Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for anyone who has been on painkillers (advice needed)

REDPepper

Alright so here's the deal. Yesterday I had shoulder surgery, and am now on percocet. Yesterday I was taking only one pill every 3-4 hours, cause the anesthesia still had its effects going, but now that that has worn off, I've began to take 2. I know it's highly addictive, but I'm not concerned about that because my prescription obviously doesn't have enough for me to become addicted.

but here's my issue. Tonight I am supposed to give a couple short but energetic speeches at an induction ceremony. I feel that while I am on the percocet I become really drousy and can't focus at times, which I don't think would be good for the speech. However, if I don't use the drugs, my shoulder will hurt much much more, which will probably be even worse for the speech.

So what do you guys think I should do? I think it is possible that I could simply not go to the speech, because there are 5 other people speaking there on the same topics, and it is a pre-written speech which they are allowed to simply read, so there wouldn't be an issue about preparation.

Please help I'm really in a jam, and if I decide not to go to the ceremony, I am going to need to give people a heads up relatively soon.

Eh, I would suggest to take the percs, then do a few shots of JD and smoke a j-bar right before the speech. You may end up looking like Britney Spears circa 3am, but at least you'll have a blast doing so ;)

and to top it off, you have a built in excuse to act like a bumbling fool! Just tell them before the speech that you broke your shoulder, and the pain medication makes you a bit light headed, so forgive you if you sound a bit discombobulated :cheers:

take ADVIL for the rest of the day......as many as possible, read the bottle...that'll work good enough

Make sure you don't this this with Tylenol (acetometaphine). Call your doctor and see if he can give you something less powerful.

I had surgery about 2 months ago and wouldn't touch the pain killers they gave me. I'm allergic to ibuprofen so I couldn't use that. I just toughed it out, but my surgery was minor (deviated septum & clean out sinus).

Eh, I would suggest to take the percs, then do a few shots of JD and smoke a j-bar right before the speech. You may end up looking like Britney Spears circa 3am, but at least you'll have a blast doing so ;)

and to top it off, you have a built in excuse to act like a bumbling fool! Just tell them before the speech that you broke your shoulder, and the pain medication makes you a bit light headed, so forgive you if you sound a bit discombobulated :cheers:

LOL, then the next thing we will hear from REDPepper is "Don't Taze me Bro!"

Several years ago I messed up my back pretty good - one ruptured disc and two others were herniated. Worst pain I ever experienced in my life.

Doc prescribed painkillers and the first couple made me real drowsy...by the time I took the 3rd or 4th one I started throwing up. From that point on I decided to live with whatever pain Tylenol could not take care of...I did pretty good considering.

I've had two other surgeries (not back related) since then and didn't even bother with the prescription the doc gave me. I did just fine then.

So....maybe the shoulder will not hurt as bad as you anticipate if you took only Tylenol? Don't know until you try, but I made out okay. If it were me and I had to take the percocet to ease the pain, then there is no way I would be giving a speech that night.

Several years ago I messed up my back pretty good - one ruptured disc and two others were herniated. Worst pain I ever experienced in my life.

I herniated a disk in march and was prescribed percocet. It absolutely didn't do anything for me. I had to go back and get something stronger. Vicodin did wonders... but began to upset my stomach the more I took of it. I did, however, get all the prescriptions refilled so I'd have it around for a rainy day.

Take Chomerics advise.... sounds reasonable.... and look how level headed and on target his opinions can be. :doh: :laugh: :D

Archived