Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Case for Darrell Green

DGreenistheBest

Green is a lock for first ballot. If anything, the glaring exclusions of Monk, Jacoby and Grimm will make voters more eager to put DG in as some sort of proof there is no anti-Skin bias.

I hope you're right, I honestly do but we have seen so much outright :pooh: come out of the HoF voting process to justify their agendas that I am still not convinced. This will be interesting to watch. There is no possible argument for DG not being swept in by unanimous balloting based on his career. I am waiting to see what other arguments get made.

Great post, but I don't think there's a "case" for Darrell Green to be in the HOF, he made his case during his career. The HOF is already a piece of crap for keeping Monk out all these years, but if Green isn't in on the first ballot, we should start our own HOF, one that anti-skins writers have no say in.

Darrell Green better get in first ballot! Mr. Redskin deserves his spot..as does Art Monk and all of the other names posted in this thread.

I would not want to see the ExtremeSkins March to Canton, OH if he doesn't get in. We might burn that place down.

There is no question on whether Darrell Green will be in this years Hall of Fame class. He is as sure a lock as they come. Boy do I miss watching him play.

Darrell Green SHOULD be a lock but the thing is, so should Art Monk.

The HOF is a joke now.

I, and many others, refuse to acknowledge it.

This is the truth.

What other receiver owned the Receptions record and was left out of the HOF? And what others were on 3 SB winning teams?

I can tell you, Joiner, Largent, were apart of no winners of anything and that right there is all that should matter for Monk. Monk did what they did, better, and also has 3 rings to their 0 rings.

We can bring up his blocking skills, we can bring up his clutch 1st downs but that shouldn't matter. He led the league in career receptions and he is the only one NOT in the HOF who has done that.

Until Monk is in the HOF, there is no HOF.

Jesus, they let Irvin slime his way in. :rolleyes:

D Green has to get in first ballot, there's no question about it. If this does not happen, I would have to say that serious thoughts about rethinking the voting process would HAVE to be made, with Snyder making a lot of noise about it.

Although, how sweet would it be to see Green and Monk in at the same time, right after the Redskins won another Lombardi?

So another Redskin is due for the HOF.

However, I'm sure the HOF Committee will find a way to enshrine a few more Cowboys or Steelers first b/c those franchises have more fans than us, and you know how this popularity contest works.

Monk, Jacoby, and Grimm are all over-due in my book. DG28 should definitely be a first ballot come February though.

So another Redskin is due for the HOF.

However, I'm sure the HOF Committee will find a way to enshrine a few more Cowboys or Steelers first b/c those franchises have more fans than us, and you know how this popularity contest works.

Monk, Jacoby, and Grimm are all over-due in my book. DG28 should definitely be a first ballot come February though.

Totally agree, but that doesn't make the HOF any less of a joke.

The same idiots who are responsible for our weekly POWER RANKINGS are the same retards who vote for the HOF, if that gives you any more idea how idiotic the process is.

Green, Monk, and Clark all deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame

Same with Jacoby and Grimm.

I really think Clark deserves to be in there and should be inducted the same year as Monk.

If guys can get in with 350 receptions, two receivers whose presence opposite eachother made eachother better should be in there.

I don't know. Green never led the NFL in interceptions, qbs only avoided him because the corners on the other side were so weak (Wilburn, Mayhew, Dishman, etc). They were too busy feasting on the other side to give DG any attention.

Did DG ever have a signature interception? Did he ever high step into the end zone on a return?

Sound like crap? Well, get ready to hear these arguments from sports writers in the near future.

Monk, Clark, Grimm, Jacoby, Green, Bostic, and Manley should all be HOF

I don't know. Green never led the NFL in interceptions, qbs only avoided him because the corners on the other side were so weak (Wilburn, Mayhew, Dishman, etc). They were too busy feasting on the other side to give DG any attention.

Did DG ever have a signature interception? Did he ever high step into the end zone on a return?

Sound like crap? Well, get ready to hear these arguments from sports writers in the near future.

Monk, Clark, Grimm, Jacoby, Green, Bostic, and Manley should all be HOF

I was about to get the villagers and lead a march on your house until I realized what you were doing there. Yeah, we'll hear all of this soon enough. The fact is that Green has several signature plays to his name and QBs avoided him even into his 40's because they couldn't get anything by him. Our other CBs may have been weaker, but being on a team with Green helped them pad their stats since QBs tended to force harder passes on them rather than give Green a shot. Green was faster than most of the receivers he played against for pretty much his entire career and could probably keep pace with the likes of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens even now.

I believe that probowl nominations shouldn't count when weighing the worthiness of a HOF career.

Not that probowls would hurt DG28, but PB appearances are a result of fan voting, thus players on teams w/the largest fanbases will always have an advantage. It makes the PB all the more a popularity contest than a reward for a players single season performance.

See Dallas, Pittsburgh and Peter King.

what is this Fame-Hall you people speak of? I've certainly never heard of it. Anyway, Monk and Darrel Green are already in the Ring of Fame at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. Maybe that's what you mean.

Perhaps there is some kind of rinky-dink Hall out there somewhere with famous football players in it, but if it didn't recognize the Hogs or Art Monk, i surely wouldn't recognize it.

what is this Fame-Hall you people speak of? I've certainly never heard of it. Anyway, Monk and Darrel Green are already in the Ring of Fame at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium. Maybe that's what you mean.

Perhaps there is some kind of rinky-dink Hall out there somewhere with famous football players in it, but if it didn't recognize the Hogs or Art Monk, i surely wouldn't recognize it.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

• 3 weeks later...
I know its a little early, but I've been thinking about how Darrell Green will be for the HOF this year and I wanted to start a thread on his behalf. I sure wish Art would get in too but I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion on that, so I'll devote this thread to my favorite Redskin of all time, Darrell Green.

Mr. Green was drafted number 28 in the first round by the Redskins in 1983 and remained with them for the entirety of his career. He is tied for the record for staying with one team for most years at 20 years. The other player to hold this record is Jackie Slater who played offensive tackle for the Rams for 20 years and is currently a hall-of-famer.

Although he only played through his Junior year at Texas A&I, Darrell Green is currently a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He is a seven-time pro bowler, going in 84, 86, 87, 90, 91, 96, and 97. He is also a 3-time All-Pro. Retiring at age 42, he is the oldest Redskin to have been active on the team.

Darrell Green currently holds several NFL records. He holds the record for most consecutive seasons with an interception at 19. He is the oldest cornerback to have played football at age 42. He is a 4-time winner of the NFL's fastest man competition and has never been defeated in this competition. His fastest official 40-yard dash is 4.125 seconds, though he is alleged to have run it in 4.09 seconds. In 1991, he was ranked as the fastest athlete in the world. He is also the oldest NFL player to return an interception for a touchdown at age 37.

Darrell also holds several Redskins records. He is the first Redskin to: play 20 straight seasons, start 254 games, play in 279 games, have 54 interceptions, return six interceptions (this record still stands), and return a fumble from 78 yards (this record still stands).

Darrell Green appeared in 3 super bowls and has 2 rings. His first game, Sept. 5, 1983, was against Dallas. His final game, Dec. 29, 2002, was against Dallas. He is a 5-time NFC defensive player of the week and winner of several awards. He won the NFL defensive player of the year award in 96, the Redskins MVP in 96, the Ken Houston Humanitarian Award in 96, the Bart Starr award in 96, the Walter Payton award in 96, the USA Today most caring athlete award in 97, the Spring good sportsmanship award in 97, the Texas sports hall of fame in 01, and several others. He is a member of the NFL 1990 all-decade team.

While the Hall of Fame is about a player's accomplishments on the field, I believe a the character of an athlete can be measured by examining what that athlete does with his or her fame. Darrell Green parlayed his NFL career into starting the Darrell Green Youth Life Foundation in 1988. The goal of the DGYLF is to provide education and moral guidance to children and their families. Darrell is also a successful business man and a three-time recpient of honorary Doctorates of Humane Letters from Maymount U., George Washington U. and St. Paul's College. Darrell has a wife and three children.

There are currently 17 defensive backs in the HOF. The most recent inductee is Ronnie Lott. Ronnie Lott has 5 career TDs off interceptions as a defensive back. Darrell Green has 6. Ronnie Lott has 43 yards in 17 fumble recoveries. Darrell Green has 131 in 10 recoveries. Ronnie Lott has 113 yards of kick-off returns. Darrell Green has 620.

Darrell Green is a perfect example of a first ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer. I can only hope that the committee gives him more attention than they have given fellow Redksin Art Monk. It would lower the quality of Canton to exclude Darrell for any longer than neccessary. Here's to seeing Darrell's bust in the HOF by this time next year!

While this post is 100% logical, and a case-closed argument for what should be a first ballot induction for Green; I think we all need to come to grips with the fact that ole D.G. won't be getting in this year, and I have a feeling that he won't be getting in for many more years to come. Oh how I long to look like an idiot for saying this, but I just see him getting screwed.

I know its a little early, but I've been thinking about how Darrell Green will be for the HOF this year and I wanted to start a thread on his behalf. I sure wish Art would get in too but I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion on that, so I'll devote this thread to my favorite Redskin of all time, Darrell Green.

Mr. Green was drafted number 28 in the first round by the Redskins in 1983 and remained with them for the entirety of his career. He is tied for the record for staying with one team for most years at 20 years. The other player to hold this record is Jackie Slater who played offensive tackle for the Rams for 20 years and is currently a hall-of-famer.

Although he only played through his Junior year at Texas A&I, Darrell Green is currently a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He is a seven-time pro bowler, going in 84, 86, 87, 90, 91, 96, and 97. He is also a 3-time All-Pro. Retiring at age 42, he is the oldest Redskin to have been active on the team.

Darrell Green currently holds several NFL records. He holds the record for most consecutive seasons with an interception at 19. He is the oldest cornerback to have played football at age 42. He is a 4-time winner of the NFL's fastest man competition and has never been defeated in this competition. His fastest official 40-yard dash is 4.125 seconds, though he is alleged to have run it in 4.09 seconds. In 1991, he was ranked as the fastest athlete in the world. He is also the oldest NFL player to return an interception for a touchdown at age 37.

Darrell also holds several Redskins records. He is the first Redskin to: play 20 straight seasons, start 254 games, play in 279 games, have 54 interceptions, return six interceptions (this record still stands), and return a fumble from 78 yards (this record still stands).

Darrell Green appeared in 3 super bowls and has 2 rings. His first game, Sept. 5, 1983, was against Dallas. His final game, Dec. 29, 2002, was against Dallas. He is a 5-time NFC defensive player of the week and winner of several awards. He won the NFL defensive player of the year award in 96, the Redskins MVP in 96, the Ken Houston Humanitarian Award in 96, the Bart Starr award in 96, the Walter Payton award in 96, the USA Today most caring athlete award in 97, the Spring good sportsmanship award in 97, the Texas sports hall of fame in 01, and several others. He is a member of the NFL 1990 all-decade team.

While the Hall of Fame is about a player's accomplishments on the field, I believe a the character of an athlete can be measured by examining what that athlete does with his or her fame. Darrell Green parlayed his NFL career into starting the Darrell Green Youth Life Foundation in 1988. The goal of the DGYLF is to provide education and moral guidance to children and their families. Darrell is also a successful business man and a three-time recpient of honorary Doctorates of Humane Letters from Maymount U., George Washington U. and St. Paul's College. Darrell has a wife and three children.

There are currently 17 defensive backs in the HOF. The most recent inductee is Ronnie Lott. Ronnie Lott has 5 career TDs off interceptions as a defensive back. Darrell Green has 6. Ronnie Lott has 43 yards in 17 fumble recoveries. Darrell Green has 131 in 10 recoveries. Ronnie Lott has 113 yards of kick-off returns. Darrell Green has 620.

Darrell Green is a perfect example of a first ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer. I can only hope that the committee gives him more attention than they have given fellow Redksin Art Monk. It would lower the quality of Canton to exclude Darrell for any longer than neccessary. Here's to seeing Darrell's bust in the HOF by this time next year!

While this post is 100% logical, and a case-closed argument for what should be a first ballot induction for Green; I think we all need to come to grips with the fact that ole D.G. won't be getting in this year, and I have a feeling that he won't be getting in for many more years to come. Oh how I long to look like an idiot for saying this, but I just see him getting screwed.

Darell Green is a true class act, both on and off the field. As is Art Monk, and I truly believe that Monk and Green will both be elected into the HoF. I will be there this year, and if neither Monk nor Green get in, well... **** the Fame.

I need to bring my old sig back, too. :)

I will also momentarily post a link to a thread that has about a dozen Darrell Green vids.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196433

Darell Green is a true class act, both on and off the field. As is Art Monk, and I truly believe that Monk and Green will both be elected into the HoF. I will be there this year, and if neither Monk nor Green get in, well... **** the Fame.

I need to bring my old sig back, too. :)

I will also momentarily post a link to a thread that has about a dozen Darrell Green vids.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196433

case closed. DG is in. if canton dix us again on DG i will personally go there and burn the building to the ground.

no Hogs? no Monk? are they f'n serious? the whole subject pisses me off.

i am telling the NFL HOF right now, you screw DG over and I AM BURNING YOUR BIG ASS JUICER TO CINDERS.

I know Honorary_Hog suggested you edit this to tone it down, but your original quote will now live in my sig. Thanks.:cheers:

And, agreeing with some of the others, he should be a lock on the first ballot, but one can never tell.

Archived