Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taking lessons from yesterday's victory

UltimateSkinFan616

The game against the Lions was the game we've all een waiting for. It was the game our defense shined, the day Jason Campbell was let loose, and the day the entire team executed nearly flawlessly. Oh, and Carlos Rogers actually caught an interception. Can't forget about that. :laugh:

This was a game we needed. I worried all week about how we were going to stop the number one passing attack in the NFL and yesterday the defense officially laid my fears to rest. The Lions offense is no joke. This is a big accomplishment, no dbout about it. Our defensive stats are now in the top ten of the NFL and if we keep playing like we did yesterday then we have a chance at going deep into the playoffs.

This is a great momentum builder, but we have to keep it up. I stayed up last last night to watch the Packers/Bears game to size up our next opponent and I was happy to see that Brett Favre and his crew are hardly invincible. The Bears managed to overcome their rivals even with a banged up defense and a half-hearted offense. That to me shows that the Packers are more vulnerable than their record shows, but they are not the Lions.

The Packers have a much more balanced offense and a quarterback that is not easily rattled. We probably won't be able to drop all our guys back in coverage like we did with the Lions. We'll have to do something to get pressure on Favre so he doesn't get comfortable. Because when he's comfortable, he's almost unstoppable.

One thing about yesterday that I think the Redskins should take to heart is the value of their D-line. It's been criticized since last year and yesterday they silenced those critics. They proved that they can attack the quarterback without fancy blitzes and what not. In effect, our secondary was their greatest ally. They made it so Kitna was forced to wait for something to develop. And that was all the time our line needed and we have 5 sacks and a safety to show for it.

Against Green Bay, we need to show them we mean business. That means using more blitzing and buying time in the secondary. Our speed needs to be in coverage while our blitzers like Marcus Washington and Randall Godfrey need to tie up the tight ends and force Favre to improvise.

On offense, if Jason Campbell plays like he did yesterday we're in good shape. Hopefully we'll have ARE and Moss back, but even if we don't we still have some good depth to work with in Thrash, Caldwell, McCardell, and Lloyd. And if our running game steps up we should be in good shape.

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic about the next quarter of the season. The Redskins showed they can be an elite team. And we'll need to keep that up as we play some other elite teams soon. We play like yesterday and there's no team we can't beat. :dallasuck

Greenbay has a tough defense. I also watched the game last night, and their corners of harris and woodson play very agressive, so we need some recievers. I think their linebackers do a better job stopping run than covering, so Cooley could be a big part of the offense next week. A win in Greenbay will put this team on the map. HTTR

Greenbay has a tough defense. I also watched the game last night, and their corners of harris and woodson play very agressive, so we need some recievers. I think their linebackers do a better job stopping run than covering, so Cooley could be a big part of the offense next week. A win in Greenbay will put this team on the map. HTTR

Unfortunately, with our OL issues we've been forced to keep Cooley in to block more often. Add to that the fact that GB has some good pass rushers and we're going to have our hands full.

If we manage to somehow NOT make as many mistakes as we have been, we've got a great chance of beating this team though.

Another is the maturity of Carlos Rogers. I didn't see anymore celebrations after a missed catch by a wr and after he scored the td he quietly placed the ball down and ran back to the team. What a difference.

Archived