Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pets hurled off bridge in Puerto Rico

Destino

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Animal control workers seized dozens of dogs and cats from housing projects in the town of Barceloneta and hurled them from a bridge to their deaths, authorities and witnesses said Friday. Mayor Sol Luis Fontanez blamed a contractor hired to take the animals to a shelter.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This is an irresponsible, inhumane and shameful act," he told The Associated Press.

Fontanez said the city hired Animal Control Solution to clear three housing projects of pets after warning residents about a no-pet policy. He said the city paid $60 for every animal recovered and another $100 for each trip to a shelter in the San Juan suburb of Carolina.

Raids were conducted on Monday and Wednesday, and residents told TV reporters they saw the animal control workers inject the animals. When they asked what they were giving them, they said they were told it was a sedative for the drive to the shelter.

"They came as if it were a drug raid," said Alma Febus, an animal welfare activist. "They took away dogs, cats and whatever animal they could find. Some pets were taken away in front of children."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/puerto_rico_pet_massacre_2;_ylt=AioSe7pk5RF73TFx.vt9Z58E1vAI

Think PETA will protest down there or up here? I don't think the PR government will listen to a word from PETA, whereas our government would vote to write a letter discussing how bad it was.

they may kill PETA if they are too out of hand down there. most countries outside of the US dont really tolerate people protesting too well.

they may kill PETA if they are too out of hand down there. most countries outside of the US dont really tolerate people protesting too well.

Protests are far more common in latin american then in the US, especially south america (not counting Chavez) where protests are a weekly event for seemingly anything at all. I don't know about Puerto Rico, being that it's a US territory.

Think PETA will protest down there or up here? I don't think the PR government will listen to a word from PETA, whereas our government would vote to write a letter discussing how bad it was.

absolutely right! this thread is about pETA and how hypocritical those dumb leftists are!

As awful as this is in all honesty it happens on a regular basis (just not in so many numbers). I had to investigate many cases of cruelty where people threw unwanted pets kittens or puppies off the Cooper River Bridge in SC. For those that do not know most humans jump from this bridge to commit suicide. In one case we had a 5 week old kitten survive that was pulled out by a boater. We named the cat Cooper fixed its broken leg and adopted it out to a good family.

Huly, I got a question for ya

around my apartment complex there have been these baby kittens. We as a building have decided to take care of these strays because we think that if we call the spca that they will pick them up and take them away to a gas chamber. What do you recommend? I am not going to do anything that will result in the kittens getting executed, but I would like to know how to better take care of the situation. Haven't seen the momma cat, we suspect she died recently.

Huly, I got a question for ya

around my apartment complex there have been these baby kittens. We as a building have decided to take care of these strays because we think that if we call the spca that they will pick them up and take them away to a gas chamber. What do you recommend? I am not going to do anything that will result in the kittens getting executed, but I would like to know how to better take care of the situation. Haven't seen the momma cat, we suspect she died recently.

Kittens are a hot commodity for the SPCA and rescues. If you are not comfortable calling the SPCA try calling one of these:

http://www.sos-penpals.org/

Peggy@saveourshelters.com or call 804-514-7463

Cats Cradle of Greater Richmond Inc.

P.O. Box 70040

Richmond, VA 23255

Phone: 804-282-3833

Cat's Cradle's Website: www.catscradle-richmond.org

Cat Adoption Rescue Efforts Inc.

P. O. Box 2934

Richmond, VA 23228

Phone: 804-288-9797

http://www.care-cats.org/

S.A.F.E.

P.O. Box 2483

Chester, VA 23831

Phone: 804-751-4501

Email: savinganimals@hotmail.com

Some people in Puerto Rico do not spay or neuter their animals. This has been going on for years. I grew up seeing stray dogs and cats roam my hometown streets all the time.

SPCA or Animal Control are not as prominent as here in the US.

Not all people there are cruel to animals. This is an isolated case.

Nonetheless, there should be more action taken to spay/neuter the pet population on the island and only then can there an end to the neglect and abuse as reported last week.

absolutely right! this thread is about pETA and how hypocritical those dumb leftists are!

What are you talking about?

PETA is supposed to be an organization without borders, meaning that they care about the treatment of animals regardless of the country of origin. My question was whether they would protest up here for the US government to get involved or they would have representatives protest in Puerto Rico.

As is evident by the number of resolutions and formal positions that the US Congress adopts about THOUSANDS of events across the world (see: the most recent statement about Armenian Genocide which has Turkey all spun up), it is realistic to believe that Congress is already being lobbied to talk to the Ambassador from Puerto Rico about the event.

Nobody said anything along the lines that you referenced. Get a grip.

Archived