Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Charles Woodson down by contact on the fumble recovery?

NoCalMike

I am only asking because I have a friend that lives in Houston and usually after the Skins game we talk about it(he is a Skins fan too) and he was angry because he said Woodson was clearly down by contact when he recovered the fumble and he felt the officials had a clear view and on top of that, the coaches should have challenged because it was so obvious.

Anyone have the game taped, that can go back and look at it? That play happened so fast and I was so IRATE at the fumble itself, that once Woodson took off running I was not in a clear enough state of mind to even watch the replay to see if he was down by contact....

i was thinking this and then looking at the replay i saw that when he was diving for the ball he was touched by a redskin, but when he got possession of the ball he was not touched.

I think this is correct. One angle looked like his foot might still be touching Moss when he grabbed the ball, but another angle made it pretty clear that by the time he got to the ball, there was no contact. Of course, if there was any doubt, Gibbs should have challenged, because this play was a game changer.

I raised this question in a post yesterday, and then had a chance to look at it today. I forwarded directly to that play to look at that, and unfortunately he was NOT touched once he gained control. However, it did look like Al Harris pushed Campbell in the back on the return...not significantly, but still it could have been called.

Nobody got a hand on him and nobody from our team told the coaches to throw the flag because they thought that they tagged him by down by contact. I saw it pretty clearly and I would say that I was hoping and praying that either santana or he was down by contact, it was clearly not the case.

Archived