Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The key to victory is staying with 4 man rush...

PierceType

If we can maintain aggressive off the line coverage of Green Bay's receivers (none of this 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 6 crap) and keep everything in front of us so that if a receiver catches the ball, they are immediately hit, I think we can force Favre into some forces and mistakes.

The problem with blitzing an experienced quaterback like Favre is that he has great field vision and you run the risk of a pitch and catch for a long gain if he reads the blitz (and we have never been known for being 'sneaky' blitzers).

So, IMHO, best thing to do is stay in aggressive 4 man rush, cover off the line (make their receivers earn it and mess up timing patterns) and keep everything in front of us. We should get a bunch of cover sacks and hurries as well as a pick 6 or two cause Favre has a serious hero complex.

NO BLITZING!

I have a feeling that the Packers saw how effectively the Lions ran the ball against us when we were spread out like that. I think GB will try to run the ball on us. If we keep everyone dropped back, that means our LBs are gonna have to have a big game.

this assumes that we can cover downfield for 10 seconds, which is nearly impossible. i don't think we can keep an "aggressive four man rush" against the Packers O-line, with our D line. Gotta blitz some.

Packers WCO isnt even close to what the Lions ran (which is a Martz version of Air Coryell). Packers WCO bleeds you with 5 yards passes and expects their physical receivers to manhandle the DB's and get YAC.

We rush 4-5 to keep some pressure on Favre. Taylor stays in center field and the rest of the defense plays cover 1 or cover zero.. The pack has no one at RB and is at the bottom of the league in rushing but at the top in passing due to their system. Crowd the area where they want to throw, jam their receivers and let the playmakers due their thing.

I have a feeling that the Packers saw how effectively the Lions ran the ball against us when we were spread out like that. I think GB will try to run the ball on us. If we keep everyone dropped back, that means our LBs are gonna have to have a big game.

Yeah, I keep reading "GB doesn't have a running game", but I keep remembering that I watched them average 8 ypc last week against Chicago.

Now granted, we aren't Da Bears' defense, but if we give it to them, they'll take it.

We have to remember that the Packers have Favre at QB instead of Kitna, and doesn't have Martz as his O-coordinator.

I'm sure if the Packers see 4 man fronts, they will start running the ball, which is something Martz should have done earlier in previous game.

Quite frankly, the key to this game will be executing the offense efficiently. No dumb penalties, no bad QB to RB exchanges, no fumbled snaps, no missed easy FGs and no drops. If these things happen, they can score points and force Green Bay to start exclusively passing...which plays right into our defense's hands.

Yeah, I keep reading "GB doesn't have a running game", but I keep remembering that I watched them average 8 ypc last week against Chicago.

Now granted, we aren't Da Bears' defense, but if we give it to them, they'll take it.

Per game averages

PTS allowed 17.4 (22nd)

YDS allowed 253.6 (30th)

PASS YDS 171.0 (28th)

RUSH YDS 82.6 (27th)

Bears defense flat out sucks.

I agree. I think we NEED to get pressure with the front linemen without blitzing to be productive. Brett with time can pick us apart, our man coverage needs to be tight. I wouldnt mind a blitz, if used very sparingly. Just to keep Brett wondering where its coming from.

I agree. I think we NEED to get pressure with the front linemen without blitzing to be productive. Brett with time can pick us apart, our man coverage needs to be tight. I wouldnt mind a blitz, if used very sparingly. Just to keep Brett wondering where its coming from.

I agree. However we do it, we need to get pressure. If Favre sits back an has time, he can kill you. My guess is we'll blitz selectively and hope for the best. This offense can handle the deep zone better than Detroit did, so there will be more pressure on safeties and LBs.

The key is also to ball-control Brett off the field. Limit his attempts.

If we can maintain aggressive off the line coverage of Green Bay's receivers (none of this 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 6 crap) and keep everything in front of us so that if a receiver catches the ball, they are immediately hit, I think we can force Favre into some forces and mistakes.

The problem with blitzing an experienced quaterback like Favre is that he has great field vision and you run the risk of a pitch and catch for a long gain if he reads the blitz (and we have never been known for being 'sneaky' blitzers).

So, IMHO, best thing to do is stay in aggressive 4 man rush, cover off the line (make their receivers earn it and mess up timing patterns) and keep everything in front of us. We should get a bunch of cover sacks and hurries as well as a pick 6 or two cause Favre has a serious hero complex.

NO BLITZING!

I think that we can blitz some against the Packers, the Lions uses a 4 receiver set a lot of the time so we had to adjust to their situation but with the Packers, after Driver and Jones, their receiver production falls off a lot and too, without Marcus Washinton manning the defense end position on passing downs we are going to have to give Daniels, Evans or Wilson help on that end.

they were able to run the ball on us because we were forcing them to, and we all got to see what that got them.. 3 points, i expect to see the same thing, but having washington hurt for this one is going to hurt because he is a good pass rushing dend on passing downs

Well, to me the most important thing is to cover the receivers off the line. Jam 'em good. Don'y play 10 yards deep so they can get up some speed then just head-fake you out of your shorts. We need to mess up the timing routes, that's how you get cheap picks.

The QB is pressured and he throws to where he "thinks" the receiver is supposed to me, but he isn't because we jammed him at the line.

If we must blitz, then we should hard rush around the ends then do a delayed blitz right up the middle as Favre ducks into the pocket to avoid the outside rush.

I just think if we do one of our all out blitzes, Favre will burn us cheap.

While you all are probably right and we most likely won't be able to do that against the Packers line, oh my was that a pretty sight against the Lions. I was watching that game thinking "woah" every subsequent time we brought the 4 man line up.

My lord tha was nice to se against a pass happy offense. Hopefully we will see it again in a few more games this year :)

I used to hate the soft zones we played and the fact that we would literally be giving yards away. But last week it worked so well, and I think it can work just as well this week. Favre is a big time gambling QB so you know he'll try to fit throws in tight spaces. Let's hope the 4th quarter from the Bears game carries over...

We'll be blitzing this week.

The idea is to confuse and pressure Favre into threading the needle and gunslinging.

If he does (and we hold onto the ball) we can get 2-3INTs.

The 4 man rush, no blitz was perfect against Detroit, but won't work as well against the Packers.

Got to have faith in Williams schemes and the execution of the D.

Archived