Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Profootballweekly.com on Greg Ellis

doncherry

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+East/Dallas/Spins/2007/spin100107.htm

Ellis' return gives Cowboys more options on defense

By PFW staff

Oct. 1, 2007

Cowboys OLB Greg Ellis, who had missed the first three games this season while rehabbing the torn Achilles tendon he suffered last season, made his debut on Sunday, registering 1 1/2 sacks in the Cowboys' win over the Rams. On Saturday, Ellis and Jerry Jones agreed on a reworked contract that included some tricky insurance language that had to be worked out before 3 p.m. that day. It was, and it appears that both sides are happy.

The PFW spin

Getting the 32-year-old Ellis back clearly upgrades the team’s pass rush, which had been good, not great, during the team’s defensive swoon. However, the Cowboys have allowed only 30 points in the past three games, causing Trent Green, Rex Grossman and Marc Bulger to have bad games. Ellis was in on passing situations against the Rans, and though he’s not 100 percent healthy yet, it appears this role suits him well.

Rookie Anthony Spencer should continue to start and get plenty of reps. Though he has not been outstanding, you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who was disappointed with Spencer’s transformation from college down lineman to pro stand-up ’backer. Ellis’ arrival only should help that transformation. He, too, had to make the move, albeit later in his career — just before last season.

As far as the contract stuff goes, this makes this Cowboys’ longest-tenured player a happier guy. And given that the team chemistry might be the best it has been since Bill Parcells’ first season — or even before that — there’s no reason to make a respected veteran unhappy. After a summer of trade demands and contract squabbles, that Ellis appears gone — replaced by a much more content version.

Now, the team has three legit pass-rush threats — four if you count Kevin Burnett — another situational guy. DeMarcus Ware is really starting to pick it up, making his impact felt in each of the past two games especially well. He appears to be untrammeled now, whereas he looked tentative in the first two contests and before that in the preseason. Spencer can get to the edge, and Ellis is one of the best “effort” guys on the team.

Our fantasy take

As an IDP, Ellis has little value. But mark the Cowboys’ defense up just one more notch with him on the field. He's another toy for Wade Phillips and Brian Stewart to play with.

I think it's the same Trent Green who pushed the Skins to overtime a few weeks ago. I'll have to check. :whoknows:

Yep! Thats him alright. Thats also the same Trent Green that gave you five... count'em 5 gimmie turnovers, and up to that point, looked good enough to keep the game close and have Cowboys fans sweating bullets.

Probably the same way you sweat bullets up until halftime against the lowly Rams. But whos counting...

Yep! Thats him alright. Thats also the same Trent Green that gave you five... count'em 5 gimmie turnovers, and up to that point, looked good enough to keep the game close and have Cowboys fans sweating bullets.

Probably the same way you sweat bullets up until halftime against the lowly Rams. But whos counting...

But, what about a Bear's defense that were pretty banged up in the secondary?!?

But, what about a Bear's defense that were pretty banged up in the secondary?!?

You mean the team that just benched its pathetic quarterback? That team that has no running game...that team who couldn't beat the friggin' Lions last week?

I think it's the same Trent Green who pushed the Skins to overtime a few weeks ago. I'll have to check. :whoknows:

Let's compare game logs, shall we?

vs Wash 38 attempts 24 completions 219 yards 1 TD and and average competion of 5.8 yards

vs the pukes : 40 attempts 23 completions 287 yards 2 TD's and an average completion of 7.2 yards

The difference was that he threw some gawdawful passes against you. I mean Manning tore your secondary up. You wanna compare his stats in both our games?

Let's compare game logs, shall we?

vs Wash 38 attempts 24 completions 219 yards 1 TD and and average competion of 5.8 yards

vs the pukes : 40 attempts 23 completions 287 yards 2 TD's and an average completion of 7.2 yards

The difference was that he threw some gawdawful passes against you. I mean Manning tore your secondary up. You wanna compare his stats in both our games?

So, both QBs played worse against Washington? yet, the Giants won with a QB playing worse... and miami pushed that game into over time... with both QBs playing worse...

But, against Dallas, both games were over going into the 4th quarter... with both QBs playing better... hmmmm

only two stats count... Wins and Losses...

So, both QBs played worse against Washington? yet, the Giants won with a QB playing worse... and miami pushed that game into over time... with both QBs playing worse...

But, against Dallas, both games were over going into the 4th quarter... with both QBs playing better... hmmmm

Hmm... maybe it's coaching and execution? I will admit that your OC gameplanning like a genuis and your team has been excuting it to almost perfection right about now. However, you guys always start out slow. I wonder why? I think it is because teams always get injured against you guys in the first half?

This forces the other team to alter their game plans and it's a real pain in the ass.

Maybe if you think about it a little harder you'll figure it out. Keep trying!

Btw, the Giants-Dallas game was far from over going into the 4th. Did you even watch that game?

Hmm... maybe it's coaching and execution? I will admit that your OC gameplanning like a genuis and your team has been excuting it to almost perfection right about now. However, you guys always start out slow. I wonder why? I think it is because teams always get injured against you guys in the first half?

This forces the other team to alter their game plans and it's a real pain in the ass.

the fact that every team has had players knocked out I'll have to attribute partly to that big OL knocking people around...

I won't deny that injuries have helped Dallas... but, Dallas has had their own injuries, too... Newman, Glenn, Ferguson, Ellis, Carpenter, Keith Davis, Patrick Crayton, Burnett... that's a pretty big list of injuries, yet, Dallas has over come them...

BTW coaching and execution are a large part of the game, I would think... calling the right plays at the right time... the team executing those plays the way they are suppse to...

Maybe if you think about it a little harder you'll figure it out. Keep trying!

Btw, the Giants-Dallas game was far from over going into the 4th. Did you even watch that game?

The game was 31-22 going into the 4th quarter... the Giants did claw their way back into the game, but as you very well know the Giants have some offensive weapons and Eli is playing pretty well so far this year... as much as I hate to admit it, they aren't anything to sneeze at this year... playing much better than I ever anticipated... but, Dallas aggresive play put that game away...

Thats is why games are 60 minutes long and only the final score counts............

But getting back to Ellis I think you will see a big improvement with the Dallas D, he brings a big threat with his pass rushing skills

Thats is why games are 60 minutes long and only the final score counts............

But getting back to Ellis I think you will see a big improvement with the Dallas D, he brings a big threat with his pass rushing skills

you mean like the Monday night game in 2005, and the poke/skins game in DC last year :D

poke fans sure didn't say that then

Archived