Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Redskins' defense quiets Lions' offensive roar *(good MERGED article)*

skinsfannyc76

Did a search and didn't see this anywhere. Just wanted to share this article--have to be honest, it gave me goosebumps reading it. I love playing the role of underdog (I think it suits us better), but it was nice to read this anyways.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3053217

Our defense is better because da Bears defense is worse cause now da Bears have Adam Archuletta

Why does he state that Zona is going to be a more challenging game than this one? Other than that great article.

I would guess because to go along with the two serious receivers, they have a back who is actually a threat. Edge wasn't all that impressive today (88 on 26, I think), but he's clearly capable. However, I think the secondary showed today that they can get it done and the line definitely showed that they can pressure the passer. If the D plays like this on a consistent basis, wow.

Why does he state that Zona is going to be a more challenging game than this one? Other than that great article.

Arizona actually has a running game with James. The Lions are one dimensional and easier to gameplan against because of it.

If we go out next week and really beat Green Bay then I really think the only true competition we will see this year playoff wise is in the NFC East and maybe Seattle. Other than that it is starting to look real good right about now!

By Jeffri Chadiha

ESPN.com

LANDOVER, Md. -- Just how stout has the Washington Redskins' defense become? Check out what the 88,944 fans saw in a 34-3 win over the Detroit Lions on Sunday. Or rather, what they didn't see.

No highlight-reel pass plays for the Lions. No mind-boggling numbers to sort through after the game clock expired. No fireworks from noted genius Mike Martz, whose offense had averaged 28.5 points coming into FedEx Field.

The Redskins defense held the Lions to nearly 240 yards less than their average.

Instead, there was only frustration on the visiting sideline as the Lions were held to 144 total yards. Now consider this: The Redskins achieved all that without a particularly complex strategy. As Pro Bowl receiver Roy Williams, who was held to three receptions, noted afterward: "They just forced us to run the football. And they did a good job of holding us down."

Indeed, the Redskins' defense had the Lions' number. And it likely won't be the last time Washington's improved defense clamps down on an opponent this season. You can see as much in the way the Redskins carry themselves. They're shadowing receivers, harassing passers and stuffing ball-carriers.

A year ago, offensive coordinators couldn't wait to face a unit that fell to 31st in the league after absorbing injuries to key players such as defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and cornerback Shawn Springs. Now, they have to wonder how to attack a defense that is giving up just 13 points a game.

"The big thing for us is that we have everybody here and we're healthy," said cornerback Carlos Rogers, who capped off the win by scoring on a 61-yard interception return. "Nobody is trying to do too much, and we're all basically sticking to our roles. That's how you play good defense in this league."

The most impressive part of Sunday's game was the way the Redskins altered their identity.

Normally, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams loves blitzing and playing man coverage. But after studying Detroit's offense -- and discovering that Lions quarterback Jon Kitna had a passer rating better than 100.00 when facing pressure -- Williams opted for a more conservative approach. He dropped seven defenders into coverage on every pass play and let his defensive line carry the burden of applying pressure.

The result: The Redskins finished with five sacks, including one by defensive end Andre Carter that resulted in a third-quarter safety.

What's scary about that kind of production is that it means the Redskins now can be even more diverse. Williams basically dared the Lions to run, and equally aggressive Martz didn't have the patience to stick with it. So now the Redskins know their line can elevate its play when it has to and the secondary can hold its own when necessary. If Washington has to blitz, it can do that, as well.

As Williams said after the game, "When you have a defensive line playing like we did, why change things up? You usually blitz to disrupt an offense, but we were able to do that with our front four."

The Redskins actually have so much talent that Williams now has multiple options to throw at opponents. The combination of safeties Sean Taylor and rookie LaRon Landry gives the Redskins two vicious hitters who can intimidate receivers downfield. The fact that second-year outside linebacker Rocky McIntosh has a better grasp of pass defense means Williams can afford to blitz fellow outside linebacker Marcus Washington more frequently. Plus, the offseason signing of middle linebacker London Fletcher gives the defense a reliable tackler who can ensure that younger players are in the right positions.

Give a good defensive coordinator those kinds of weapons, and he'll make life extremely hard on opponents. Throw in an offense that is controlling the clock like the Redskins did Sunday -- they held the ball for a little more than 34 minutes -- and you have a serious postseason contender.

The Redskins aren't saying as much, but they have to know what the competition in the weak NFC looks like right now. Aside from Dallas and Green Bay, nobody else looks impressive. And that means there is plenty of room for a team such as Washington, which fell to 5-11 after making the postseason in 2005, to ascend.

That might explain why players such as Fletcher were running 100-yard sprints at the end of practice during last weekend's bye instead of resting up for the remainder of the season. It also might be the reason for the sustained confidence on the Redskins sideline despite a rash of health concerns on Sunday -- they opened the contest without wide receiver Santana Moss, then watched wide receiver Antwaan Randle El and defensive end Phillip Daniels leave with injuries.

Even as the Skins look ahead to more challenging games against Green Bay, Arizona and New England in the next three weeks, there's a vibe among them that suggests they can't wait to see how good they can be.

(click link for full article)

i get the feeling that the skins have a fan on espn.com in chadiha. i swear every article he writes that includes the redskins puts them in a positive light. i might be wrong, somebody correct me if i am, but i remember at least a few articles where he loved on the redskins. nice to have someone counter that fat whale, pasquarelli

I made a really stupid mistake that kept me locked away from my phone, my car keys, and my jersey for basically the whole first half about two hours before the game. Thankfully I only missed what Tripple X decided I ought to miss, including several defensive series and up to three minutes of some of our own drives.

Even so, what I am here to mention is what I noticed in the NFL.com highlights, something you don't hear on the radio (dont know about you or that highlight vid but I never heard larry call the INT TD, I got more than an hour of commercials and filler music after the "short break" at the 2 minute warning and never heard from them again. ) but anyway, I saw that Carlos crossed the goal line and then just set the ball down slightly beyond it. To me, that meant he too realised hell may have frozen over, it certainly wasn't the mark of a man who scores TDs all the time. Props to Carlos.

I made a really stupid mistake that kept me locked away from my phone, my car keys, and my jersey for basically the whole first half about two hours before the game. Thankfully I only missed what Tripple X decided I ought to miss, including several defensive series and up to three minutes of some of our own drives.

Even so, what I am here to mention is what I noticed in the NFL.com highlights, something you don't hear on the radio (dont know about you or that highlight vid but I never heard larry call the INT TD, I got more than an hour of commercials and filler music after the "short break" at the 2 minute warning and never heard from them again. ) but anyway, I saw that Carlos crossed the goal line and then just set the ball down slightly beyond it. To me, that meant he too realised hell may have frozen over, it certainly wasn't the mark of a man who scores TDs all the time. Props to Carlos.

i had that happen when i tried to listen in, too. i was on my computer, just switched over to sopcast after someone found the channel.

Archived