Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Return of the WR Screen.

Riggo-toni

In 05 and parts of '06, Moss was terrifying defenses with the WR screen. It's a play that goes straight to his and Brunell's strengths. It's been conspicuously absent since Campbell took over, largely because I think our coaches didn't trust him to make the throw quickly and accurately. A pass like that thrown late can have disastrous consequences (try not to think back that that nightmare play just before halftime in that game we must never speak of....). Given Campbell's long slow release last year, and his hesitation/late throws this year, I may have been disappointed, but not all that surprised that our most potent offensive playcall seemed to have vanished. And then.....

Then there was that play re-emerging last Sunday, despite the fact that Moss was inactive. Of all people, it went to Brandon Lloyd, who juked a tackle and turned it into a nice game. The pass was quick and clean, right on the money. Of all the great things that happened during the Lions game, that was one that has me salivating. It could lead to some crazy Moss TDs. Perhaps just as importantly, the fact that we called it is a strong indicator in my opinion of how much faith the coaches are now putting in Campbell.

By the way, if it's the first step to Lloyd getting out of the doghouse (doubtful, I don't remember anyone escaping that here once they've fallen from grace), a 3 wideout set with Moss, ARE, and Lloyd....oh my. :drool:

I was screamin my drunk freakin head off for us to run that play one time during the second half of the Giants game. I didn't understand why we have not run this play more. But I believe it IS because Campbell's mechanics are diff from Brunell's, and coaches didn't wanna chance it.

That being said, I was thrilled to see a version of it Sunday. I pray with all my heart that S Moss and J Campbell can get this play down so that Moss can take it upfield and we can party like its 1991.

I think that we will see the screen more from now on, but I don't think that it was the coaches lack of faith in Campbell that had the play shelved for the early part of the season, rather I think that it was the coaches desire to try to throw the long ball that caused the play to fall from the series play.

I don't really like that play to be honest. It's gotten a few big gains for us in the past. But we went to that play too often. Defenses keyed into it, and we stopped getting the production from it that we did back in KC '05. It just doesn't have the punch to it if they're waiting for it. And it's a risky play that allows a fast DB to jump the route and go for 6.

It's fine every once in a while. But in all honesty, I would prefer to see it less than once a week. Maybe every other or every third game. That way, it's still a big gainer, but it's not something the defense can really spend the resources to key in on.

I love the play, and when we used to run it a lot, despite when defenses knew it was coming, they couldn't stop it. There were variations of how we ran it and it worked way more often then not when we used Moss and Cooley. We now have more weapons on offense so we need to run it.

I like it 3-4 times a game because its still hard for defenses to see it coming when we run it differently (i.e. delayed so blockers can get out there, or just a quick throw like to Lloyd yesterday where he doesn't really have blockers but just a chance to make something happen) or out of different formations.

I'm not sure if any other team has as good of tools to use on this play as we do, Moss has said it's his favorite play, and if you watch his highlights from 05, he probably had about 10+ big gains on screens whether it was 30 yards, :) 78 yards, or just 10-15 when we needed a big first down and he made it happen. Cooley is great on these too, not for huge gains, but he gets a block and always gets through the first guy...I'd say he gets 10+ yards 9/10 times on this play

I think they're saving it for later in the season. Like others have said, I hope they don't do it too much, though. When it was MB doing it all the time, it became my least favorite play, because they did it every other possession and defenses keyed on it.

Jason Campbell has grown up. He threw many impressive passes against the Lions:

- Quick Slant to Randle El

- The 2 Deep Posts to McCardell

- Of course the screen pass to BL

- A couple of crossing patterns to Randle El

- Improvising TD pass to Sellers.

... you get the picture... I could go on and on. Saunders should remove the "shackles" from JC and let him be. He is releasing the ball much quicker and making better decisions right now. The bottom line is that he is an NFL QUARTERBACK.

:packsuck:

I don't really like that play to be honest. It's gotten a few big gains for us in the past. But we went to that play too often. Defenses keyed into it, and we stopped getting the production from it that we did back in KC '05.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think the reason defenses could key into it is because they knew Brunell couldn't make them pay downfield. With JC, I am confident it will be a different story. Also, one of the beneficial side effects of running it a couple times a game, even if it's for little gain, is it forces the DBs up to the line of scrimmage. With no cushion, I think this will let our burner WRs get open on the long go-routes.

Archived