Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX Sports Power Rankings: Week 6

No_Pressure

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

11 28.gif Redskins 16 (+5) 11/24

The Redskins offense bounced back from a second-half collapse vs. the Giants in Week 3 with an explosion against the Lions on Sunday. The defense looked even better. Washington outgained Detroit 366-144, converted 12 more first downs, and won the time of possession battle 34:35-25:25. Washington's home record against the Lions since 1937? 21-0. Bizarre, right? What's not bizarre? The fact that the Redskins are now 3-1. A high-flying offense complimented by a solid defense five weeks into the season, Washington's truly one of the more pleasant surprises in the NFL this year.

I don't get why it takes most teams so long to move up, yet the #21 Chargers move up to #9 because they blew out an injured and struggling Broncos team...it isn't like these are the 2005 Broncos that went 13-3, yet the Chargers win 41-3 and they are automatically "back".

These people seem to have forgotten that it is Norv Turner style to have 3 or 4 great games per season. It's all part of his plan to play for 9-7 or 8-8, miss the playoffs by one game, but leave the Chargers front office hopeful that next season will be more of the 41-3 wins. Thats how he repeatedly makes talented teams play below their level and still gets hired. Everyone is still thinking he is 1 season away from making their team the 1993 Cowboys.

I don't get why it takes most teams so long to move up, yet the #21 Chargers move up to #9 because they blew out an injured and struggling Broncos team...it isn't like these are the 2005 Broncos that went 13-3, yet the Chargers win 41-3 and they are automatically "back".

These people seem to have forgotten that it is Norv Turner style to have 3 or 4 great games per season. It's all part of his plan to play for 9-7 or 8-8, miss the playoffs by one game, but leave the Chargers front office hopeful that next season will be more of the 41-3 wins. Thats how he repeatedly makes talented teams play below their level and still gets hired. Everyone is still thinking he is 1 season away from making their team the 1993 Cowboys.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And it's more proof that the Charger's ranking (and these rankings overall) isn't based on their present strength from week to week but rather the media's perception of how good they should be and last year's performance among other biased factors.

If the media's perception of Dallas hadn't solidified their position in the top 3, the near loss to Buffalo would have surely opened the door for the Steelers to move up after shutting out the previously #5 ranked Seahawks.

Absolutely brilliant post.

I didnt think Detroit were suspect in fairness. High-powered offence vs strong D (ours) and the D won it. I can see the OPs point of view but I don't think it matters what the Fox power rankings say about us too much - due to their ahem "opinions" being obviously flawed.

Not bad - I thought they would slip into #10 but they havent beat anyone good yet.

We all know Detroit sucks and will always suck - Miami is the worst team in the league and they needed overtime at home to beat them - winning in Philly was big for the Skins but they stink and then they blow a lead vs. the Gmen.

They are getting better every week - thats the most encouraging thing..... so, if they continue to play well, then by week 8 they could be in the top 5-8.

I don't really put too much stock into these rankings but when I saw the Ravens in the top 10 I about fell out of my chair. That team can't get into the endzone to save their lives and the defense is still good but not the dominant force of years past.

The 3 games they have won are all against teams well outside of the top 16.

Archived