Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Case for Darrell Green

DGreenistheBest

I know its a little early, but I've been thinking about how Darrell Green will be for the HOF this year and I wanted to start a thread on his behalf. I sure wish Art would get in too but I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion on that, so I'll devote this thread to my favorite Redskin of all time, Darrell Green.

Mr. Green was drafted number 28 in the first round by the Redskins in 1983 and remained with them for the entirety of his career. He is tied for the record for staying with one team for most years at 20 years. The other player to hold this record is Jackie Slater who played offensive tackle for the Rams for 20 years and is currently a hall-of-famer.

Although he only played through his Junior year at Texas A&I, Darrell Green is currently a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He is a seven-time pro bowler, going in 84, 86, 87, 90, 91, 96, and 97. He is also a 3-time All-Pro. Retiring at age 42, he is the oldest Redskin to have been active on the team.

Darrell Green currently holds several NFL records. He holds the record for most consecutive seasons with an interception at 19. He is the oldest cornerback to have played football at age 42. He is a 4-time winner of the NFL's fastest man competition and has never been defeated in this competition. His fastest official 40-yard dash is 4.125 seconds, though he is alleged to have run it in 4.09 seconds. In 1991, he was ranked as the fastest athlete in the world. He is also the oldest NFL player to return an interception for a touchdown at age 37.

Darrell also holds several Redskins records. He is the first Redskin to: play 20 straight seasons, start 254 games, play in 279 games, have 54 interceptions, return six interceptions (this record still stands), and return a fumble from 78 yards (this record still stands).

Darrell Green appeared in 3 super bowls and has 2 rings. His first game, Sept. 5, 1983, was against Dallas. His final game, Dec. 29, 2002, was against Dallas. He is a 5-time NFC defensive player of the week and winner of several awards. He won the NFL defensive player of the year award in 96, the Redskins MVP in 96, the Ken Houston Humanitarian Award in 96, the Bart Starr award in 96, the Walter Payton award in 96, the USA Today most caring athlete award in 97, the Spring good sportsmanship award in 97, the Texas sports hall of fame in 01, and several others. He is a member of the NFL 1990 all-decade team.

While the Hall of Fame is about a player's accomplishments on the field, I believe a the character of an athlete can be measured by examining what that athlete does with his or her fame. Darrell Green parlayed his NFL career into starting the Darrell Green Youth Life Foundation in 1988. The goal of the DGYLF is to provide education and moral guidance to children and their families. Darrell is also a successful business man and a three-time recpient of honorary Doctorates of Humane Letters from Maymount U., George Washington U. and St. Paul's College. Darrell has a wife and three children.

There are currently 17 defensive backs in the HOF. The most recent inductee is Ronnie Lott. Ronnie Lott has 5 career TDs off interceptions as a defensive back. Darrell Green has 6. Ronnie Lott has 43 yards in 17 fumble recoveries. Darrell Green has 131 in 10 recoveries. Ronnie Lott has 113 yards of kick-off returns. Darrell Green has 620.

Darrell Green is a perfect example of a first ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer. I can only hope that the committee gives him more attention than they have given fellow Redksin Art Monk. It would lower the quality of Canton to exclude Darrell for any longer than neccessary. Here's to seeing Darrell's bust in the HOF by this time next year!

There is no question on whether Darrell Green will be in this years Hall of Fame class. He is as sure a lock as they come. Boy do I miss watching him play.

I'd say the same thing, if I hadn't said it about Art Monk too. :mad:

The ONLY way I see any justice being done in the 2008 HOF inductions is if we get Green and Monk together. In which case, there will be a crowd for the ceremony, the likes of which the HOF has NEVER seen.

That was a great post, DGreen, a very good read about a great player and a great man. You made his case well, and I agree with you that he's a no-brainer choice for 2008. Unfortunately though, there are apparently more no-brain voters on the selection committee than any of us care to admit.

HTTR and Hail to Darrell Green. :helmet:

case closed. DG is in. if canton dix us again on DG i will personally go there and burn the building to the ground.

no Hogs? no Monk? are they f'n serious? the whole subject pisses me off.

i am telling the NFL HOF right now, you screw DG over and I AM BURNING YOUR BIG ASS JUICER TO CINDERS.

case closed. DG is in. if canton dix us again on DG i will personally go there and burn the building to the ground.

no Hogs? no Monk? are they f'n serious? the whole subject pisses me off.

i am telling the NFL HOF right now, you screw DG over and I AM BURNING YOUR BIG ASS JUICER TO CINDERS.

Might want to edit there, onedrop. Threatening felony arson isn't a good idea these days, even if it is just pissed off internet speak.

I agree with the sentiment though. I will be HOT if DG doesn't get in this year. Pun intended.

;)

Might want to edit there, onedrop. Threatening felony arson isn't a good idea these days, even if it is just pissed off internet speak.

I agree with the sentiment though. I will be HOT if DG doesn't get in this year. Pun intended.

;)

its okay, i have a spot in costa rica to run to. plus i trust the mods to erase all evidence of my existence if the case presents itself.

I know its a little early, but I've been thinking about how Darrell Green will be for the HOF this year and I wanted to start a thread on his behalf. I sure wish Art would get in too but I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion on that, so I'll devote this thread to my favorite Redskin of all time, Darrell Green.

Mr. Green was drafted number 28 in the first round by the Redskins in 1983 and remained with them for the entirety of his career. He is tied for the record for staying with one team for most years at 20 years. The other player to hold this record is Jackie Slater who played offensive tackle for the Rams for 20 years and is currently a hall-of-famer.

Although he only played through his Junior year at Texas A&I, Darrell Green is currently a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He is a seven-time pro bowler, going in 84, 86, 87, 90, 91, 96, and 97. He is also a 3-time All-Pro. Retiring at age 42, he is the oldest Redskin to have been active on the team.

Darrell Green currently holds several NFL records. He holds the record for most consecutive seasons with an interception at 19. He is the oldest cornerback to have played football at age 42. He is a 4-time winner of the NFL's fastest man competition and has never been defeated in this competition.

Great summary of Green's career.

One amendment pertaining to the final quoted sentence above. In February 2005, Darrell (who had been retired for three years at that point) participated in the NFL's Fastest Man competition. He finished fourth in a four-man heat, just behind Ahman Green, Allen Rossum, and one other guy (a CB for the Bills). So, technically, he "lost" that event once.

This was a 40-yard dash, unlike the more official staged events (held annually in the offseasons between 1986-97) which were 60 meters. If you watch the replay of the 2005 event, you can see Green closing on his younger competitors and I've often wondered if the race had been the standard 60 meters if Green would have won the race. Green was always lousy out of the blocks, the one element that may have thwarted a career as a professional sprinter.

You could also add that in 1984, the US 4 X 100 Olympic team won the gold medal in (then) world record time. The four-man team was comprised of Carl Lewis, Sam Graddy, Ron Brown, and Willie Gault. Darrell Green beat ALL FOUR of those guys in head-to-head races over the years.

One amendment pertaining to the final quoted sentence above. In February 2005, Darrell (who had been retired for three years at that point) participated in the NFL's Fastest Man competition. He finished fourth in a four-man heat, just behind Ahman Green, Allen Rossum, and one other guy (a CB for the Bills). So, technically, he "lost" that event once.

This was a 40-yard dash, unlike the more official staged events (held annually in the offseasons between 1986-97) which were 60 meters. If you watch the replay of the 2005 event, you can see Green closing on his younger competitors and I've often wondered if the race had been the standard 60 meters if Green would have won the race. Green was always lousy out of the blocks, the one element that may have thwarted a career as a professional sprinter.

You could also add that in 1984, the US 4 X 100 Olympic team won the gold medal in (then) world record time. The four-man team was comprised of Carl Lewis, Sam Graddy, Ron Brown, and Willie Gault. Darrell Green beat ALL FOUR of those guys in head-to-head races over the years.

Thanks for the additional info. In response to the 2005 competition, even if he was slower that's still mighty impressive. In response to the comment about the olympic team, all I can say is "wow."

To my knowledge he only lost to one person in college and that person was Carl Lewis. Not a bad resume. God gave this man one heck of a gift.

Green was a superb player and should be in the HOF no doubt, the same can be said for Art Monk who has been scandalously ignored for several years, however I have a feeling that we will be lucky to see either of them get in (as for both of them making it there is probably no chance at all).

I hope I'm wrong but I think there is enough evidence to suggest there is something afoot in the HOF voting and it seems to have a very obvious anti-skins bias. :rolleyes:

Obviously we all feel strongly about these players as they are ex-skins but any self-respecting fan would probably question why certain players are omitted time and time again. What they don't realise is that the credibility of the HOF diminishes with every year they play their spiteful game.

Archived