Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rockies VS Padres One game Playoff (Padres were robbed)

praise_gibbs

You never know, he may have gotten some fingers under his feet and got a tip of the corner...that was my first impression.

The main problem was the ump and his crappy angle and blatantly delayed call. He had been doing that sheet all night with strikeouts and called strikes. Sure, I wanted the Rockies to win but that would have been an out like 98% of the time. But even if it was, I felt like the Rockies had to much momentum at that point to lose.

There were no good camera angles, so it's impossible to really know ... his fingers could have possibly grazed home plate or they might have slid just past it. If the catcher had held his ground for a second longer before going after the ball, he would have been clearly out, but with his foot sliding back it was a tough call.

It looked like the ump really wasn't sure, then saw that Holliday was like knocked out, and decided, "man, I can't call a dead guy out in front of his home crowd," so he gave the safe sign.

You never know, he may have gotten some fingers under his feet and got a tip of the corner...that was my first impression.

The main problem was the ump and his crappy angle and blatantly delayed call. He had been doing that sheet all night with strikeouts and called strikes. Sure, I wanted the Rockies to win but that would have been an out like 98% of the time. But even if it was, I felt like the Rockies had to much momentum at that point to lose.

I agree completely. But, you can't just assume when you have no clue. I hate the fact that Umps do that. Way too much power they posses. Especially when what was at stake.

But, watch again on Sportscenter. The show a perfect view of him not gtoouching the plate. His fingers get barely underneath the catchers toes whom just so happen to be off teh plate. Then. Holiday's hand begins to fold backwards.

Never touching the plate. The game should have continued. The need instant reply and or challenges BADLY!

There were no good camera angles, so it's impossible to really know ... his fingers could have possibly grazed home plate or they might have slid just past it. If the catcher had held his ground for a second longer before going after the ball, he would have been clearly out, but with his foot sliding back it was a tough call.

It looked like the ump really wasn't sure, then saw that Holliday was like knocked out, and decided, "man, I can't call a dead guy out in front of his home crowd," so he gave the safe sign.

Watch again Tj. The will show multiple angles of the play at the plate. You can see it clearly that there is no way he touched the plate.

Watch again Tj. The will show multiple angles of the play at the plate. You can see it clearly that there is no way he touched the plate.
Yeah, you're probably right. Seeing it live it was a real close call, but he definitely didn't touch the plate. Holliday was dead though - it would have been real bad to have called him out there and then carried him off the field. :silly:

OMFG!

ESPN: "At the time of teh call, the stadium was rocking. It is far more imporant for the spontaneity of the game then getting a call like that right. The Rockies have not made the post season since 1993" (or 1995 whatever it is)

That was the statement if there should be a need for instant replay. You have GOT to be kidding me. It is more important for teh fans to celebrate a win that didn't happen yet then to get the call right? Un-****in-real!

So, because the Rockies sucked for so long.. they deserve a gift? Bull****!

OMFG!

ESPN: "At the time of teh call, the stadium was rocking. It is far more imporant for the spontaneity of the game then getting a call like that right. The Rockies have not made the post season since 1993" (or 1995 whatever it is)

That was the statement if there should be a need for instant replay. You have GOT to be kidding me. It is more important for teh fans to celebrate a win that didn't happen yet then to get the call right? Un-****in-real!

So, because the Rockies sucked for so long.. they deserve a gift? Bull****!

I heard that guy say that and just almost fell over. Saying that it isn't important to get the call right is one of the most incredibly outrageous things I've ever heard.

I heard that guy say that and just almost fell over. Saying that it isn't important to get the call right is one of the most incredibly outrageous things I've ever heard.

I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to show up and claim me Punk'd. :doh:

Like I said, I am happy that the Rockies got their win. But, I am pissed off the way they got it. If you ain't sure.. don't guess.

Spontaneity my ass. :doh:

If a runner steps on the first basemans foot running through the bag, and NEVER touches the bag itself, he's still safe.

Same rule applies. Barrett's foot was on the plate, therefor when Holliday toched his foot, he therefor also touched the plate.

Not to mention you cant block the plate without the ball.

Makes up for the HR that hit that wheelchair and bounced back in for a 2B.

Winner - lock the thread. They were robbed earlier, and this call (if incorrect, I'm really not convinced one way or the other) canceled that out.

Bottom line - Rockies went up against the best closer in MLB history (or one of the top 5) and rocked him - they deserved to win.

If a runner steps on the first basemans foot running through the bag, and NEVER touches the bag itself, he's still safe.

Same rule applies. Barrett's foot was on the plate, therefor when Holliday toched his foot, he therefor also touched the plate.

If a runner steps on a first baseman's foot on a force play, he can be ruled safe because of defensive interference. A fielders body isn't an extension of the bag.

I don't think he got in anyway.

The homerun that wasn't was the right call. It hit the top of the wall and the bracing behind it and popped up.

My understanding is if the batter-runner touches the basemans foot while the foot is atop the bag (i.e. he steps on top of the basemans foot where the base would be originally if the basemans foot were not in the way while he was overrunning first base) he would be safe. This is indeed different if the runner (Holliday) was trying to slide into home (not running like you do to first base) he went under the catchers foot. The part of the catchers foot that was not on top of the plate. He never touched the plate nor made an attempt to touch the plate, after he preceeded to overslide the plate. The catcher must then tag the runner, which was done, and an out occurs. Which it should have.

The catcher has just as much right of the plate as does the runner if he is fielding the ball, which he was. The catcher does not, however, if he is blocking the plate so the runner doesn't score and is not fielding the ball. Interference would then be called, which it wasn't and rightfully shouldn't given the way this play went down.

The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.

Barrett was correct in his defending of the plate.

That was one of the best game's I've ever seen.

That WAS the best game I've ever been to!!

Bingo. He was blocking the plate before he had the ball. Which is partially why Holliday got hurt and wasn't able to go make sure he touched the plate when the catcher was going to retrieve the ball. This is partially why the rule is in place.

Bottom line - Rockies went up against the best closer in MLB history (or one of the top 5) and rocked him - they deserved to win.

The Rockies tactfully dismantled the probable Cy Young award winner, SD's manager patientlyheld Hoffman out until they got a lead, and we still overcame that. Additionally, the game would not have been over had Holliday been called out. Remember, they int. walked Helton and he would have been on 2nd or 3rd with 2 outs.

SD's manager handled the situation very very well. I give him major props for that. It's unclear whether or not he got a fingertip in there. I had a great view of the play and thought he might have made it. The fans at Coors Field had no idea there was any controversy at the plate. It was 15 seconds of elation followed by some hoping that Holliday was okay.

All in all, this was a GREAT game to watch, it was poorly officiated all around, the ballpark was ROCKING, and the Rockies are in the playoffs!!!

(Now I just need to figure out what I am going to do as I have maxed out my credit card buying NLDS and NLCS tickets!)

Bingo. He was blocking the plate before he had the ball. Which is partially why Holliday got hurt and wasn't able to go make sure he touched the plate when the catcher was going to retrieve the ball. This is partially why the rule is in place.

The catcher is entitled to the plate, as is the runner, IF the catcher is fielding the ball. Which he was.

The catcher is entitled to the plate, as is the runner, IF the catcher is fielding the ball. Which he was.

Not true, says wikipedia:

"In baseball, blocking the plate is a common technique performed by a catcher to prevent a runner from scoring. The act of blocking the plate accounts for most of the physical contact in baseball.

By the rules of baseball, a runner has the right to an unobstructed path to a base. However, this right is not granted if the fielder guarding the base possesses the ball or is in the process of catching the ball."

I know my source sucks, if you can dig it up in the rule book, please do. He clearly had his foot blocking the bag before the ball was in a catchable area. This is not allowed. I'm sure the that ump took this into consideration while pondering for several seconds whether to call him safe. As I said before, if the catcher had not been over the plate before he was allowed to , Holliday doesn't get hurt and he might recover and touch home before the catcher retrieves the ball.

Archived