Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN INSIDER, Take 2: Skins vs. Packers

Chris0894

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/take2?gameId=271014009

Earlier this week, our scouts filed their advance scouting report on this week's matchup between the Redskins and packers. Now they're back with a second look.

Matchup to watchWashington offensive coordinator Al Saunders vs. Green Bay defensive coordinator Bob Sanders

Saunders has kept defenses on their heels this season and his feel for when to call a run or pass has been exceptional. And his use of screens and some gimmick plays with WR Antwaan Randle El gives opponents even more to prepare for. Saunders also likes to use TE Chris Cooley on option routes and on the backside of play-action passes to force the opposing safeties to come down and help in pass defense, which in turn opens up deeper routes.

Sanders will have a lot of his plate this weekend his defense must be the aggressor and dictate the tempo of the game. The Packers can do that by penetrating upfield with defensive lineman and hurrying Redskins' QB Jason Campbell. The right combination of blitzes and coverages can confuse the Washington and get Campbell in a panic state. The advantage goes to Saunders and his hot hand, though.

How can the Redskins force turnovers against the Green Bay passing game?

It's always easier said than done, but if Washington can put enough pressure on Packers QB Brett Favre and keep him uneasy in the pocket he is prone to make mistakes and throw interceptions. Favre has limited his mistakes so far this season, though, and Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will have to find a way to not only pressure Favre but also disguise coverages. The Redskins defense shutdown the Detroit passing game last week with pressures and tight coverage and the recipe for success will likely be the same this week. Washington FS Sean Taylor and CB Carlos Rogers have been playing well and have become ball magnets, while DE Andre Carter has been relentless off the edge and OLB Marcus Wasington has timed the blitzes well in recent weeks. All four will have to play well again this week to force mistakes from Favre and get a win for the Redskins.

Can Washington QB Jason Campbell remain hot against a solid Green Bay defense?

Campbell is one of the most underrated and improved players in the NFL this season. He has been playing at a high level, making big plays and limiting his mistakes. Campbell is finally comfortable with offensive coordinator Al Saunders' play book, which is as thick as a phone book, and Saunders is adding new wrinkles and concepts each week.

On the other side of the ball, the Packers come with very solid coverage players in CBs Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Both are capable of being shutdown corners in man coverage and taking away Redskins' WRs Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El. Injury could force Randle El out of the lineup this week, but if he does play he is capable of stretching the field vertically. Green Bay LBs A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett will be tested on play-action and must stay disciplined and get good coverage drops. Overall, it looks like Campbell should still have a solid day even with the talent on the Packers' defense.

Can Green Bay run the ball against the Redskins defense?

The Green Bay offense has two capable running backs in DeShawn Wynn and Vernand Morency and is capable of getting over 100 yards in most games. However, the Packers are facing a Redskins defense that has been stingy against the run and is playing with a lot of intensity. In order for Green Bay to be successful on the ground there must be a commitment to getting Wynn and Morency more carries than the 22 they had last week against Chicago. The offensive line has been playing well and moving defenders off the line of scrimmage and if offensive coordinator Joe Philbin can establish the running game early it will open up play-action for Favre, something the veteran excels at.

Scouts' Edge

The Scouts Inc. Position Advantage

QBRBWROLDLLBDBSTCoach statLogo_gnb.gifstatLogo_was.gifstatLogo_gnb.gifstatLogo_was.gifstatLogo_was.gifstatLogo_gnb.gifstatLogo_was.gifstatLogo_was.gifstatLogo_was.gif

The Redskins are on a roll and everyone in Washington is playing well, while the Packers are coming off a loss to the Bears in a game they feel got away from them. Lambeau Field is a tough place for a road team to win but the Redskins still get the edge this week. Washington should be able to establish the run game well and control time of possession, and if they stick to their strengths they can get the win. In addition, Washington should be able to keep Favre on the sideline with Turnovers and three-and-out possessions, and avoid it second loss of the season.

Prediction: Redskins 24, Packers 14

"The Green Bay offense has two capable running backs in DeShawn Wynn and Vernand Morency and is capable of getting over 100 yards in most games."

Green Bay's rush offense is 31st in the league...

Most of what they said I believe to be true, but this? Did they just say that for the hell of it?

Green Bay's a lot like the Lions. They are a pass happy team and they can't run the ball well. Plays into our defense's hands, IMO.

I like their prediction, I just don't see how they can justify GB having a running game.

"The Green Bay offense has two capable running backs in DeShawn Wynn and Vernand Morency and is capable of getting over 100 yards in most games."

Green Bay's rush offense is 31st in the league...

Most of what they said I believe to be true, but this? Did they just say that for the hell of it?

Green Bay's a lot like the Lions. They are a pass happy team and they can't run the ball well. Plays into our defense's hands, IMO.

I like their prediction, I just don't see how they can justify GB having a running game.

maybe they just wanted to throw something nice out there for them? :whoknows:

Barnett is ranked 4th for LB

Fletcher and Hawk are tied for 25th

McIntosh is tied in 32nd with Zach thomas....so according to this years stats, they do have us on LB

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&statisticPositionCategory=LINEBACKER&season=2007&seasonType=REG

thats only by tackles..... and you dont rank a LB corp by how many tackles they have, its how effective they are together

thats only by tackles..... and you dont rank a LB corp by how many tackles they have, its how effective they are together
yea i agree but im pretty sure tackles is what they base it off of...not overall play which IMO we destroy them in that department

i think that espn has taken too much for granted in this analysis. personally i think it is going to be a tighter ball game and the winning factor is the one aspect that espn failed to acknowledge: special teams.

it is going to hurt us with randel el more than likely out. hopefully, thrash can bust one more like last week and hold onto the ball. i truly think that this is going to be a 17 - 14 game completely decided by 4th quarter field position. COME ON THRASH!! i'm pulling for james thrash as the redskins player of the week for this reason alone. if he doesn't improve our field position or their punter forces fair catches, i will be worried until the final gun shot. (for those of you wondering about my takes on game, i already said in posts that we will beat the lions by 21, was worried about the giants, called a dominate ball control games against the eagles and we all called the tight win against the fins.)

pray for our special teams this week, because that is the true factor in this one.

This is going to be a great game, IMO. Packers won't be able to run the ball, period. I think they're right in saying that we will approach this game the same way we approached the Lions game. We have to watch out for Jennings stretching the field and Driver is always dangerous. Their corners don't scare me that much, but even if they did shut Moss/ARE down we still have Cooley and whatever slot receivers we decide to use. I think we'll be fine, but it'll still be a damn good game.

Trying to do a better job of not over-reacting to national media stuff like this, but I have to admit this one kind of made me chuckle:

The Packers can do that by penetrating upfield with defensive lineman and hurrying Redskins' QB JasonCampbell. The right combination of blitzes and coverages can confuse the Washington and get Campbell in a panic state.

The next time Jason Campbell gets in a "panic state" on the football field will be the first time. The man is as steady and cool on the field as any QB I've ever seen.

Archived