Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor: DPOY?

Touchdown Redskins

In an effort to be positive after this past loss, I was looking at what an impressive season Sean Taylor is having and the possibility that he might win Defensive Player of the Year. Right now, we are the statistical #1 defense in the NFC, and we are definitely one of the better squads in the NFL. We have the potential to be a playoff team due to the weakness of NFC. I mention all this because usually players on winning teams get more publicity, although Jason Taylor got it last year on a losing team. In any case, look at Sean Taylor's projected season:

48 solo tackles

13 assisted tackles

61 total tackles

0 sacks (this might hurt him)

13 INTs (this number likely won't get to 13, but who knows)

26 PD (this number actually might get higher because of his range)

3 FF (this is a pretty good estimate considering he plays more in the secondary now)

0 TD (he's been very close to a pick-six, so I expect we'll see an ST TD soon)

Now granted, others are having successful seasons, but if we keep our defensive rankings near the top, and if our team gets to the playoffs, I could see ST getting a lot of publicity for this award. What do you guys think?

If he gets 61 tackles, than that's fantastic. That means that runners aren't making their way to the 2nd and 3rd level and ST is able to continue to play centerfield.

That being said, I don't think he'll make Def POY for 2 reasons:

1. Teams will stop throwing deep. They will start taking the underneath routes and sideline routes from 5-15 yards.

2. Safeties are not the 'sexiest' players for DPOY. LB and CB are the 'sexiest' players to pick from.

I do think that at this pace he deserves it.

HAIL

projected stats are usually a wash.... but i guess its good to see what he is "on pace for"

as of this week, i believe he has a good arguement to be DPOY. offenses fear him, he is a great ballhawk, he is a great tackler, has great instinct and understanding for the game.

I think it depends how successful team is, to fight media bias, he could be in runnig if we have 11 wins or more. Tough for media to give it to unheralded position on a mediocre record team.

Well Jason Taylor won it last year, but he had a phenomenal year. 13 picks on one year would probably rank up there with phenomenal, but we'll see. I think last year set a precedent about unheralded teams having superb players winning the award.

Not to be a downer, but am I the only one who saw Favre throw short to his receivers on the long-ball yesterday. It looked like a couple times, if Brett makes a decent throw, that they had a sure TD. He hung it out there long enough for ST to gain ground, but it did look a lot like Brett had something to do with those INTs.

Not to be a downer, but am I the only one who saw Favre throw short to his receivers on the long-ball yesterday. It looked like a couple times, if Brett makes a decent throw, that they had a sure TD. He hung it out there long enough for ST to gain ground, but it did look a lot like Brett had something to do with those INTs.

true.... but the throws were off because of the pressure in his face. he knew he didnt have all day to throw it and he wanted to get rid of it as soon as he could. this is brett favre, not some rookie qb who just completely missed open guys

There are a few players that could get it as of now: Nick Barnett is having a great year for GB, Osi from the Giants has 7 sacks (although 6 of those came in one game), and Albert Haynesworth because of his total dominance of the line of scrimmage. Right now, I'd have to give it to ST because of how good we are playing on the defensive side of the ball.

All the others defensive players in the league suck so far. Peppers has like 1 sack, Freeney as well. Urlacher stinks, Ed Reed is solid but not the best safety. Jason Taylor is doing okay, but that's about it. Merriman has like 4 sacks, nothing special. Taylor has a good shot if he gets [close] to 10 interceptions. He needs to scored 1-2 touchdowns though.

7-8 picks, 1-2 touchdowns. That should be enough.

Yea I asked a Cowboy fan what he thought about Sean Taylor Saturday at the UVA game. Outside of Scott Stadium, He said he sucked. I was like wow. I said well Sean Taylor is ****ing better then Roy any day. And that he is better and coverage and can knock the **** outta everyone and doesn't bite the dust like Roy. I was like remember 2005 Santana Moss the Monday night game. He got pissed. I laughed and walked away.

Cowboy fans are so ****y its annoying.

LOL I shut him up.

I wish ST could have pulled in 4 INT's yesterday, that would have been awesome. If not DPOY, then surely Pro Bowl. And the best part is that finally everyone is realizing that Roy Williams aint crap compared to ST.

Don't know about DPOY. I agree with those who've said it depends on our record, despite what happened with Jason Taylor last year.

That said, I was really impressed with how well ST broke on those passes yesterday. Combined with him coming from the other sideline to make that hit on Thrash's punt return last week, it shows that if ST is anywhere on the field, he's a threat.

Yea I asked a Cowboy fan what he thought about Sean Taylor Saturday at the UVA game. Outside of Scott Stadium, He said he sucked. I was like wow. I said well Sean Taylor is ****ing better then Roy any day. And that he is better and coverage and can knock the **** outta everyone and doesn't bite the dust like Roy. I was like remember 2005 Santana Moss the Monday night game. He got pissed. I laughed and walked away.

Cowboy fans are so ****y its annoying.

LOL I shut him up.

Hahaha I love it! Anytime anyone talks smack about ST now, it's so unfounded. The usual criticisms ("he goes for the big hit" "he gives up the big play" "he's bad in coverage" "he's not human") all don't apply, well maybe the last one, because he's not really human. He does go for the big hit, but he hasnt' given up a big play this season, and he's picked 4 balls in 5 games.

I agree with the original post. I think Sean Taylor has a great chance to be Defensive Player of the Year. He's already done a great job playing center field. He's made some key plays on coverage. I remember how he helped take away the Packers' long ball on Sunday by getting across the field and disrupting the pass. He's already got some interceptions and some hits. I really think he's on track to be great this year and with Landry besides him, we may have a Defensive Rookie of the Year in the making.

In other words, this is the beginning of the Area 51 era. We have the best safety tandem in the league and teams are going to start recognizing that when they play us.

Archived