Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So is this the week having small WR's catches up to us?

zztrainv2

Expectations are high coming off of the smashing of DET. But its important to realize that the Detroit played zone basically all game and it was great to see JC pick apart the zones (somthing the previous QB could not do at all) this week will be different. The packers have those big physical CB's and will be right up on the line to press Moss and Randel El (assuming they play) all game. They play alot of 2 deep cov so its not like they really have to worry about getting beat by speed. Bottom line is, this matchup is trouble for us unless.....

The running game forces 8 into the box thus forcing them out of 2 deep making the cb's not able to press like they would like to. And Cooley has to have a big game controlling the middle, he has been great in the red zone but i want to see more and this has to be the week. Although he does have a tough matchup as I would guess that based on the way the Packers played NYG and SD he *edit* (meant to write Hawk) should be matched up on Cooley. Bottom line is that this week is has to be the running game which opens up the passing game. :2cents:

Unless Sellers runs over everyone wearing Green :cheers: :point2sky

Expectations are high coming off of the smashing of DET. But its important to realize that the Detroit played zone basically all game and it was great to see JC pick apart the zones (somthing the previous QB could not do at all) this week will be different. The packers have those big physical CB's and will be right up on the line to press Moss and Randel El (assuming they play) all game. They play alot of 2 deep cov so its not like they really have to worry about getting beat by speed. Bottom line is, this matchup is trouble for us unless.....

The running game forces 8 into the box thus forcing them out of 2 deep making the cb's not able to press like they would like to. And Cooley has to have a big game controlling the middle, he has been great in the red zone but i want to see more and this has to be the week. Although he does have a tough matchup as I would guess that based on the way the Packers played NYG and SD he should be matched up on Cooley. Bottom line is that this week is has to be the running game which opens up the passing game. :2cents: Unless Sellers runs over everyone wearing Green :cheers: :point2sky

I really think youre right on about Cooley--- I would almost go as far as to guarantee a big game out of him. GB will try to put AJ hawk on him i bet.

with regard to our wrs, are you afraid of charles woodson and al harris? im not. im seeing the skins run a west-coast style offense set up by a power run attack.

Closing down one aspect always opens another. Martz was unable to alter his mentality to abuse the short stuff we left open all day. I don't expect Saunders to be so rigid. He'll take what's there, and it looks like JC is becoming a QB who can exploit what's available. It will be an interesting game.

with regard to our wrs, are you afraid of charles woodson and al harris?.

I am scared in terms of how much press cov they play and how small our Wr's are. Like I said if we can't run and force an 8th man in the box then we will strugle. However I would also look for alot of 3+ wr sets and see Moss/El in the slot where they are less likeley to try to bump with all that space

2 deep coverages can be beat underneath or with slants. There are ways to beat a team with our small receivers. We've already proven that. We're 3-1.

Normally thats exactly what you do, but vs the press im not sure our wr's wont get really beaten up which would disrupt all timing

This game will be a good test of our medium passing game, which has been lacking for years. We've got a decent short and long game, but we don't have enough mid-level passes. I've seen more this year than usual, but we'll really have to step it up and throw the ball effectively to win this game.

If the CBs press, theres 2 things they will do. Push off their outside shoulder, forcing them to go inside opening up slants, underneath routes. If they push the WR inside shoulder, they go outside deep, deep outs, or deep middle crosses.

Campbell is pretty good with the pump fake, so I can see him trying to freeze safeties when our WRs run by, or attempt to, their CBs.

No, I think you'll see Portis/Betts/Sellers run a lot in the game considering GB has a low-ranked run defense.

We have the weapons and the scheme to run effectively against this team and set up some short passes underneath to some of our guys. Plus, McCardell and Lloyd will likely see more time this week and they're a little bigger than Moss and ARE.

Funny, the big physical corners on GB are a great tandem...but, I was thinking our small quick WRs matched up well.

Those corners are better matched up against the big, possession type WRs....than the little quick guys.

Also, I think running on them will be very difficult....at least for the first three quarters.

Campbell will have to win this game, by moving around, and working the entire field.

IMO

The only thing that worries me about this game is their cornerbacks. At the same time, Brian Griese did ok and he isnt on Campbell's level. This game will definitely show the maturity of our qb. If he tries to force things he could throw a pick or two.

I think the addition of McCardell is going to be BIG he is that posession receiver we have been lacking and he could definitely come in handy.

Also, this is Joe Gibbs' team, we always look to run the ball first and foremost.

Man if Brian Griese could lead the Bears against the pack to a win, i dont see why the Redskins cant do the same thing. And do it with a lot more efficiency.

Favre threw 2 ints and Jones fumbled twice. If we can force 4 turnovers, and keep the ball, and keep the TOP, we win.

good post, you're exactly right about cooley. the cover 2 will free up the middle, and cooley has the speed to get to the holes in coverage and sit there. that will be key. as far as our wide outs, we will have to run alot of post routes and deep ins to beat the cover 2. initially after the snap, the bump and run on the outside (especially with our smaller receivers) will disrupt the timing, and decrease the facility of short dinks and screen passes. the skins like to throw alot of short slant passes after a 1-2 step drop (e.g. randle el on 4th and 2 last week), which should loosen up the press coverage.

Size is not what wins in the NFL...it is speed...our D is a prime example, FAST to the ball...Big receivers important in the red zone with fade routes to the corner flags...beyond that speed, recognizing coverage and route running is the most important factors...

Im thinking we should be fine. If we take a play from what the Bears did against them,we should own them easily...here's a formation I'm thinking we should see often from the Skins as it will create quite a few match up problems for the Pack:

TE--------TGCGT---------WR

---------FB--Q-------WR

-------------HB

Putting Cooley out wide will do several things:

1. It will most likely force the Pack to play a LB or Safety over him which will help open up the run.

2. If they play man, Cooley should easily beat his guy and get open.

3. Woodson and Harris will be neutralized on the other side in man coverage. If they play zone with one of them on the opposite side, the slot WR (ARE or McCardell) should be able to burn his guy easily.

4. If passing, I would expect them to motion Sellers to the right side for additional pass protection while having Portis help pick up any blitz or help out on KGB. The only way I think the Pack will be able to stop this is if they drop KGB into zone pass coverage instead of having him rush...but I doubt they'll do that.

Archived