Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I like our secondary very much

wbar3383

Watching the first 5 weeks, I have loved watching our secondary.

Most of the top teams have good offensive attacks. We are talking Manning, Brady, Moss, Harrison, Romo sits to pee, Owens, Farve, Johnson, Eli, etc...

Good offense seems to dominate regular season play. Good defense is the tipping balance when two good offenses meet. Which is why defense wins championships, because normally most playoff teams (with exceptions) can light it up.

During the offseason, we spent alot of resources on upgrading our secondary. With Springs, Smoot, Taylor, Landry, Rodgers, and Macklin, I sincerely believe we can hang with any passing attack.

If you go on any fan board (good teams) and listen to the pregame smack talk, you will always hear about the skill player matchups.

Almost to a fault every team they have faced seems to have a shortage of good cover guys and at least one of their weapons runs havoc in every game.

Fortunately this is an area in which we shine.

We concentrated on getting very deep in the secondary this offseason because Williams thought that was the achilles heel of his schemes.

I love having great lines, and I love pass rushers, but I think having the extra secondary help is gonna be solid gold later in the season.

While other teams have to scheme around the high powered weapons on the elite teams, we on the other hand can force the issue. They have to scheme around us.

If we pick up a good WR and DE next year and get more depth, I think we will be int he thick of things for years to come.

We have to credit a lot of the secondary's ability to the fact that we are getting a push on the D-Line. We had what, 5 sacks yesterday?

There was definately a swagger with this defense yesterday. I was at the game and there was an energy that i havent felt when this defense was on the field in a long time.

The addition of London Fletcher was HUGE for us because not only does a middle linebacker cover the RB.. but he puts players in the right place. He runs the defense.

Laron Landry is also a very big part of this defense. While only a rookie, he's having an amazing season, not only his play but his presence. Laron Landry/Sean Taylor tandem is a force and it's making a difference. A very evident difference. We took the leading passer in the league gave up no big plays.

Yesterdays game shows what MANY OF US HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS!

Our DB's are fine, its the lack of pass rush that made them look bad. Look at how we rushed only 4, got pressure and were able to leave guys back in coverage to get interceptions.

Walt Harris is a prime example. Sucked her without a pass rush, went to SanFran and made the probowl and is still having a helluva season this year.

Our secondary is PHENOMENAL, we just need to get consistent with our rush.

Yea. No one has really talked about this much, but how about Laron's play breaking up that pass right before the half to force another punt. He showed great instincts on that play. Definately not a rookie-type play. And that frickin hit he put on Kevin Jones. WOW!!!! Sounded like a mack truck crashing into a brick building. We don't here his name a whole lot throughout the games, but I think its because, like Sean Taylor, he's taking the part of the field hes covering away from the offense.

Getting rid of Adam Archuletta helps any secondary.

Getting rid of Adam Archuletta and putting in a beast like Laron Landry is like finding a thousand dollars lying on the ground.

Yea, except Archuleta punched us in the face, stole the money and took that thousand dollars with him to Chicago.

Yesterdays game shows what MANY OF US HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS!

Our DB's are fine, its the lack of pass rush that made them look bad. Look at how we rushed only 4, got pressure and were able to leave guys back in coverage to get interceptions.

Walt Harris is a prime example. Sucked her without a pass rush, went to SanFran and made the probowl and is still having a helluva season this year.

Our secondary is PHENOMENAL, we just need to get consistent with our rush.

Yeah, my friend (Die Hard Eagles fan) was saying that as soon as we get another beast DL, our defense is going to be unstoppable.

Yeah, my friend (Die Hard Eagles fan) was saying that as soon as we get another beast DL, our defense is going to be unstoppable.

Yea, I'm already watching alot more college games to see who's going to be available at DT for us. And is he going to be any good before we take him or after. :laugh:

One more pass rushing DE and a monster WR to go along with playmakers Moss and Randle el makes this team super bowl caliber.

Play from our d-line yesterday throughout the year and McCardell, Lloyd, and Caldwell filling the role of possession receiver makes this team very good right now.

We are tough.

Landry and Taylor are beasts and teams are going to fear the middle.

Am I the only one who wants to take some offensive linemen with our low round picks? I definitely want a DE, but we are going to need to address the line sometime soon.

Offensive line definitely needs youthful depth, especially at Guard. I like Heyer alot at tackle behind Samuels and Jansen. Looks like he has potential. But we definitely need some youth at guard. Guards can definitely be found in the later rounds.

We might need a corner depending on what happens with Springs. That could possibly be addressed in free agency. If not, then I think it's a position that needs to be addressed within the first two rounds of the draft.

Daniels is decent but he's always dinged up or injured it seems. I like Evans as a situational player but we definitely need some youth there at left end. Would LOVE it if the Skins were able to pick up Campbell from Miami in the first round next year... but hopefully we won't be drafting high enough to get him.

Possession WR would be a luxury pick.

Archived