Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Views from a "naysayer" pt. 2 (long)

skinsn24

Reason for the thread title is that I am thought of as a naysayer or negative, but I don’t believe I have ever said “fire the coach” or “we are done” or “the redskins bloody suck ect ect” I do crititize often but I feel I give rational for why. Onto the post:

After week 2 I posted my views on the team and got some pretty good responses. IF you want to know how I felt back then or what I had to say, search “views from a naysayer.”

I did not post after week 3 as I was too upset with the loss to even put it into words. However I will post my updated thoughts now.

The team we played was the Lions. A 3-1 team who coming into the game seemed to have no defense to speak of but a pretty high powered offense. Kitna was leading the league in sacks but the team could put up points. This was a team that got thrashed by the eagles but beat the bears. I don’t view the Lions as a very good opponent, but they are certainly not a horrible team either.

Onto the game:

Offense:

Overall a very nice game, against a poor D though. But I wont take much away from our team.

JC- on fire. Really showed that he is a playmaker and can make all the throws. The throws to ARE in the first half were all in stride leaving lots of room for YAC. He had an extremely quick release allowing screen plays to work and almost every ball was on the money. My favorite part was you could see him reading his progessions and his 2 throws to thrash (both out of bounds) were actually perfect balls to split the zone. 29 passes only 6 incomplete. His feet were the difference on a td and on a 2 pointer. I love it.

ARE-I cannot say enough about this guy. The way he was playing reminded me of Moss in 05. Running the same type of routes, making guys miss, and lots of YAC. His routes were crisp and he was diving for the sticks whenever he could. Him getting hurt really seemed to slow down our offense in the second half. He needs to be ok. It was obvious that he was JC’s first option the entire first half, they seemed in perfect rhythm. 7 catches 100 yards at the half.

Portis/Betts-Both ran well, but Portis is CLEARY more effective. I thought Clinton was going to break 1 or 2 for 50+ and house them. However, it seems like he is about to fall down all the time (like a stumbling run) and this seems to keep him from breaking it big. Does anyone else notice this? It really looks like he is ready to fall over. That said he was running well. His fumbling seems to be a problem, I view it as a problem from not practicing. He needs to get in some fumble drills.

Sellers-WOW. The coaching staff has finally utilized this incredible football player. If you watched the game you know what he did. Simply Great. The staff finally utilized him in all facets of the game.

Other WRS- It was interesting how McCardel comes in and plays right away and makes a bunch of catches. It shows you how much Gibbs trusts vets over less experienced players. He seems to be the perfect possession WR we have been without. 2 big first down catches. He wont get YAC but he is the possession guy. I like it a lot. Blloyd, nice catch and made a move afterwards, hey its something positive. I would love a healthy Moss/ARE with McCardell for possession, really takes the pressure off of Cooley.

Thrash-Pretty good game from James. Big return, which I always like (hold the ball) and actually was decent out there as a WR. Good game James.

Oline-Very nice game. It seemed to me that Wade was holding on everyplay but never called. I thought he got a little lucky, but besides that a really good game on the OL.

Offsensive Play calling- This was my favorite part of the game. We finally used all of our weapons and had the Lions off balance all day. Ports direct snap-I like it, it lets portis set up his blocks and get a running start, I can see us running that more and more and then set up a portis TD pass. Its like McFadden.

I like the large amount of throwing especially in the first half with ARE. We threw WR screens which worked well (not surprised) and this allowed us to run deep routes as well.

The use of Sellers was great. 3rd and short-sellers, 3rd and short-sellers, 3rd and short-fake to sellers, pitch to portis.—Great. Also the play with portis as the lead and Sellers as the tail, gotta love it.

Defense

Dline-Best game in a Loong time for the Dline. Carter was a beast, pure beast. Daniels was great, Griffin was big as well. I love that we ran stunts on the DL and got creative upfront. It worked very well. The fact that we only had to rush 4 is what let the secondary play so well. Ive said it before and ill say it again, if you can rush 4 and get pressure you are going to play great D, it is just going to happen. Golston not active, prob says something about his play compared to the others, I am not surprised though as I never thought Golston was that good.

That said, the Lions have a horrible OL. I really hope we can use this game to gain confidence on the DL and go out and dominate in the future.

LBS-Rocky Rocky Rocky. The kid is a real playmaker. MWash needs to be healthy, time will tell if his hammy is ok.

Seconday-22 made a pick 6. Confidence Booster. If he plays like that on a consistant basis, we will have a real corner in number 22, i am not ready say we do after 1 game, but if he plays consistant, i will jump on board. The secondary was hitting people and not allowing any YAC. That’s whats so good. Also only 1 play (early in the game) did any WR get deep on us (Furrey over ST) but the ball was over thrown. After that it was lock down all day.

ST-Great game all around. Earned his keep today, granted the INT was thrown right at him, but he made the catch, and his blocking on special teams was great. Played like a true probowler.

Defensive Coaching-Greg seemed to know what he was doing today, because the D was on point. A 4 man rush that gets pressure makes that pretty easy. Keep up the pressure GW and we will have a great season.

Special Teams-

Trash was money as was that return.

Kicker-SS, question mark? I don’t know but he has missed 2 45+ in the last 2 weeks, I am not sold.

Final thoughts-

A win always feels good, especially a very solid win like today. I like to keep things in perspective and note that there are many games left that need to be won, but be happy today because all skins fans should be happy.

It really seemed that JG changed his offensive philosophy or let Saunders do it or whatever, the team was different, everyone could see it. I had a feeling this might happen after hearing how pissed Gibbs was in the days leading up to the game, hopefully the fire is back and stays back.

There really was nothing negative about today’s game besides the fumbles and a bunch of times I thought we did things that were like shooting ourselves in the foot. However we made up for them.

Some of what I noticed was, the botched direct snap on the first drive, fumbling snaps, calling qb sneaks on 3rd and 2, untimely penalty on the OL, ect.

These are the things that make the difference between an average or good team or a good or great team.

We have to hold onto the ball.

Other than that. Great game.

I would love to discuss any of these points more indetail, let the debate begin.

HTTR

:point2sky

Now that we played well for the most part of the year. I sense alot of "naysayers" will be back-pedalling from all the BS they moaned about this offseason and they all know who they are.

Good job Skinsn24 you are the :1stplace: naysayer to back pedal. That takes guts to be able to point out the positive things the Skins did today ;)

Those last few points were good about drives being killed. We need to cut down on the dumb mistakes.

I'm not as concerned about CP and his fumbling. The guy doesn't normally fumble. Against the Giants it was a bad handoff/delivery, today it was a helmet to the ball. Not a big concern unless it keeps happening.

Your title was a bit misleading Your game review matches mine and I would say most of the boards.

Sellers was terrific though you seem to fault the coaching staff for not unleashing the beast earlier. I don't agree Mike had a GREAT game but to expect that out of him all the time is unlikely. He is a Role player he got to excel due to great game planning by the vary staff you take a shot at.

I thought the offensive game plan was EXCELLENT.

Now that we played well for the most part of the year. I sense alot of "naysayers" will be back-pedalling from all the BS they moaned about this offseason and they all know who they are.

Good job Skinsn24 you are the :1stplace: naysayer to back pedal. That takes guts to be able to point out the positive things the Skins did today ;)

No back peddling and no BS ever said. Go read my post after week 2. It pretty much was just like this and warned about a loss to the Gmen.

Never posted any BS, i comment on what i see. IN the past i have seen bad play and i call it bad play, when i see good play, i call it good, play. Very simple.

this game was definatley a step in the right direction. i knew the defense could play like this, but the offense? utilizing talent? i haven't seen that since spurrier. the only thing the offense could work on is the ability to make explosive plays that go for TDs. but if we can keep up the ability to go long drives and score touchdowns, i can't really ask for much more.

we pussifooted a little bit before the end of the half but i guess i'll let that slide. :cheers:

Your title was a bit misleading Your game review matches mine and I would say most of the boards.

Sellers was terrific though you seem to fault the coaching staff for not unleashing the beast earlier. I don't agree Mike had a GREAT game but to expect that out of him all the time is unlikely. He is a Role player he got to excel due to great game planning by the vary staff you take a shot at.

I thought the offensive game plan was EXCELLENT.

BK,

The title is only misleading because people on here love to call me a cowpuke, negative nancy, or naysayer.

I loved the gameplan as well. Your points about big mike being a role player are interesting. He will never be a focal point, but i think he has lots of tools and should be used every game.

I see a probowl in his future if he keeps it up.

we pussifooted a little bit before the end of the half but i guess i'll let that slide. :cheers:

I am usually all for going for it at the end of the half but 80 yards with 1:15 is though.

We ran the ball to force detriot to take TOs. Giving them the ball with 15 seconds left is alot different than with 1 minute.

If we had gotten a first down i bet we would have started passing it around, but we didnt.

No back peddling and no BS ever said. Go read my post after week 2. It pretty much was just like this and warned about a loss to the Gmen.

Never posted any BS, i comment on what i see. IN the past i have seen bad play and i call it bad play, when i see good play, i call it good, play. Very simple.

:cheers: Maybe you should think about being a play by play commentator :jk:

Based on what I read from you this offseason you have made a total 360 :cheers:

The mods over at ATN have really :whippin: you into a decent fan :applause:

BK,

The title is only misleading because people on here love to call me a cowpuke, negative nancy, or naysayer.

I loved the gameplan as well. Your points about big mike being a role player are interesting. He will never be a focal point, but i think he has lots of tools and should be used every game.

I see a probowl in his future if he keeps it up.

Man, we can only judge you by your posts...

The problem with this thread is that you now probably think you have license to trash the Skins the next time they falter.

Right?

;)

:cheers: Maybe you should think about being a play by play commentator :jk:

Based on what I read from you this offseason you have made a total 360 :cheers:

The mods over at ATN have really :whippin: you into a decent fan :applause:

Please do not hijack this thread, lets discuss the points i have listed. But i will say the mods have done nothing, go look after week 2. Stop being naive. I have always said, i call it like i see it. Today we saw lots of good, now lets discuss football.

The problem with this thread is that you now probably think you have license to trash the Skins the next time they falter.

Right?

;)

I dont need a pass to critisize bad play, just like i dont need a pass to celebrate good play.

Can we talk about the points made and not me???

Its amazing i post something postiive, because what i say is true, and you still cannot discuss football.

Lets talk football in this threade, please.

Right?

;)

He defends Cowboys in ATN on the regular and talks like a "true fan" in the Stadium. It almost seems hard for him to post anything positive w/o following it up w/ something negative regarding the Skins.

This thread just proves that he has some insecurities about how he is precieved here at ES. I guess we can give him credit for trying to rebuild our perception of him :)

He defends Cowboys in ATN on the regular and talks like a "true fan" in the Stadium. It almost seems hard for him to post anything positive w/o following it up w/ something negative regarding the Skins.

I'm gonna leave this thread now...

Somebody did a do-do in the play box...

Jesus, can you even talk football. I wrote a 3 page analysis of the team and you have to hijack the thread.

This is not the ATN, no name calling here. Please discuss football.

I said i liked our play calling, especially with sellers, did you enjoy how he was used?

I call fake. I can't take any positive comments after a win seriously from a guy who consistently bashes the team. You want some credit, don't wait until we blow somebody out to be positive. A weak post and it earns you zero points.

It would be nice to actually talk football here. Dont wait untill we blow someone out? Ok. Go read the first post i made after week 2.

Please show me where i bash the team?

I dont need points, i want to discuss football.

Archived