Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We aren't the only ones who notice dropped passes...

SKINZ33

I think everyone noticed the uncommonly high number of drops, and I'd be ready to join in the debate of, "is it the WRs, or Jason, or the placement..." expect just about every team I have watched with two or three notable expections have seemed to have recievers letting balls sail through their hands, bounce off their chests, or just grab-and-drop.

Before you ask; no I don't have any data, and no I have not studied game tape, it's just a general observation I have made.

Has the NFL changed balls or something?

I think everyone noticed the uncommonly high number of drops, and I'd be ready to join in the debate of, "is it the WRs, or Jason, or the placement..." expect just about every team I have watched with two or three notable expections have seemed to have recievers letting balls sail through their hands, bounce off their chests, or just grab-and-drop.

Before you ask; no I don't have any data, and no I have not studied game tape, it's just a general observation I have made.

Has the NFL changed balls or something?

It's not just you. I was thinking the same thing. Actually I was surprised our own number of "drops" was only 9.

Jason's game right now is reminiscent of Doug Williams' game when he began playing for Tampa Bay. JC has more weapons and a better O-Line than Doug had and doesn't have to run as much.

But as for accuracy, I wish he would begin to approach Ken Anderson completion % numbers, Rypien's long ball accuracy and who would you suggest for clock/game management skills? Please do not say Peyton or Brady. They very seldom have to do either of these things. Suggest a qb who has to play to keep a small lead or come from behind with time running out and is successful at it.

Anderson was one of the all-time greats at accuracy, and it's a little optimistic to think Jason will improve his mid range passes that much. He has a very good long ball, and he will develope touch at the short stuff, but according to Charley Caserly that scary high accuracy is something guys just have or don't.

there is no such thing as throwing too hard of a pass

That's not true. When a big RB and TE is only like 5 yards away, you don't throw a bullet to them. Favre, Elway, Marino, etc. don't do this. They throw them an easy pass, because of the close proximity and because they are RBs and TEs that don't have the quick reflexes like a WR does.

That's not true. When a big RB and TE is only like 5 yards away, you don't throw a bullet to them. Favre, Elway, Marino, etc. don't do this. They throw them an easy pass, because of the close proximity and because they are RBs and TEs that don't have the quick reflexes like a WR does.

While your point is valid, if you're an NFL receiver, rb te etc you're expected to make those catches. If it hits you in the hands it should not touch the ground. While I do see the point of JC throwing too hard at times, I cannot believe that all of a sudden he throws TOO hard for the NFL.

Moss has dropped 16% of the passes thrown at him?! This is really out of character for him, and he and Campbell really need to try and work on this, because there is no way that we can win on a consistent basis if this trend continues.

Ok, I think you guys are going to be disappointed in expecting perfection.

16%? what's that, like 1.5 dropped out of 10?

84% caught?

They are human you know.

1.6 out of 10 ;)...

haha

people drop balls, it happens to every team. We just got to work on it so that it rarely happens... I think you can practice all you want but once it's game time the speed and intensity is different. I think it's going to take a couple games for everyone to be on the same page...

If the ball makes it to your fingers, you have to catch it. There's no excuse.

This is interesting as well as the stat "catchable balls". I know the saying, if u touch it, you catch it.

But is that really true? I would love to know what makes a drop ball in this statistical breakdown.

For example on a deep pass that is overthrown, if the WR lays out and gets a finger or 2 on it but cant bring it, (if he did i would be an amazing catch) is that a dropped ball? I wonder if this guy counts them as dropps or bad passes.

Another is when the ball is thrown well behind the wr on a crossing route, slant, or in. I am not excusing all of moss' dropps but there is at least one where he ran a perfect square in and the ball is throw behind his back shoulder. He actully has to stop moving, jump, freeze in the air, and reach backwards to get his hands on it. He does get his hand on it but cant bring it in. If he is hit in stride, its a 20-30 yard gain, is that a drop?

This is interesting as well as the stat "catchable balls". I know the saying, if u touch it, you catch it.

But is that really true? I would love to know what makes a drop ball in this statistical breakdown.

For example on a deep pass that is overthrown, if the WR lays out and gets a finger or 2 on it but cant bring it, (if he did i would be an amazing catch) is that a dropped ball? I wonder if this guy counts them as dropps or bad passes.

Another is when the ball is thrown well behind the wr on a crossing route, slant, or in. I am not excusing all of moss' dropps but there is at least one where he ran a perfect square in and the ball is throw behind his back shoulder. He actully has to stop moving, jump, freeze in the air, and reach backwards to get his hands on it. He does get his hand on it but cant bring it in. If he is hit in stride, its a 20-30 yard gain, is that a drop?

You bring up good points. It is hard to quantify what is "catchable". However I would surmise that, like a strike zone in baseball, there is a certain box or area where an NFL receiver should have an above average chance of pulling the pass in. Obviously a diving catch where at full extension the ball just hits the fingertips shouldn't be viewed as "he really should have caught that". But a ball that is within reach without having to dive or do any spectacular acrobatics should most likely be caught, whether it is a little behind, a little ahead, or a little high.

Sometimes I wonder if that old saying was made up by a receiver. A receiver like Moss. Or Cooley. Guys who you just know believe that saying. However, it is an interesting question about what is judged as a dropped ball.

IN the Miami game there were a couple of balls to moss that he definitely should have had. There is no reason to drop the easy ones. I know that not all the balls were dropped were easy but there was one in the miami game that would have been a big play and moss dropped that one.

Archived