month.

It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the October 28 game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants.

Goodell says that event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press

Would be the worst move in NFL history to play the superbowl outside of the states.

Dude, is Goodell a terrorist?

He wants to move the Pro Bowl to before the Super Bowl. He wants to add an extra game to the season that would take place overseas. He wants to move the Super Bowl overseas.

It's like he's trying to sabotage one of America's finest institutions, the NFL.

If the Super Bowl was in London, we'd be watching it much earlier in the day, even if they put the game on at 8pm there.

Doesn't it typically start around 7pm in the states? (DC time)

The West Coast would be watching it during lunch.. and Hawaii would watch it while cooking eggs and bacon.

London is dumb. This is our sport.

Dude, is Goodell a terrorist?
This statement is both funny and sad.

No offense to our European fans but how can the SB in any place other than America even be a consideration? It is bad enough teams must travel to Europe to play regular season games.:doh:

I think it's a great idea. The superbowl will sell out no matter what, and the travel expenses will be marginally more expensive for those intending to go.

Me personally I could care less where it's held, as long as season ticket holders don't get screwed by having regular season games played overseas.

I think it's a great idea. The superbowl will sell out no matter what, and the travel expenses will be marginally more expensive for those intending to go.

Me personally I could care less where it's held, as long as season ticket holders don't get screwed by having regular season games played overseas.

How can you say honestly that as a true AMERICAN FOOTBALL fan?

Regular season is one thing but Superbowl is absolutely ridiculous.

It would never work...As another poster mentioned, the time zone issue would be rediculous. London is 6 hours ahead of us on the east coast i think and Hawaii is 6 hours behind us on the east coast. You would have to start the game at 11pm at the earliest to be fair to anyone. You'd also be alienating a lot of fans in the united states if you're reserving tickets to be sold specifically to european fans. There is no way, no how that this could ever work...Goodell shouldn't be trying to fix something that isn't broken.

The NFL is getting worse and worse.

But, they can continue to ruin what the NFL used to stand for because it is one of the biggest Monopolies out there. Who will compete with them? No one.

I'd love to see another league to compete with the NFL somehow. Would be next to impossible.. but, I'd love to see the effort.

I hate what the NFL is becoming. Sadly, we are forced to like it.

Archived