Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

does campbell make our pass protection look better then it is?

I was llooking at some of campbells highlights on most big plays or tds hes running right outside the pocker. I also notice the right DT and right DE coming at campbell he just moves sideways to buy some time, but keeps his eye down field at the same time.

That's what I think. Sort of how Peyton does the same when he shuffles left or right with the blitz coming. Not saying JC is Peyton, but I think it is some of it. One thing I thought in preseason was that his delivery was kind of a wind up motion meant it would take him longer to get the ball out but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That's what I think. Sort of how Peyton does the same when he shuffles left or right with the blitz coming. Not saying JC is Peyton, but I think it is some of it. One thing I thought in preseason was that his delivery was kind of a wind up motion meant it would take him longer to get the ball out but that doesn't seem to be the case.

He doesnt do that anymore no more windup. In the lions game the commentators were talking about how campbell changed his throwing motion and its not winding or that predictable anymore.

I guess that depends on what game you're talking about. At times he certainly makes moves with his feet and the line breaks down, but I think the tackles are doing a good job of letting the Ends rush up and out versus up and in on Campbell. If they allow them to go out wide and the guards and center get good push then it naturally forms the pocket [not an expert here but common since on how the pocket is formed really]...they (the line) did that well last Sunday. The tackles kept outside leverage which was key. That's going to be the key this Sunday too, and it'll be much more difficult IMO. Hopefully they can keep the Ends out wide and keep them away from Campbell. If they do that, I believe in our protection especially on the inside and with Portis in pass pro.

HTTR

HTTR

no...thats how a QB is supposed to get rid of a ball...i know mark brunell tried hard...but he held onto the ball FOREVER sometimes...no lineman can hold up forever...the most u will see is a 9 step drop...unless its a roll out the QB is NOT supposed to have the ball for more than a second...ESPECIALLY once hes planted his feet...but yeah campbell is a champ and he understands u cant play in the backfield for 20 mins...

Pains me to this day, to see the controversial (out of bounds/back of endzone) call that prevented Art from getting that TD in the 3rd part of the series. He might be in the HOF by now if not for that blown (IMO) call.

JC has excellent excellent pocket presence

So yea, the line blocks well, but he also knows where to slide in the pocket. This was one of his skills coming out of Auburn

Didn't Pete Kendall say something to that affect in one of his interviews this year?

I forget the exact quote but it was something along the lines of "when Campbell moves in the pocket to avoid rush or when he rolls out completely, you don't know how much that helps the Oline."

So JC's great pocket presence, footwork, and pressure awareness definitely helps the Oline out.

Im not so sure what has changed from last year to this year. You can't give all the credit to JC because it is a collaborative effort. JC knows the o-line scheme and the o-line knows where JC needs to be. They move together and so the pocket protection and JC look great.

As opposed to last year where we had mister happy feet who never once stepped up into the pocket cause he couldn't see over the line. He always moved around the back of the pocket and the OL never knew where he was and it leda to many sakcs and it made both the OL and Brunel look terrible.

A good passer will do what he must to buy time. Some shuffle. Some QBs bootleg and rollout. Some do all three. Marino was the only QB I ever saw that could get the ball to his receiver without having to buy hardly any time at all. It was amazing how Marino would look left, then right, and hit someone with the pass. Campbell can do this also.

The pass protection is solid. Blocking upfront is important in football on all levels and without the O line, no one gets into the endzone.

A good passer will do what he must to buy time. Some shuffle. Some QBs bootleg and rollout. Some do all three. Marino was the only QB I ever saw that could get the ball to his receiver without having to buy hardly any time at all. It was amazing how Marino would look left, then right, and hit someone with the pass. Campbell can do this also.

Agree totally about Marino, the guy could launch a ball almost on instinct! Saying that he was probably in a hurry to get rid of the ball so he could get back to lambasting scab players on TV! :rolleyes:

If JC has that kind of instinctive play we are in for some fun over the next few seasons! :cool:

Archived