Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

old timers- Sammy Baugh question???

CliffBattles

Interesting. From the data on the back of the trading card, the switch happened late in his career rather than at the beginning - he's wearing #45 at age 34 and in his 12th year in the league. Don't know the reason for the switch late in his career.

follow up question:

The reason I was looking through the pics, is I saw this jersey for sale on Ebay, and wondered if Baugh ever actually wore this style.....I don't think he did....which would make me not want it....I am not sure though (a little before my time), if any of you know, please give me the info.

48aa_1_b.JPG

He wore #45 at TCU. I don't remember him in anything but #33 with the Skins.

Weird though, the black and white trading cards at the top show him in #43 and if you read the back of the cards, they were produced in 1948 - the twilight of his career. He played from 1937-1952. :wtf:

Weird though, the black and white trading cards at the top show him in #43 and if you read the back of the cards, they were produced in 1948 - the twilight of his career. He played from 1937-1952. :wtf:

Those trading card photos were probably taking during the offseason or training camp so I don't think he ever wore #43 during a game.

Not only was Sammy's #33 retired by the Skins, his #45 was retired by TCU and in 2006 his #21 was retired by Swee****er High in Abilene. Check the story here

I have no explanation for that, Dan. You're right, Sammy came into the league in 1937. I didn't become a Redskin fan until I was ten (1945). I don't remember him wearing any other number but 33 from that point on.

I have no explanation for that, Dan. You're right, Sammy came into the league in 1937. I didn't become a Redskin fan until I was ten (1945). I don't remember him wearing any other number but 33 from that point on.

Actually he looks awfully young in the photo on those trading cards. It might be that they simply used an old photo.

follow up question:

The reason I was looking through the pics, is I saw this jersey for sale on Ebay, and wondered if Baugh ever actually wore this style.....I don't think he did....which would make me not want it....I am not sure though (a little before my time), if any of you know, please give me the info.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/9f/b3/48aa_1_b.JPG

Baugh never wore that style. The jerseys were burgundy, darker than today's version, with only numbers (no names) in those days.

Actually he looks awfully young in the photo on those trading cards. It might be that they simply used an old photo.

ding

most old trading cards didn't have official licensing, and many weren't particular to detail... such as using an old college image on his pro card.

Here's a Sammy Baugh story for you (Circa 1948, plastic helmets but no face masks).

At all levels of football in that era, the defensive strategy was simple: knocking the other team's quarterback out of the game was the first priority.

The Chicago Bears, the league's dirtiest football team, were in town to play the Redskins at Griffith Stadium. Their DE, Ed Sprinkle, the worst of this very bad lot (hiss, boo), was too much for the Redskins tackle to handle. Baugh was being hammered by Sprinkle on every pass often well after the pass had been thrown.

So, Baugh took matters in his own hands. He had his tackle whiff on his block. Then, as Sprinkle was bearing down on him from his blind side, Sammy wheeled and hit him in the face with a bullet pass.

Here's a Sammy Baugh story for you (Circa 1948, plastic helmets but no face masks).

At all levels of football in that era, the defensive strategy was simple: knocking the other team's quarterback out of the game was the first priority.

The Chicago Bears, the league's dirtiest football team, were in town to play the Redskins at Griffith Stadium. Their DE, Ed Sprinkle, the worst of this very bad lot (hiss, boo), was too much for the Redskins tackle to handle. Baugh was being hammered by Sprinkle on every pass often well after the pass had been thrown.

So, Baugh took matters in his own hands. He had his tackle whiff on his block. Then, as Sprinkle was bearing down on him from his blind side, Sammy wheeled and hit him in the face with a bullet pass.

LOL!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now that's a great story!!

:applause:

That jersey isa bad knock off. I have seen those for several Redskins players - including more current ones. Don't buy it.

Dude! Don't say stuff like that! Did you see how much money was spent on the other stuff to protect it? This person actually now owns a (manakin?<don't know the spelling for that and webster's ****ed me.) The guy must think alot of his jersey. HERE, HERE!:applause:

reminds me of the longest yard.......wonder if thats where they got it from

I wore #33 as a nine year old Riggo-type RB. If you saw me now, you'd think that was ridiculous.

Haha so did I! (I may have been a year or two older)

I didnt know that was Sammy's number at the time though, just a cool coincidence. I wore #26 on year too.

Archived