Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Can't Move Forward With Portis and Moss Consistently Less than 100%

No_Pressure

First and foremost it had nothing to do with our defense. Taylor had 2 INT's should have had more, and the only time they got into the endzone against us on offense was a completely blown play by Rocky McIntosh.

On offense:

Does anyone realize what we are playing with? We finished this game with 1 original starter on the offensive line. Chris Samuels was the only guy in there who played here last season. We figured it would be difficult enough with the left guard shuffle for Kendall, then we lost Jansen, then we lost Thomas, now we lost Rabach, then we lost Wade, then we lost Heyer. Pass protection is usually simple enough for a guy who is subbing, but honestly, who expects us to be able to run when our offensive line is starting Pucillo, Fabini, and Heyer?

With that said, Portis is playing hurt and doesn't have any of his explosiveness. His speed is pretty much non-existant right now, and even if he had it neither he nor Betts can run through holes that aren't there

Our two starting wide receivers Santana and Antwaan are coming off injuries and probably not as fast/crisp as they should be. Campbell and Moss didn't get to work with each other most of training camp because Moss was injured. They have not been on the same page all year. Campbell's timing is bad with Moss, and when it isn't, Moss can't hold on to the ball. He killed us with his fumble which was unacceptable and he dropped his chance at redemption.

If Moss holds on to the ball and they don't get a gift touchdown, they probably don't win. With that said Green Bay's defense should have been flagged a lot more often for illegal contact, defensive holding, and defensive pass interference. Their secondary was absolutly mugging our receivers all day long and the refs didn't seem to care at all.

IMO at this point there is nothing we can do about the Moss/Campbell connection, and there is nothing we can do about our offensive line. When we can't run the ball we can't pass. There is something we can do about Portis. I think he should sit out a few weeks. Not as punishment or anything- he needs to get healthy. He is doing this team no favors by playing hurt, I have never seen him run slower than he has this season. Of course Betts isn't going to do better with this line, but at least he isn't hurt.

players don't wish injuries upon themselves and both Portis and Moss have the necessary competitive fire and talent to be successful against any NFL defenses when healthy.

the caveat is that it is now becoming apparent after seeing the 2006 season play itself out and then seeing what the offense is going through in 2007, that both of these players are being compromised by their inability to get to 100% physically, participate in practices and come into games sharp and ready to go.

it is a big issue for the club as these are the players the team is looking for to aid Jason Campbell in his development as an NFL quarterback.

instead they are holding the club back.

the Redskins have lost 2 games this season after leading at halftime, and in both games untimely turnovers and lack of execution by Portis and Moss contributed mightily to the negative outcomes.

at wide receiver against the Packers, I was really surprised the coaches didn't get Keenan McCardell in the game EARLIER to settle things down with a veteran who has sure hands and can occupy the middle of the field with the slants and crosses that have been the staple of his 850 catch career.

at 37 he is not a long-term answer but a quicker change could very well have helped to net the additional 3 to 7 points this team desperately needed to win a very winnable football game today.

in the backfield, Ladell Betts is averaging just 2.8 yards per carry so far in 2007. he appears to be a back that needs carries to develop a rhythm and be the player he was for us in 2006.

the question with Portis' lack of sharpness and propensity for turnovers in these key games against NY and Green Bay, is whether it would be better at this point to start Betts and give him the bulk of the carries, while using Portis as a stretch the field back on passing downs and situational player out of the backfield, giving him the chance to rest his knee and get closer to 100%.

with the offensive line injuries (the worst I have seen the Redskins suffer since I started watching the team in 1971-72), all of this may be moot as NO offense is going to be successful with the mess of an OL we ended up the Green Bay game with.

but figuring that Rabach and Wade are going to improve enough to be out there next week against the Cardinals, I am just wondering whether it is time to give the healthy Betts and McCardell more time on the field to show us what they can do :)

Troy said all game and I concur....Portis just doesn't look right out there and he's not hitting the whole as hard. Of course, only being able to run left behind Samuels makes it easy on the opposing D.

I'd like to see Lloyd get more playing time, regardless of the rift thar's supposedly going on. He was a hair away from putting up six.

No more revereses for SM please. He doesn't like contact and is tryng to avoid taking the hit. He's also dropped more than he's caught this year. I give him two TO's today as that tipped ball should have been caught.

Dissapointing game. One we should have won.

You guys oviously didn't watch the game, Portis had a pretty good game rushing when it wasn't the only thing we do. Even when he fumbled we didn't lose any points. Our coaches are afraid.

He had 3.2 yards per carry today and got stuffed consistantly. Nobody is saying he is a bad rusher. Even when he is injured he is a good runner, it is a combination of injuries. The offensive line is missing 3 starters and 1 of the 2 starters they aren't missing arrived 2 weeks before the season started. We can't get him holes and he's hurt. If he's hurt and we open holes he can have a good game regardless, if he's hurt and we don't open things up for him he isn't going to win it for us. At this point it is better for him to sit out and get back to 100% than go out there and take a further beating behind a patchwork line.

I agree that Portis does not look 100%. I still think he's our best option though, so I don't know what the answer is. Unfortunately, Betts has not shown the same form he showed last year.

Moss just had a really bad day. Unless I'm mistaken, he had a groin injury which should not be affecting his hands too much. He just had a bad game. Did it cost us.... hard to say that, but he didnt help, obviously. I don't think timing is an issue, I think if Moss had just held onto the ball he could have had a very big day, and we would probably, not definitely, have won this game.

Edit: just to add, as hurt as Portis looked, its hard to judge him when the O-line is decimated as it is.

the main point is we have been waiting for almost 2 years for both Portis and Moss to show up nearing 100% and ready to play at the same time. not coincidentally, that was the last time in 2005 that the Redskins were consistently scoring over 20 points per game :)

my concern is that given the number of cumulative injuries and their relative lack of size, that both Portis and Moss may be wearing down and that they might not again approximate the players they were in 2005.

Betts ran for 1,154 yards in 9 games last year including five straight 100 yard games, so let's not pretend he is unproven or that starting him means we are giving up the season, okay? :D

Unbelievably, our offensive line is pretty much gone,

Moss & Portis are hurt.

Randle El is not 100%.

We are talking about players that are elite.

Who are we going to replace them with?

I think we are done for this year.

Part of being an elite player is not getting hurt or at least staying productive when injured. Moss and Portis certainly haven't displayed that they can do that.

Yea Portis and Moss are hurt way too much , so is our O-Line , we need to spend the entire draft on the O-line and WRs . and try to get a late round steal at RB , Portis has no burst and follows 90% of his good runs with 1 or 2 bad runs , its just not there right now and I know its hard with our O-line being banged up , but you got to produce

Part of being an elite player is not getting hurt or at least staying productive when injured. Moss and Portis certainly haven't displayed that they can do that.

There is something to be said for that.

I think Portis's injury, either knee sprain or his tendinitis, just needs some time to heal.

Moss's hamstring problem has been around since last year. I am wondering if Moss will ever get 100%. Apparently, now, even when he gets a separation, Moss cannot concentrate on the ball -- this is in stark contrast to '05 Dallas game.

Note that as a NY jets, he used to have hamstring problems.

Moss is getting open, he is just dropping the ball -- has he been having hand injuries or hanstring/groin ones?

Portis has had some nice runs but all of a sudden he's become Mr. fumble at critical times in games -- I don't think fumbiling has much to do with injuries but more with concentration.

Both problems are related to concentration. But that is the nature of injuries. Muscle spasms at a wrong moment, a moment of indecision because your knee/tendinitis bothers you, etc.

In any case, it doesn't matter now.

Question is WTF should the Redskins do? We can't just find replacements for players of these caliber.

ill make it simple for you all. Moss lost this game single handly. there is a saying " one person cant win or lose a game for you in football because it is the ultimate team sport," but if any single players plays can lose for a team, Moss's plays today would be it easily.

Like BD mentioned Betts needs alot of carrie to get in a rythim if he's going to be effective. We need to heal up across the board.

Did anyone catch what happened between GW and CP on the sidelines. It was mentioned on TV after the fumble.

Ya, I would love to know what Portis wanted to say to Williams. I'm sure he wanted to say he was sorry for putting the D in such a bad spot. I don't think Williams blew him off out of anger, but because he needed to be doing his job with the D on the fiels, and that's not the time to talk.

I agree though, Portis is not himself right now, and Betts should be getting the brunt of the work, and Kenan should be on the field as often as possable. If I dare to use the logic I see here so often, with the line banged up so badly, why risk Portis to a more serious injury. Play Betts till we get the line sorted out, and Portis is healthy. Sacroficial lamb so to speak.

My own logic says play Betts, he's healthy and has fresh legs fro being a back up forever.

You guys oviously didn't watch the game, Portis had a pretty good game rushing when it wasn't the only thing we do. Even when he fumbled we didn't lose any points. Our coaches are afraid.

GW was the only coach that i saw today on film that didn't look confused, afraid, uncertain of what to do.

Archived