Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We aren't the only ones who notice dropped passes...


SKINZ33

Recommended Posts

http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/687001.html

Apparently we were somewhat in the right to be a little upset about some of the dropped passes that have occured in the first three games. While I don't (hope) think this will continue to be a trend, at least we know that some of the concerns are warranted. Granted Campbell thows a few highballs here and there, but our WR's have also let some "gimmees" slip through their hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't tell you how angered I was at some of the passes that Moss had dropped. I was furious at Campbell as well for throwing too hard of a pass, but I there is NO REASON why our receivers are dropping some of the balls they did.... Let's just hope it doesn't happen this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

one thing is that I find myself complaining about the play calling. After I calm down and watch the game again and factor in the dropped passes I realized that those, like holding calls, are DRIVE KILLERS. If we held on to some of those balls, we would've scored more points (DUH). It's not so much the play calling as the execution. Also, we drop potential INT's all the time. It's like they tell you in Pop Warner football - IF YOU TOUCH IT, YOU CATCH IT!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest DC_FEELS_ME
I can't tell you how angered I was at some of the passes that Moss had dropped. I was furious at Campbell as well for throwing too hard of a pass, but I there is NO REASON why our receivers are dropping some of the balls they did.... Let's just hope it doesn't happen this week.

there is no such thing as throwing too hard of a pass

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh but to some people around here " ITS JC'S FAULT". " JC NEEDS TO BE MORE ACCURATE" Shut the **** up!

Like said before I think people want JC to fail.

Regardless of the situation, JC needs to be more accurate. I like him and want him to succeed. But he needs to be more accurate. I won't shut the **** up. His receivers need to catch more balls too. And the coaching staff needs to open up the playbook some. But I won't shut the **** up, because JC still needs to be more accurate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh but to some people around here " ITS JC'S FAULT". " JC NEEDS TO BE MORE ACCURATE" Shut the **** up!

Like said before I think people want JC to fail.

If you care to pay attention, you will see that JC does need to work on his accuracy. Dropped balls are not his fault, but throwing the ball fifteen feet above his receiver or ten yards long or wide of his receiver are reflections on his accuracy.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you care to pay attention, you will see that JC does need to work on his accuracy. Dropped balls are not his fault, but throwing the ball fifteen feet above his receiver or ten yards long or wide of his receiver are reflections on his accuracy.

Important point.

Based on Ed Thompson's numbers, Campbell had 9 drops in 3 games. Looking at JC's seasonal stats, 44 comp/84 attempts, that's where you get his current 52.4 completion percentage.

Now, for the sake of argument, let's assume his 9 drops were catches (as he calls "Catchable" balls = completions + drops). That'd improve his numbers to 53 of 84, or 63.1% completions. By deduction, those 31 remaining non-catches (or 36.9%) must be the "Un-Catchable" throws.

Sure some are throwaways, tips or knockdowns, but that number is still very telling IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Important point.

Based on Ed Thompson's numbers, Campbell had 9 drops in 3 games. Looking at JC's seasonal stats, 44 comp/84 attempts, that's where you get his current 52.4 completion percentage.

Now, for the sake of argument, let's assume his 9 drops were catches (as he calls "Catchable" balls = completions + drops). That'd improve his numbers to 53 of 84, or 63.1% completions. By deduction, those 31 remaining non-catches (or 36.9%) must be the "Un-Catchable" throws.

Sure some are throwaways, tips or knockdowns, but that number is still very telling IMO.

Fair point. Though those 31 remaining incompletions could be many things, as you said. I'm not saying he doesn't have accuracy issues sometimes; he does. However, some people harp on his comp % and how it needs to be 60% or over. Well 63.1% ain't too shabby, so if those balls had been caught he would be in pretty decent company in the NFL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a two way street. Dropped passes are horrible and are bad for team unity and smooth drives. Inaccurate passes are a problem because the WRs start to expect inaccuracy and seem to give less effort. That is one reason Moss is excelling in NE, he is reaping the rewards for a better passing game. Both are at fault but drops are inexcusable.

I think Moss will start to focus again once he returns from his injury and I like JC. I think he is improving week in and week out but I would like for the coaches to stop babying him and just let him play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't JC trying to get together with Moss and some of the other WR's in the offseason to work on timing, location etc? Did they ever do that? I applaude JC for trying to get on the same page as his WR's. Hopefully he can continue to work on some of the accuracy issues and our WR's can concentrate more on the ball.

These are some of the growing pains that we must face with a young QB, despite some of the kool-aid sipping thats been going on. I think we should start to see ample improvement after week 8, by then he will have played a full season worth as the starter (dating back to last year). I'd start to worry if he levels out but I'm not anticipating that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a two way street. Dropped passes are horrible and are bad for team unity and smooth drives. Inaccurate passes are a problem because the WRs start to expect inaccuracy and seem to give less effort. That is one reason Moss is excelling in NE, he is reaping the rewards for a better passing game. Both are at fault but drops are inexcusable.

I think Moss will start to focus again once he returns from his injury and I like JC. I think he is improving week in and week out but I would like for the coaches to stop babying him and just let him play.

I agree about the two-way street part. Any combination of passes that are not caught could be the one that kills an important, game-changing drive.

But I'm not sure you can say the coaches are babying him and not letting him play. We really don't know how well he's grasping the offense, other than by the numbers put up. Opening up the offense could have results you'd expect when handing the Corvette keys to a teenager. To this point, they've been relatively mistake-free in terms of INTs. I'd rather not see opposing defenses running back more picks against us (which could happen if JC's allowed more freedom).

And I'm not totally convinced that the changes to our offensive line aren't playing a part in which plays we run. It goes to figure with new players on the line, it's going to take them some time to adjust. Just ask Winston Justice of the Eagles how he feels about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jason's game right now is reminiscent of Doug Williams' game when he began playing for Tampa Bay. JC has more weapons and a better O-Line than Doug had and doesn't have to run as much.

But as for accuracy, I wish he would begin to approach Ken Anderson completion % numbers, Rypien's long ball accuracy and who would you suggest for clock/game management skills? Please do not say Peyton or Brady. They very seldom have to do either of these things. Suggest a qb who has to play to keep a small lead or come from behind with time running out and is successful at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

J...

But as for accuracy, I wish he would begin to approach Ken Anderson completion % numbers, Rypien's long ball accuracy and who would you suggest for clock/game management skills? Please do not say Peyton or Brady. They very seldom have to do either of these things. Suggest a qb who has to play to keep a small lead or come from behind with time running out and is successful at it.

Garcia or Delhomme?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...