Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Redskins Rebound Watch

stwasm

Some love from the Tuesday Morning Quarterback:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071009&sportCat=nfl

If only perhaps for an afternoon, it was 1991 again for the Redskins' home crowd. Detroit had been averaging 29 points per game, and it recorded only a field goal against the 1991-looking Washington defense. The Lions seemed to expect to be blitzed a lot; offensive coordinator Mike Martz loves it when defenses blitz because someone is sure to be open deep. Instead, tastefully named Gregg Williams of Washington crossed Martz up with a conservative defensive game, rushing just four and playing his safeties deep. Williams knew the Detroit offensive line was performing poorly, with 22 sacks allowed in its first four games. (After five more by the Redskins, Detroit has allowed a league-worst 27 sacks, which is a pace for 86 on the season.) Williams correctly guessed that if deep safeties took away the long passes Martz adores, Jon Kitna would become frustrated and make mistakes, which is what happened. The defensive strategy came together at the end of the third quarter, with Washington leading 14-3 and Detroit taking possession on its 6-yard line. Washington rushed four; Detroit kept six back to block; and Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons end Andre Carter blew past Lions tackle Jeff Backus so rapidly that Kitna barely could set up before being tackled for a safety. Safeties usually come on snaps from a team's 1-yard line. When you snap the ball from your 6, have six blockers opposing four rushers and give up a quick safety, you have issues.

Meantime, did you know the Redskins defense outscored the Detroit offense, 8-3 (Andre Carter's safety and the Carlos Rogers' interception return for touchdown)?

Some love from the Tuesday Morning Quarterback:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071009&sportCat=nfl

The defensive strategy came together at the end of the third quarter, with Washington leading 14-3 and Detroit taking possession on its 6-yard line. Washington rushed four; Detroit kept six back to block; and Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons end Andre Carter blew past Lions tackle Jeff Backus so rapidly that Kitna barely could set up before being tackled for a safety. Safeties usually come on snaps from a team's 1-yard line. When you snap the ball from your 6, have six blockers opposing four rushers and give up a quick safety, you have issues.

Meantime, did you know the Redskins defense outscored the Detroit offense, 8-3 (Andre Carter's safety and the Carlos Rogers' interception return for touchdown)?

Haha, thats an overlooked stat that I let get by me. Our D did score more than their offense.

I hope I can expect the same performance against the Packers. They suck at running the ball just like the Lions, so hopefully we can kill their running attack with just 7 in the box or just our front 4.

Haha, thats an overlooked stat that I let get by me. Our D did score more than their offense.

I hope I can expect the same performance against the Packers. They suck at running the ball just like the Lions, so hopefully we can kill their running attack with just 7 in the box or just our front 4.

Indeed, to frustrate the Favre would be pretty fantastic too. If we can get him to slip into "Hey im Brett Favre and I can throw into double coverage" then we should get a few more interceptions as well.

Yeah, but I think there's a HUGE difference between Jon Kitten and Brett Favre. We'll have our hands full!

Hail to the Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons

Hail Victory (although if we lose that's ok too)

Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons on the peaceful negotiations

Compromise for Ol' DC (and Maryland, Virginia and the rest of the world- don't wanna leave anybody out)

Good one! :notworthy

Hail to the Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons

Hail Victory (although if we lose that's ok too)

Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons on the peaceful negotiations

Compromise for Ol' DC (and Maryland, Virginia and the rest of the world- don't wanna leave anybody out)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Same here, that's good stuff though.

There is a HUGE difference between the Lions and Packers and I hope Gregg Williams knows so.

You all think just because the Packers throw deep all the time like the Lions. Wrong! Brett Favre will throw quick slants and short passes to eat up cushions and use them like runs. Even if they are only getting 4-5 yards. Kitna would never do that. Also, the Packers starting o-line is much better than the Lions, so our front 4 may not have the same success.

All I am saying is, we will need to blitz this game and play man to man coverage with Taylor roaming deep. I think we need to play the way we did against the Giants in the first half, as well as the Eagles game. Play up close with man to man on the edge, with zone in the middle.

The creepy "history repeating itself" fact of the week:

The last time we allowed fewer yards than this game was in 1991 against the Denver Broncos. The score was exactly the same, 34-3. Superbowl, here we come. As I recall, we flew under the radar that season, too.

The creepy "history repeating itself" fact of the week:

The last time we allowed fewer yards than this game was in 1991 against the Denver Broncos. The score was exactly the same' date=' 34-3. Superbowl, here we come. As I recall, we flew under the radar that season, too.[/quote']

We defiantly didnt fly under teh radar in 91 Playboy had us down as winning the division and going to the suberbowl a few other sports mags did also

The key is keeping the defense off the field and fresh. You could definitely tell by the end of the Giants game that they were a worn out unit. It'll be interesting to see if GW tries to use the same game plan this week, since Green Bay has trouble running the ball and Favre hates to patiently go down the field on long drives.

Archived