Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phŏ is so tasty

E-Dog Night

A friend of mine introduced me to Phŏ about a year ago, and I'm officially addicted. A week without Phŏ is a tragedy.

I definitely stay away from the crazy tendon and bible tripe stuff and just go for the straight beef variety. Locally, I've found that Phŏ 75 in Rockville and Phŏ 88 in Greenbelt/College Park are the best.

Anybody else know of some good places? And if you've never tried it, you owe it to yourself to do so.

phoNight.jpg

So yummy.

In case you've never heard of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph%E1%BB%9F

Huly and I like Taste of Vietnam, which has some great Phŏ as well.

During the summer, we usually stick to their chargrilled lime chicken with vermicelli and veggies, while we normally go to the Phŏ when the weather gets colder..

Pho is NOT adventurous. God, you people are so WHITE.

Look, man. It's beef stock (have any of you eaten any French or even contemporary cuisine? Stock goes into all forms of cuisine) and rice noodles (you're lame if you can't eat rice noodles) and you can DECIDE if you want chicken or the beef strips or tripe.

You don't actually HAVE to order the tripe.

Order pho tai chin or pho tai nam or pho ga (I can't include the diacritical marks for the tones but whatever.)

Pho is one of the best dishes I've ever had in my life and it's a staple of my 'going out' meals.

Now, I do speak as someone who had a Vietnamese semi-fiancee back in the day and was Co-Pres of the VSA at Michigan BUT still, it's good stuff. I don't like what I don't like and I'm telling you, it's off the hook.

Oh and you get cilantro and some bean sprouts and you squeeze some lime over the meal with the chili and plum sauce (or is that hoi sinh?) I don't know, the brown ish you squeeze over the bowl.

And if your sinuses are getting clogged. Guess what? Pho (pronounced phuh with a kind of questioning tone, NOT FOH) is the cure. You also get these little slices of jalapeno you can put in there. But some of y'all is too soft for all the spice and 'exotic' flavor.

Here is a pic of my last bowl of Seattle pho. :(

l_3ddd67aa3c803147590b9c3ce3dbb48a.jpg

There is a place at Pan Am Shopping Center in Fairfax that serves only Pho. I get the chicken. It's awesome. Dump some bean sprouts, a little green onion, cilantro, plenty of basil....mmm mmm good. And their spring rolls are amazing too.

There is a place at Pan Am Shopping Center in Fairfax that serves only Pho. I get the chicken. It's awesome. Dump some bean sprouts, a little green onion, cilantro, plenty of basil....mmm mmm good. And their spring rolls are amazing too.

We meet again! No women to speak of here in Iowa but I've actually been trying to arrange a trip to Iceland (not for women but that would be kewl.)

In any case, good to see we share love of pho. It is off the meter in terms of enjoyment levels.

-------------

Evan,

You putting any red or brown sauce in there? It looks like you might have one but you definitely need to expand your ish there if you aren't. Pho isn't pho without a liberal spritzing of those two things.

Sidenote: It is believed that, at least the beef portion of pho, is the result of fusing French culinary use of boeuf, with the native rice noodle dish. Which makes total sense.

Now, I do speak as someone who had a Vietnamese semi-fiancee back in the day

Hmm...semi-fiancé? (There I go again with the crazy symbols.)

That's not one of those mail order deals, is it? :)

I keed, I keed. Phŏ shizzle.

BTW, I've gotta imagine that the west coast has great Phŏ.

yeah, is it two 'e's when it's a woman? Or how does that accent symbol work?

In any case, yeah, back when I was young and stupid and in love, I gave a promise ring to my girlfriend. We were together for a couple years but youth and distance (she came over when she was about 4, so American but still in touch with her culture)

I think she's married to a Vietnamese dude now. Not that we talk...

So much for "I hope our kids have your eyes."

Anyways...I love pho and it is pretty good on the West Coast. I've had mediocre pho but I still enjoyed it more than any Taco Bell experience, that's for sure. :)

My next thing is to visit my friends in Philly and go to one of the French restaurants there (not Le Bec Fin, I don't have money for that!) and do a little 'food tourism.' I don't think I'll be able to make it to Iceland or Ireland this calendar year.

I had a coworker who loved pho ... and he's no longer with the company. I don't know anyone adventurous enough try pho .... People suck.

:ciao: :flowers: :ladiesman:

Friday night, you and me...we shall pho..... :laugh:

The correct pronounciation of the word isnt like throw, it is said like the F word...Fuh :laugh:

Evan,

You putting any red or brown sauce in there? It looks like you might have one but you definitely need to expand your ish there if you aren't. Pho isn't pho without a liberal spritzing of those two things.

Sidenote: It is believed that, at least the beef portion of pho, is the result of fusing French culinary use of boeuf, with the native rice noodle dish. Which makes total sense.

I've experimented with several accoutrements over the past year, and I've pretty much settled on a few squirts of the rooster sauce (Siracha or whatever its called). It depends. The broth can really vary from place to place.

For instance, Phŏ 75 in Rockville (just past Rockville Town Center, for the poster who asked) is what I'd call a "clean" broth - fairly clear, NOT a lot of cinnamony aftertaste. Very good. I'd probably put more rooster sauce in that just to give it a little more oomph. Phŏ 88 has is pretty dark broth so I'd typically use a little less sauce.

EDIT - this stuff:

d_204.gif

Archived