Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting to dread the rest of the season in Seahawks country

SeattleSkinsFan

So the Seahawks have quietly gotten to 3-1. Should've been 2-2; thanks a lot, Bungles.

I decided to take a look at their remaining schedule yesterday, and threw up a little bit in my mouth. My guess is, they go 11-5 for the season just by showing up, and clinch the NFC West easily.

I expect the Steelers to take care of them this weekend in Pittsburgh, but after that, they have back-to-back home games against who? The Saints and the Rams. :doh:

Their schedule for the rest of the season:

Week 5 - @ Steelers (Loss; Steelers recover from losing to AZ)

Week 6 - Saints (Easy win)

Week 7 - Rams (Ditto)

Week 8 - [bye]

Week 9 - @ Browns (Loss; Browns represent)

Week 10 - 49ers (Win; SF survives until halftime, then folds)

Week 11 - Bears (Win; Bears implosion is well underway at this point)

Week 12 - @ Rams (Win)

Week 13 - @ Eagles (Loss; Eagles find a way, and gut out a close one)

Week 14 - Cardinals (Win)

Week 15 - @ Panthers (Win)

Week 16 - Ravens (Loss; Seahags relax & Ravens make them pay)

Week 17 - @ Atlanta (Win)

So the Seahawks, while not as good as two years ago, roll into the playoffs with a big assist from an easy schedule (like two years ago). I'd really hoped that someone else in the NFC West would step up this year and challenge them, but so far I haven't seen any consistency out of the Cards or 49ers (hence, each team's 2-2 record).

Meanwhile, back in the NFC East, everyone is going to work on everyone else with baseball bats full of rusty nails.

Soon, the Seattle bandwagoneers will be out in larger numbers, not knowing or caring how lucky they are to play in the NFC West, and I will have to listen to it.

Sour grapes? You bet. :mad:

I don't have any of the Seattle hate popular on ES. I occasionally can muster up some good will towards them as the "local boyz." Contrary to many comments I've read on here, I have found their fan base to be just fine, generally, compared to the several others I have come to know fairly well.

They're sure not my "second team." I don't believe in "second teams."

But I call 'em like I see 'em, and these guys regularly get under-rated on ES and east of the rockies. I've already posted on ES it's happening again this year. They are still a legit NFC contenter at this point. Peterson was their big score of the off-season.

The locals are starting to get fed up with Alexander's running style, however. They're buying into the "runs 'soft' when things are hard" theme which surprises me. I thought the denial would be stronger.

BTW, please don't respond to this post with a comment about their "soft" schedule like I need to be exposed to that "new idea". Thanks. :)

I don't have any of the Seattle hate popular on ES. I occasionally can muster up some good will towards them as the "local boyz." Contrary to many comments I've read on here, I have found their fan base to be just fine, generally, compared to the several others I have come to know fairly well.

They're sure not my "second team." I don't believe in "second teams."

But I call 'em like I see 'em, and these guys regularly get under-rated on ES and east of the rockies. I've already posted on ES it's happening again this year. They are still a legit NFC contenter at this point. Peterson was their big score of the off-season.

The locals are starting to get fed up with Alexander's running style, however. They're buying into the "runs 'soft' when things are hard" theme which surprises me. I thought the denial would be stronger.

BTW, please don't respond to this post with a comment about their "soft" schedule like I need to be exposed to that "new idea". Thanks. :)

Couple points only. Julian Peterson was on the team last year. Their big acquistion was the DE from Atltanta (spacing on his name).

Also, the locals have baught into the running soft argument with Alexander for some time. He has taken heat from the local media and fans for this over most of his career. And the truth is that most in Seattle have realized it for years. IMO he has benefitted from Emmit Smith syndrome. The guy was amazing with Hutchison, Walter Jones, etc. plowing the way. As the line has deteriorated so has his production.

Other than that I completely agree with you. Seattle is for real. Its a good defense and they have steady if not great QB play. They are also well coached.

Oh ya, you should also be aware that they have a soft schedule. ;)

Feel like I was on a one-year brain lag in how I wrote that Whiskey, but I hadn't noticed the buy-in so much in the local media until this year. Seems to me they just started getting criticial last year and have really ramped it up. But my take is just in passing. The Peterson thing was a brain-fart. :doh: Watching him tear up SF was fresh in my thoughts and I was thinking of how much they miss him.

Didn't know about the schedule, though. :)

And just for the record, so that no one puts words in my mouth, I didn't say that the Seahawks aren't good. They're just not as good as their eventual record will likely present them as being.

I sure wasn't doing that SSF, just for the record. :):cheers:

Mein gott id pay money for the Skins to have a schedule like that. :doh:
And that's why I picked them to make the super bowl out of the NFC. For 6 of the last 8 years (nice job Eagles), the #1 seed in the NFC has advanced to the Super Bowl. With that schedule, they can get the #1 seed and get there.

Meh who cares. They won't win in the playoffs.
:applause: agreed.

Don't know why you're that sure. :) The Bears, Saints, Panthers all look weaker this year than before. So they don't look like some atomatic seahawk-eating machine. Dallas looks better.

Seahawk play-off record is 6W 9L which isn't good, but it's not a slam-dunk that they loose.

OK, that's all the giving-the-hawks credit I have in me :laugh:

Don't know why you're that sure. :) The Bears, Saints, Panthers all look weaker this year than before. So they don't look like some atomatic seahawk-eating machine. Dallas looks better.

Seahawk play-off record is 6W 9L which isn't good, but it's not a slam-dunk that they loose.

OK, that's all the giving-the-hawks credit I have in me :laugh:

Ok they might win some playoff games, but only at home. They need their crowd noise.

Ok they might win some playoff games, but only at home. They need their crowd noise.

I definitely agree with this. Qwest Field was ridiculously loud when we played them in the 2005 playoffs, and no, I don't think any of the crowd noise was piped in. It's just a loud stadium, thanks in part to the architecture.

That's part of what was so frustrating about the Seahawks that year -- they went 13-3 against the weakest schedule in the league that year (statistical fact), which got them the #1 seed, which got them a first-round bye and homefield throughout the playoffs, which was probably the deciding factor in getting them to the Super Bowl.

Now, I can't fault the Seahawks for any of this, because they didn't make the schedule, and it wasn't their fault that the other three teams in their division stunk. They took care of their business like they should have. It was just frustrating to see one team have it so cushy, while other, more harshly-tested teams were scrapping to get into the postseason.

I know, that's in the past, let it go. But I look at their schedule for this year and think, "Oh, here we go again."

The difference this season is, the Seahawks aren't quite as good, and the 49ers and Cards aren't quite as bad.

Archived