Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The one thing that worries me about this team !!!

baralufficus

Is Clinton Portis .... I love the guy for one ... This is not a bash Clinton Thread ... But over the years since he has been a Skin ... I have noticed something ...

He loves to be the center of the attention ... When he plays well , and the Skins win , you never know what he might do that week... Dress up, be funny ... whatever it is , it is for attention ..

For the last 2 years , the main logic was that we need to continue to feed him the ball, and just run Portis crazy ... It worked in 05 , and he was the main reason the Skins went 10-6 and into the 2nd round of the playoffs ...

But last year he got hurt , and Betts had a great 2nd half of a season ... It just looks to me as if he is not running consistantly confident like I have seen him in the past run ...

Part of me thinks alot of it is because the attention Jason Campbell is getting ... For awhile , the thought process was that we needed Portis to be a good team ... While I still believe that , I also think that Campbell is way more important to this offence then Portis is ... And I feel he is getting that vibe as well ... Considering the comments he made about how us fans don't like him yada yada yada.. I am worried about his confidence right now ... Especially now that he has fumbled each of the last 2 games ...

Bottom line is this ... IMO , If Portis is not the MAN on offence then I tend to think he starts feeling less needed and it could be showing in his play ....

I personally feel like we need him if we are to make a big push for the playoffs ... There is just something about his play this season that has me worried , and this is one of my reasons maybe as to why ..

HTTR~

the only reason he isn't completely tearing it up is his knee. he is extremely tough and a team player...are you watching the same guy I am?
Yeah I am ... Like I said I am not bashing the guy ... But I didn't think a bad knee would be the causes of Fumbles ... Like the one against the Giants ... It just looks like his concentration is off just a bit ...

We have a more balanced offense than '05 and think it is really that simple. We dont need to ride Portis only, because we are playing like a team. He is consistently moving the chains for us and if we continue to throw the ball well then that is all we can ask for. Portis is a great pass protector and consistent in the back field. A balanced offense is a succesfull offense IMO

While I have been a defender of Portis in the past and I am not entirely off of the bandwagon I am slightly concerned considering he has been hurt at some point in both of the last two games....

He was not in the game when we needed him vs. the Giants and he missed some time yesterday because of his knee, while he didn't miss many snaps because of the injury yesterday I would hate for this to become the routine....

I hope this is all due to the same injury and will work itself out very soon because I would hate for all of the mediots to be right regarding his durability. The fumbles are also a concern however I believe that is much easier to fix considering Portis' track record....

Green Bay's D is legit...we need you homie.

Its not his play that has worries me. But he has said some things to the media that throw you off a little bit I dont know what his deal is but he needs to relax and just play football. He is still the heart of the team.

He pulls himself off the field too much. Stay on the field and run the rock.

We're spreading the ball out to the other backs a lot more than in the past. Portis is doing an excellent job when you take into account the number of carries he's getting, and NO RB can block like he can, he's the best in the league in pass protection.
I agree with you a hundred percent ... He is bar-none the best pass blocking RB in the league ...

But I guess I should have also said the fact about Gibbs maybe not putting as much trust in Portis as he should ,.... Which is why he was missing in the last drive against the Giants ... Gibbs will pull his stars if they fumble in crucial times in the game ..

HTTR~

We, as fans -wanted Portis to "act up" in 2005; last year he was "hurt" - NOW this year, he is stepping up and keeping team morale up and coming into his own as a PRO ball players - and not the "young show off and little rich kid" that some labeled him, including the press.

Portis is still playing hurt - but he is playing through the pain, not IR -

Support Portis - he does more than "just run the ball"........:2cents:

Why do some guys on this thread super analyze this team. For the first time in a long time the skins have production from all three parts: special teams, offense and defense. Why, can't we just take in the win and feel good about a team that is probably one of the top five team in the NFC.

While I have been a defender of Portis in the past and I am not entirely off of the bandwagon I am slightly concerned considering he has been hurt at some point in both of the last two games....

He was not in the game when we needed him vs. the Giants and he missed some time yesterday because of his knee, while he didn't miss many snaps because of the injury yesterday I would hate for this to become the routine....

I hope this is all due to the same injury and will work itself out very soon because I would hate for all of the mediots to be right regarding his durability. The fumbles are also a concern however I believe that is much easier to fix considering Portis' track record....

Green Bay's D is legit...we need you homie.

That is exactly how I feel ... Although I think Portis not in the Giants game could have been Gibbs call .. I don't know

HTTR~

I agree with you a hundred percent ... He is bar-none the best pass blocking RB in the league ...

But I guess I should have also said the fact about Gibbs maybe not putting as much trust in Portis as he should ,.... Which is why he was missing in the last drive against the Giants ... Gibbs will pull his stars if they fumble in crucial times in the game ..

HTTR~

Yeah, personally I'd like to see Portis get more touches per game, Betts is good but he just doesn't have the big-play potential that CP does. I think a good combination of Portis and Sellers with Betts jumping in when Portis is gasses is a good combination.

Is Clinton Portis .... I love the guy for one ... This is not a bash Clinton Thread ... But over the years since he has been a Skin ... I have noticed something ...

He loves to be the center of the attention ... When he plays well , and the Skins win , you never know what he might do that week... Dress up, be funny ... whatever it is , it is for attention ..

For the last 2 years , the main logic was that we need to continue to feed him the ball, and just run Portis crazy ... It worked in 05 , and he was the main reason the Skins went 10-6 and into the 2nd round of the playoffs ...

But last year he got hurt , and Betts had a great 2nd half of a season ... It just looks to me as if he is not running consistantly confident like I have seen him in the past run ...

Part of me thinks alot of it is because the attention Jason Campbell is getting ... For awhile , the thought process was that we needed Portis to be a good team ... While I still believe that , I also think that Campbell is way more important to this offence then Portis is ... And I feel he is getting that vibe as well ... Considering the comments he made about how us fans don't like him yada yada yada.. I am worried about his confidence right now ... Especially now that he has fumbled each of the last 2 games ...

Bottom line is this ... IMO , If Portis is not the MAN on offence then I tend to think he starts feeling less needed and it could be showing in his play ....

I personally feel like we need him if we are to make a big push for the playoffs ... There is just something about his play this season that has me worried , and this is one of my reasons maybe as to why ..

HTTR~

nahh.....not worried about that. my concern...which I hope traces to temporary knee issues..is that he seems a tad slower with the burst. he has shifted his style to following the blocking and seems so committed to that that the improvisational running is no longer there. his one BIG advanatage, it seems, is that he sees the field well and senses where the holes are quickly - I ahve always that that was one of his big advantages over Betts. how he exploits that is another matter.

Yeah and I didn't get the fumble against the Giants but I think the one against the Lions could be defended. After the initial hit, once the other defender jumped on Portis from the back the ball popped loose. Although, he hasn't had as good as a start as he would normally have with us by now. I just think it's his knee.

First of all my fellow Skins fans ... Let me just say that I am super excited about the win{s} , and in the fashion we have done it in ....

But as a long time fan , I do tend to over watch things and so on ... Not to mention that I am a coach of a football team ... And we as coaches seem to do that , even when it might not be nessasary ....

Not once was I doom and gloom when it came to Portis ... All I basically said was that there is something wrong with his confidence ... Am I that bad for saying that ??

I love how this team is playing ... I love the defensive energy the Skins have ... I love the slow but steady production the offence is having as well ... And the Special Teams are playing outstanding ... But I don't think I am that off-base to say that Portis is not playing the way I know he can play ...

That is just my opinion ... I know he is the best pass-blocking RB in the league ... I know we are spreading the ball around more ... I am only talking about when he touches the ball ... 70 percent of the time I see him do great things ... Fight for extra yardage etc etc.... But IMO , there is just something not right with his concentration for 60 minutes in every game ...

HTTR~

I think they need to give the ball alittle more....He is the HEART AND SOUL of this offense.....Campbell would not be as goood without him...HTTR>.....

HTTR~

Some of us may have already forgotten that Portis didn't practice AT ALL during training camp or pre-season, save for the week before the season started.

With that said, he's now in what would be the 3rd week of the preseason for most of the other players.

He's just NOW getting into football shape after not playing for the last half of '06.

Couple that with getting beat up during REAL games so far this year, and I would say that Clinton has done a great job.

Don't worry that he's not in mid-season form yet....he'll get there......right around the beginning of the home stretch.

:silly:

I appreciate where you are coming from, but honestly ... the only thing different about him is the way in which he is treated by the media.

Our understanding of him comes only from what we see on the field, what he says in interviews, and what the media decides to analyze about him or his game. Unless we've had the chance to personally talk to him about the team, and as far as every thing i have heard from fans who have met him, he is a great guy always willing to say "hi" and sign an autograph and real down to earth.

Clinton Portis is one of the toughest players on our team, and he is far from an attention grasper.

They showed a close up of him when Sellars scored his second touchdown, and when Thrash returned that punt ... Portis was waving his towel and celebrating his team's success. I will admit the fumbling concerns me a bit.

But IMO the fumble against the Giants was more of JC's fault, the RB should not have to look the ball into his stomach, it is the QB's responsibility to get it in there so that he can look ahead to where he is running. At least that's how i was taught to play RB in pop-warner?

The fumble this past week ... well ... what can you say? he was being tackled and had both arms wrapped around the football. I don't think it was a lack of concentration, just one of those things. had he been carrying the ball with one arm, on the same side as the defender i would say that is bad technique. This one was a "squirter." if it continues to happen again, then it could become a bigger problem that needs to be addressed.

Regardless, we've all seen Betts fumble plenty of times, and Rock and Sellers has before too ... there is no person on the team besides Portis i want to have the ball in his hands, except for Sellars inside the 2 yard line.

I think the only thing bothering Clinton is him trying to stay healthy. he's gonna be banged up, but if we can spell him and keep him from a serious injury, we should be in good shape in December. That is why we signed Betts after all. HTTR!

Archived