Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Derrick Frost, Danny Smith and the ST Units...excellent!

tr1

He's averaging 44.5 yards.

It's great to have solid punting again.

Swish gets a couple into the endzone for touchbacks...

Thrash has the big run back...

And, let's face it, Danny Smith deserves a lot of credit.

All of the units were excellent.

I actually thought the results were a bit mixed. Suisham missed a very makeable 48 yarder, Thrash fumbled on his long return, and we gave up a decent return to the Lions in the second half.

I'm sure Danny will be harping on these things this week in practice.

Frost continues to impress.

I was not liking Danny Smith much in 2004, but in 2005 and since, he's improved tremendously. If Rock Cartwright can return a kick for a td, you know something is good. I wish we still had Jimoh on special teams, but Thrash and Khary Campbell have always done well on them.

Danny SMith is by far the most underrated special teams coach in the NFL.

i agree man, the special teams look good, but suisham has a tendancy to pull kicks. frost, returns, and coverage all look A+.

speaking of special teams, how about taylor's block on thrash's long return. OMG! you gotta love a guy who gives it his all no matter what like that. he is a pro bowler that will put his body on the line even on special teams.

anyone gotta clip of that by the way?

speaking of special teams, how about taylor's block on thrash's long return. OMG! you gotta love a guy who gives it his all no matter what like that. he is a pro bowler that will put his body on the line even on special teams.

anyone gotta clip of that by the way?

That was classic!

Can you imagine showing that in an opponent's film session...you gotta know the guys covering kicks for our opponents are gonna keep an eye on Taylor wherever he is...

I'll own up here - I owe Danny Smith a HUGE apology. He was the only coaching hire I didn't like, and I was certain he'd be the next LeCharles, but our ST play has been very, very impressive the last two years. He's made the right calls, and the right personnel moves - especially sticking with Frost.

That was classic!

Can you imagine showing that in an opponent's film session...you gotta know the guys covering kicks for our opponents are gonna keep an eye on Taylor wherever he is...

opponets kick coverage from now on: :paranoid: , "OH NO, WHERE IS HE? WHERE IS MEAST! AHHHH! NOOOOO!"

Also watching Vernon Fox and Reed Doughty tackle a returner before he even made it back to the 20 was a ST highlight for me as well. These guys definitely proved their worth for the team.

I really thought we'd miss Jimoh, but these guys are very good...

A few thoughts on Teams...

1. It is true that they were horrible in Danny Smith's first year, and a lot of venom was aimed at him. It seems clear now that he didn't have the personnel, they were very good last year and even better so far this year.

2. Saw a post criticizing Suisham (sp?). Easy, fellas (and ladies). I think he only missed like one FG after we signed him last year and only 1 or 2 so far this year. We have been WAY too impatient with young kickers in the past (see Akers, David), and I suspect Suisham will be a Skin for quite a while.

3. As good--and important--as special teams are, I still get uncomfortable by the number of starters we play on teams... It would be brutal to lose a Shawn Springs, Sean Taylor or Laron Landry to an injury on a punt return. That said, I still can't decide whether I enjoyed Taylor's block or Sellers' steamrolling of the safety more.....

Archived