Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#45 Mike Sellers v. #44 John Riggins (Merged)

Hiro

Ok, amazing game today, gotta love the intensity our team displayed!

My buddy and I were discussing this after the game when we raving about how much of beast running the ball Mike Sellers, and I couldn't help but think of the footage I've seen of Riggo just trucking guys coming his way, and dragging them along as he ran. The more I see of Sellers, the more I get convinced that the guy is pretty much our modern day version of Riggins.

Yes I know he's not close to Riggins's level of production, considering Riggins was one of the alltime rushing leaders when he retired, plus Riggo's a Hall of Famer, but I think the way we're using Sellers is very similar to how we used Riggins as an absolute plow to soften defenses up for our lighting strike Clinton Portis (Joe Washington). The key difference here is that we have Ladell Betts, who is more of balance between Sellers and Portis, which gives us a nice rotation of running backs, and I don't remember us having a running back who was in the build of Betts during the time with Riggins and Washington.

The question I beg to ask is who is/was actually more effective when utilized as power back? Yes I know Riggins had power, and speed which was uncommon for a guy who was 6-2, 230. But Sellers is 6-3, 280, and is pretty dang fast for a guy his size, plus he's valuable as a receiving option. So who do you guys think at this point is/was the bigger beast running the ball:

Sellers or Riggins?

PH2006010100745.jpg279505.jpg

It is a fair comparison Sellers can plow through people like Riggo did, but Sellers has nowhere near Riggo's explosiveness and speed...but my favorite football player all time is Riggo so i am a little biased...but i love watching Sellers run and just annihilate people...awesome

Riggins was an every down back.

Sellers is an under-used weapon that needs to be exploited. I'm glad Al finally noticed his strengths. He can get short yardage, block the ***** out of a linebacker and be snuck out into a pass route under the right matchup. He is a baller. Now use him!!!

uh, lets not get out of hand. Sellers was a beast today, glad to see the coaches call his number more. BUT..........Riggins is the Diesel, was is and always will be.

Agreed.....this comparison of Sellers and Riggo is like planning the super bowl parade route after the win today. It's a little early to do that.

On that note, I wonder if someone is going to bring up the comparison on the Riggo show today...

Have Sellers carry the ball 25-30 more times a game without fumbling and scoring 1-2 TD's a game and then its a fair comparison.

BTW, I don't know where people get off saying that Sellers has better hands. He fumbles a lot for how much he touches the ball and Riggins had 250 receptions, mostly before Gibbs. Did Riggins fumble much? I don't remember it.

Have Sellers carry the ball 25-30 more times a game without fumbling and scoring 1-2 TD's a game and then its a fair comparison.

BTW, I don't know where people get off saying that Sellers has better hands. He fumbles a lot for how much he touches the ball and Riggins had 250 receptions, mostly before Gibbs. Did Riggins fumble much? I don't remember it.

Riggins was bad at catching the ball, this was one of the reasons the H-back was created

Archived