Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Campbell coming into his own (can someone post this plz?)

EnFoRcEr_uPu

This article is from Scouts, Inc. on ESPN.com. It's an insider article, so I'm hoping someone can post it. I'm surprised it hasn't been posted yet honestly, lol.(no surprise it's hidden on the page pretty much).

ESPN Insider Article

" If the Washiongton Redskins' offense keeps clicking like it did in Sunday's 34-3 win over the Detroit Lions, the Redskins will be hard to beat. They certainly face a tougher test in Week 6 against the Green Bay Packers, but offensive coordinator Al Saunders certainly called a great game against the Lions and the offense looked very impressive. Jason Campbell Quarterback

Washington Redskins

Saunders used three running backs effectively in the running game and the passing game. Clinton Portis is the every-down back who runs the counter and power plays very well, and against Detroit he showed great pad level and balance that allowed him to gain extra yards after initial contact. Fullback Mike Sellers also made an impression on the Lions. Sellers is a physical brute who drags defenders forward with him and is also a surprisingly good route-runner with capable hands who can also line up as a tight end on occasion. Sellers ran a seam route from that position on Sunday and made a solid catch before punishing Detroit SS Kenoy Kennedy, who attempted to bring Sellers down with a high tackle. Ladell Betts also gained a few yards while spelling Portis, showing that the Redskins have a good option when Portis needs a break. The bottom line is that all three are physical runners who will take on defenders directly in order to gain positive yards."

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=nfl_nfc

If the Washiongton Redskins' offense keeps clicking like it did in Sunday's 34-3 win over the Detroit Lions, the Redskins will be hard to beat. They certainly face a tougher test in Week 6 against the Green Bay Packers, but offensive coordinator Al Saunders certainly called a great game against the Lions and the offense looked very impressive.

Jason Campbell

Quarterback

Washington Redskins

2007 SEASON STATISTICS

Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat

113 67 842 4 3 84.3

Saunders used three running backs effectively in the running game and the passing game. Clinton Portis is the every-down back who runs the counter and power plays very well, and against Detroit he showed great pad level and balance that allowed him to gain extra yards after initial contact. Fullback Mike Sellers also made an impression on the Lions. Sellers is a physical brute who drags defenders forward with him and is also a surprisingly good route-runner with capable hands who can also line up as a tight end on occasion. Sellers ran a seam route from that position on Sunday and made a solid catch before punishing Detroit SS Kenoy Kennedy, who attempted to bring Sellers down with a high tackle. Ladell Betts also gained a few yards while spelling Portis, showing that the Redskins have a good option when Portis needs a break. The bottom line is that all three are physical runners who will take on defenders directly in order to gain positive yards.

That is a big help for Washington QB Jason Campbell, a former first-round pick who is living up to his potential under Saunders. Campbell is making all the throws necessary for the offense to succeed. Against the Lions he displayed enough touch to complete passes on the second level, accurately dropping the ball over the Detroit linebackers and into the hands of WR Antwaan Randle El and TE Chris Cooley. Randle El, Cooley and the rest of Washington's receivers are benefiting from Campbell's accuracy on the second level, and also his ability to throw the deep ball.

The combination of three-step drops and effective play-action passes gives Campbell a great chance to helping his team win games, and when you add in his athleticism he has the look of a quarterback who could lead his team to the postseason.

The combination of three-step drops and effective play-action passes gives Campbell a great chance to helping his team win games, and when you add in his athleticism he has the look of a quarterback who could lead his team to the postseason.

I cant believe they charge people to read this stuff. Play action and 5 and 7 step drops are the staple - we use the 3 step sparingly and often even then its as a blitz pick up.

He played a great game Sunday though - very encouraging.

I cant believe they charge people to read this stuff. Play action and 5 and 7 step drops are the staple - we use the 3 step sparingly and often even then its as a blitz pick up.

He played a great game Sunday though - very encouraging.

:laugh: :laugh:

No kidding. They give you a taste of the article on the site and then hint that if you pay to be an insider you'll get the rest of a great, long , detailed article. But then you pay and its like...thats it? My grandmother could have written that.

It seems like 10 NFL starts is around the time when the good NFL QB's start taking off and showing that they belong. His 9th start, at Philly on MNF, I think was his breakthrough game, and now with yesterday's 11th start his growth is starting to be reflected statistically. In this offense given the fact that it takes shots downfield and relies upon the run to set up the pass, a 60% completion rate is going to be scary. He doesn't need to complete 65% or 70% the way that Brady does to be successful.

I'm just ecstatic that they're bringing him along the right way, and he's responding. It sure makes football fun again.

:laugh: :laugh:

No kidding. They give you a taste of the article on the site and then hint that if you pay to be an insider you'll get the rest of a great, long , detailed article. But then you pay and its like...thats it? My grandmother could have written that.

I agree. ESPN is a joke in terms of how they make you pay for everything. I completely stopped using their website for infomation. There are plenty of other websites out there.

Archived