Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DallasPukes.com: Game Notes: Bills Keep Owens Unusually Quiet

tr1

Rob Phillips - Email

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

October 8, 2007 11:12 PM

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=844234E9-ED9E-E919-B8135E390F0D8F79

Owens was held to two catches for 25 yards against Buffalo.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens' modest numbers against St. Louis last Sunday (three catches, 33 yards) resulted from a steady diet of double teams which helped Patrick Crayton catch a career-high seven passes for 184 yards and two touchdowns.

Owens got more single coverage in Monday night's 25-24 victory over Buffalo, but his production actually slipped to just two catches for 25 yards.

One reason was an unusually poor performance from quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee, who completed just 29 of 50 passes and had five interceptions for a 49.9 rating. He tried to connect with Owens downfield several times, but the passes were forced or underthrown.

"The ones that were thrown to me, I felt like I had opportunities," said Owens, who now has 21 catches for 387 yards and three touchdowns through five games. "The ball was kind of sailing a little bit and it was a lot of tight, close throws to the sideline."

Owens' final missed opportunity - a failed two-point conversion pass from Romo sits to pee on a fade route with the Cowboys trying to tie the game in the final seconds - might have been his team's saving grace.

Trailing 24-22, the Cowboys recovered the ensuing onside kick and got in position for Nick Folk's game-winning 53-yard field goal as time expired.

"It was just a situation where I tried to adjust to it," Owens said of the two-point conversion attempt. "The ball was kind of underthrown and it was kind of on (the defender's) helmet, so I tried to reach over and he just kind of shot up through it.

"I just felt like there were some opportunities there when I was open. Just didn't happen, but the game is over with. We won the game. It's something we can obviously correct."

Wilson's Suspension Ends

The Cowboys' coaching staff should be back at full strength Tuesday now that quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson has completed his five-game NFL suspension for violating the league's performance enhancing substance policy.

Wilson, who admitted taking a banned substance to improve his "quality of life" while an assistant coach for the Chicago Bears, was prohibited from having any contact with the Cowboys during his suspension and fined $100,000 by the league.

Where's The Hook?

The thought probably crossed many a mind Cowboys starting quarterback Tony Romo sits to pee might get yanked after throwing four first-half interceptions.

Just not the one belonging to head coach Wade Phillips, even after his starting quarterback was intercepted a fifth time in the fourth quarter.

"He didn't throw six," Phillips said, deflecting any notion of losing faith in Romo sits to pee. "He had a tough night, but he kept battling back."

Phillips pointed out how Romo sits to pee got the completion to wide receiver Terrell Owens down to the 26 and managed to spike the ball with one second remaining to set up what appeared would be a 44-yard game winner for Nick Folk.

But the replay booth claimed to have called down before Romo sits to pee spiked the ball, and upon further review, referee Peter Morelli determined Owens and dropped the ball with 18 seconds remaining.

So when asked if he had any advice for Romo sits to pee during his struggles, Phillips said, "I didn't have anything for him. He still was calm, and it's not like he was excited or ranting or having problems."

--Mickey Spagnola

Game Points

* Cowboys linebacker Kevin Burnett did not return to the game after suffering an apparent leg injury in the third quarter.

* Cowboys running backs Julius Jones and Marion Barber combined for 69 yards on 20 carries, nearly equal to Lynch's 20 rushes for 66 yards.

* The Cowboys' five penalties for 31 yards gives them six penalties in the last two games, a marked improvement from their 12 infractions against Chicago.

* Buffalo converted only 3 of 13 third downs for a 23-percent efficiency rating.

* Inactives for the Cowboys included safeties Courtney Brown (biceps) and Keith Davis (shoulder); cornerback Anthony Henry (ankle); fullback Oliver Hoyte; wide receiver Terry Glenn (knee); and offensive linemen Joe Berger, Doug Free and James Marten.

Archived