Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Memo to Joe

Uno Mas

Sad thing is, JG I would make the best halftime adjustments. Now, other coaches are schooling him at halftime.

I hear ya, it was a bad second half against the Giants, but to me it seems like there is too many chef's in the kitchen. It needs to be either an all Saunders offense, or an all Gibbs led offense, but not this little bit of both with Gibbs taking over on the goal line. We need to let Saunders do the job he was brought here to do, or let him go now and get back to what Gibbs has to ffer. I dont like the back and forth going on witht the offense right now. Can anyone definitively tell me who's playbook we are using and who is calling the plays?

Hope you don't mind if I piggy back on this statement:

What team in the NFL has such a potent running game? Can anyone name one? Every potent running game I've seen has had a good, not necessarily great, passing game to go along with it. Most teams with a "potent" running game go down field often enough to get guys out of the box opening up running lanes. It's simple, cause and affect. They feed off each other. We go deep just enough to keep a defense somewhat honest then it's right back to the running game even when it isn't working. Every opposing coach knows JG will run, run, run. In my limited football knowledge I know this and so does everyone else. Just like everyone knows JG goes into a shell when we have the lead and simply tries to run the clock out. It just doesn't make sense.

Does he not have enough confidence in his young QB to keep going down field? Does he not know that first downs gets his Defense off the field? When we have our opponent down we need to step on their throats until we can't step on it anymore, plain and simple. The team and fans not only need it but deserve it. Lets blow some teams out! That's the only way we'll ever instill fear and respect into our opponents. :2cents:

Agreed. In the 80's, you used a brusing running game to set up the pass. Now, you have to use the passing game to set up the running game and vice versa. Today's offenses need balance and we're too one dimensional. Riggo drill doesn't work anymore.

While the second half play calling was conservative, the same sorts of calls had, in the first half, lead to a big lead.

Joe doesn't run the ball, pass the ball, catch the ball, or block. All three areas broke down in the second half. The three series in the third quarter were all geared to move the ball effeciently (which has been Joes MO since 1982) but if the runner is stuffed each and every time, the passer has three players in his face, and the right guard and tackle are being whipped..... there are not many plays drawn up to take care of that situation.

Am I totally thrilled with the coaching? No, but as another poster pointed out Gibbs does know the game and has some sort of plan. As one of those "give em' four years to see what the coach can do" guys, I have to let him coach the ways he sees fit.

Giants had 3 sacks against us and 2 were JC holding the ball too long. When you look at Philly giving up 12 sacks, I think our rebuilt Oline played well. The run blocking needs to get better, so hopefully the 2 weeks together will help.

Joe Gibbs is a bad coach. I don't care what he WAS. He IS a bad coach, and he is hurting this team. Is this team more talented than it was when he came here? Yes. And despite a horde of wasted draft picks, he has brought some good players here. My overall impression of his personnel management of the organization is mixed, but as a coach, he is terrible, and he is proving it for the 4th year in a row. It would really be nice to have someone who really analyzes the game of football, breaks it down, attacks the defense's weakness, and uses our strengths, like Belichick. Unfortunately, I don't think Gibbs is going to do it. If we don't beat detroit our season will be in jeopardy, and I don't have faith in Gibbs to make the adjustments necessary to increase our chances of beating them.

The Giants middle was their weekness and we never went there. We threw passes in the flat and on the sideline. Again, this week, Detroit is weak in the middle and their corners are average. I hope the coaching staff decides to exploit that this week. I doubt they will. 3 yards and a cloud of dust is all I see. Stubborness on the coaching staff to stick with something that has us averaging only 17 points a game.

I have said it for the past three weeks, Joe doesn't have the killer instinct he used to have. The Redskins need to stop being afraid of making mistakes and make some plays. Sure the quarterback is young, but let him learn how to attack defenses. I think Al Saunders can tend to be a little too finesse in the running game but I love the way he attacks the defense in the passing game. I used to call Indy and New England cheap by running up the score, but I was wrong. What they have that no other team in the NFL has is the fact that they want to knock you out as soon as they can. You will never see either team sit on a lead in the second half. They don't just want to win, they want to bury you. Back in the 80's I remember after Washington had beaten Atlanta 56-17 Jerry Glanville was quoted as saying that the Redskins reached in to their chests and messaged their soles. That is how you beat teams, physically AND mentally.

Eagles game, we're leading by 8 and we threw the ball 65 yards down the field. It just didn't connect. It wasn't like we were running or dinking and dunking. We didn't have that opportunity in the Giants game. We couldn't convert a 3rd down in the second half. So, I don't know where all of this "...we don't go for the kill" stuff is coming from . We've had one opportunity to do so, and we took the shot. :2cents:

HTTR

Eagles game, we're leading by 8 and we threw the ball 65 yards down the field. It just didn't connect. It wasn't like we were running or dinking and dunking. We didn't have that opportunity in the Giants game. We couldn't convert a 3rd down in the second half. So, I don't know where all of this "...we don't go for the kill" stuff is coming from . We've had one opportunity to do so, and we took the shot. :2cents:

HTTR

That was the best call we could ever have made. The fact that even though it was incomplete, Al/Joe said, we have confidence we can beat this team and drive a stake throught their heart. Unfortunately that hasn't been happening very much in the last few years.

And I really hope Beauty will speak up here since he states most everyone on this board has no football knowledge.

Nope. Never said that. I said that in comparison to the knowledge contained in the head of one Joe Gibbs, everyone else's level of knowledge on this board is rather low. I've been misquoted at least twice now.

Same thing I've said the last 2 weeks, I'll say to you. In OM's thread, don't look at the words PASS or RUN. Look at the possessions.

First 4 possessions of the 2nd half- 4 passes, 7 runs, 3 punts and a turnover

Last 2 possessions trailing- 17 passes and 3 runs, 1 punt and 1 turnover on downs.

YES WE WERE CONSERVATIVE when we led 17-3, 17-10 and when the game was tied 17-17. Joe HAD to throw to get back to even. A monkey could see that.

Have you watched and evaluated the individual plays, or just their descriptions? Were these plays called in response to a particular defensive alignment? Was execution the problem? Was the Giants defense just good enough to stop the 'Skins when they needed to?

You can't be serious. I gave him the "rusty old fart" pass in year 1. Just how many years does it take to "get back into the game?" You do realize he only has 1 more year left on his contract. If it was going to take him 5 years to get back into things, how many people would have actually wanted him to come back? And why sign him to only a 5 year contract? No. It doesn't take a good coach this long to get back into the swing of things. There is no excuse for his poor coaching and assessment of talent (MARK BRUNELL) in years 2, 3, and 4.

Yes I am serious.

Yes, I know he has one year left on his contract.

No I didn't think it would take this long.

I also know that Joe is the one option we have that will keep the FO decisions on players out of Dan Snyder's hands. If it were not Joe making the decisions we would have had god-knows-what at almost every position, rather than one obvious bust at QB. And ya know, I'll take a bust with Brunell over the FA frenzy unleashed on this town several years ago any day of the week.

There are also, as you may have noticed, lots of bad coaches floating around the NFL who have been exposed to every new trend and wrinkle since day one, and still stink. Joe has had one very competitive team, one bad one, and this year remains to be seen (I tend to give him, or any coach a wash on year one with players he didn't choose).

Bust him if you wish, and I will reserve the right to scratch my head from time to time myself, but the team has improved since he came here, and for the first time in years there is young talent being developed and played rather then aging FAs.

Dont be so pessimistic. Joe is also known for his adjustments. I think we see something wild on Sunday. Gibbs can unload, dont think he cant. Its going to depend on the front four, without heavy blitzing to get pressure. Its a big game for Monty and Golston, they need to step up this week and take control of their position. No worries here, I think we are going to go right at Detroit, I hope we get the ball first.

I agree, i think Coach Gibbs will coming off this bye week, and really allow Al Saunders to really call the plays from now on. Obviously, decisions at the end of the game will certainly be still be made by Gibbs. I think after coach looked at film of that second half he realized he handcuffed the offense with the limited opporuinties they had in the second half.

I didn't think the play-calling on Sunday was conservative at all... I felt the execution was lacking in some spots.

And as far as "bad coaching" on the final drive... if your team can't make ONE YARD in 4 tries, it ain't the coaches fault.

A great deal of you people fail to realize it's not just the play that is called but the formation called to go with the play. We were in 1WR sets 54% of the time against the giants. (VERY VERY CONSERVATIVE) We did not spread the defense out until we down in the 4th. We did not attack the weakness of the defense (THE MIDDLE).

We can debate over Campbell's inexperience but not every guy coming out of college requires 5 or 6 years to get the seasoned vet label. I am not going to list the numerous QB's that have had success with less than 10 starts or a vet going to a brand new offense with a new head coach with an entirely new system and have success. If you do a little research that information in certainly there. Jason is a smart guy....he had to learn a new system each year in college and now even with only 10 starts he has consistency with that regard.

We should have used a similar game plan against the Giants that we used in Philly. A good offense plays to it's play makers strengths and the game plan dialed up attacks what weaknesses your upcoming opponent has shown to have. This is why they watch film and have a scouting department.

I will use this example if I were a HC getting ready to play Baltimore. I would come out with spread formations 4 or even motion the back out to create a 5 WR sets from the shotgun. If anyone watched the opening drive of NE versus SD you will know what I am saying. I would not even think about running until I took the aggressive nature away and had the D guessing.

My point to all of this is if we call games and scheme like we did two weeks ago teams won't need to guess they will read us shut us down and the season will be less than enjoyable. I was here for Gibbs I and one thing is certain....we have never won a championship without a GM. I will save that topic for another dead horse beating!! :2cents:

I watched that game....and I saw many plays that just were not executed. HAD those same plays been successful....all of these threads would be null and void. They would not have been written....because we would have been successful on the field.

I just dont understand why when we dont execute on the field due to miscues that it is the coaches fault.

You can sit around and should have, could have, would have all day long. Every week except for buys of course 16 teams win and 16 lose. I'm sure every losing team could have won "IF" they would have executed this play or that play differently.

This is professional football. Every team has the talent to win on any given Sunday "IF" they could have just executed things differently. So instead of putting the blame on JG you choose to put it on the players. That's your perogative but IMO JG shouldn't continue to get a free pass because he's JG with three trophies in the display case. Sooner or later he has to accept the fact the game has changed and he needs to change with it. Week after week we watch him go into a shell with the lead and week after week people make excuses for him. You think he isn't at least partially to blame?

What about San Diego? Think coaching isn't the problem there? Think it's exectution? Last week with the game on the line the chargers ran three, actually four straight pass plays with arguably the best running back in the NFL not touching the ball. Guess if one of the receivers thrown to would have caught the ball it wouldn't be a big deal, but they didn't and a tried and proven playmaker didn't even touch the ball. Deja Vu? Why was Portis sitting on the bench? Why give the ball to a guy with 9 career TD's with a 55 TD man watching from the bench? Coaching or execution? Guess if this person or that person could have, should have, would have we wouldn't be having this discussion. :2cents:

You can sit around and should have, could have, would have all day long. Every week except for buys of course 16 teams win and 16 lose. I'm sure every losing team could have won "IF" they would have executed this play or that play differently.

This is professional football. Every team has the talent to win on any given Sunday "IF" they could have just executed things differently. So instead of putting the blame on JG you choose to put it on the players. That's your perogative but IMO JG shouldn't continue to get a free pass because he's JG with three trophies in the display case. Sooner or later he has to accept the fact the game has changed and he needs to change with it. Week after week we watch him go into a shell with the lead and week after week people make excuses for him. You think he isn't at least partially to blame?

What about San Diego? Think coaching isn't the problem there? Think it's exectution? Last week with the game on the line the chargers ran three, actually four straight pass plays with arguably the best running back in the NFL not touching the ball. Guess if one of the receivers thrown to would have caught the ball it wouldn't be a big deal, but they didn't and a tried and proven playmaker didn't even touch the ball. Deja Vu? Why was Portis sitting on the bench? Why give the ball to a guy with 9 career TD's with a 55 TD man watching from the bench? Coaching or execution? Guess if this person or that person could have, should have, would have we wouldn't be having this discussion. :2cents:

We could compare our team to different teams out there....which to me is kinda silly. So now we are San Diego and JG is that coach?

A stretch to me.

Oh and by the way.....as you say......

We could do the same thing if we won and say......it was the coach who did it....not the players. We could win with ANY player because the coach is great.

I am NOT saying JG is the blame. I am saying he calls plays that he thinks the team on the field can execute. It is THEIR job to do it.

So.......when they do it......WHO GETS THE PRAISE? COACH? PLAYERS? Both?

So.......when do DONT do it......WHO GETS THE PRAISE?

Just wondering.

We could compare our team to different teams out there....which to me is kinda silly. So now we are San Diego and JG is that coach?

A stretch to me.

Oh and by the way.....as you say......

We could do the same thing if we won and say......it was the coach who did it....not the players. We could win with ANY player because the coach is great.

I am NOT saying JG is the blame. I am saying he calls plays that he thinks the team on the field can execute. It is THEIR job to do it.

So.......when they do it......WHO GETS THE PRAISE? COACH? PLAYERS? Both?

So.......when do DONT do it......WHO GETS THE PRAISE?

Just wondering.

I used San Diego as an example because it's obvious that they plummeted from the top to the bottom with almost the exact same team still in tact from the previous season. LT didn't all of a sudden lose his mojo, Norv Turner took it from him. Yeeeeeah Baby!

Blondie, how can you not see the trend? Joe just didn't start doing this against the Giants. Joe has been doing this for years. During his first tenure no one had an answer for John Riggins or Art Monk. We were able to grind it out and convert third downs almost at will. The game is different, players are different. I doubt we'd be successful with this game plan even is we had Art Monk and John Riggins in their prime. I know most skins fans would like to think you could go onto the field with just these two players and crush any team any time but it's just not true. Players of today are a hell of a lot faster and explosive and so is the game. Football teams can put points on the board faster than ever and before you know it there's a great big fat L where a W should have been.

I would give Joe and the players the credit if he'd let them keep doing whats working. Why change the game plan in the second half if the stuff your doing in the first half is still working. Blondie you know as much about football as the next person, you can't tell me you don't see the hot and spicey turn into vanilla in the second half. Yes the players need to execute but you make it sound like every player executed every play perfectly and thats why we score. Go back and watch the plays where we scored and see if you don't catch some miscues yet the play was still successful because the right players were given an opportunity to make plays. I don't think JG is giving us those same opportunities when we have the lead going into the second half. It's blatantly obvious and beyond popular belief JG isn't perfect. :2cents:

I used San Diego as an example because it's obvious that they plummeted from the top to the bottom with almost the exact same team still in tact from the previous season. LT didn't all of a sudden lose his mojo, Norv Turner took it from him. Yeeeeeah Baby!

Blondie, how can you not see the trend? Joe just didn't start doing this against the Giants. Joe has been doing this for years. During his first tenure no one had an answer for John Riggins or Art Monk. We were able to grind it out and convert third downs almost at will. The game is different, players are different. I doubt we'd be successful with this game plan even is we had Art Monk and John Riggins in their prime. I know most skins fans would like to think you could go onto the field with just these two players and crush any team any time but it's just not true. Players of today are a hell of a lot faster and explosive and so is the game. Football teams can put points on the board faster than ever and before you know it there's a great big fat L where a W should have been.

I would give Joe and the players the credit if he'd let them keep doing whats working. Why change the game plan in the second half if the stuff your doing in the first half is still working. Blondie you know as much about football as the next person, you can't tell me you don't see the hot and spicey turn into vanilla in the second half. Yes the players need to execute but you make it sound like every player executed every play perfectly and thats why we score. Go back and watch the plays where we scored and see if you don't catch some miscues yet the play was still successful because the right players were given an opportunity to make plays. I don't think JG is giving us those same opportunities when we have the lead going into the second half. It's blatantly obvious and beyond popular belief JG isn't perfect. :2cents:

It's blatantly obvious and beyond popular belief JG isn't perfect.

Come on now......who has said he is perfect. That last sentence is emotion.....not logic.

I am pleased with what I saw in the first 2 games....plus the first half of the Miami game. I was not happy with the second half....but I am going to put some of the problems on the execution.

I am NOT giving a knee jerk reaction to this loss. I am going to wait to see how we come out against the lions.....and see if we finish them off. 2/12 or 1/6 of the season so far has made me :rubeyes:

I dont rant. I try to analyze this. I was NOT pleased...but I did see so many of our plays blown....I believe I must take a deep breath and see how we react on Sunday.

It is not ALL OR NONE for me.

IF GIbbs starts to lose games again in the second half I want him out of here. I'm sick and tired of watching games where the skins are leading only to get humiliated in the 4th quarter. This team is very good and Gibbs is holding it back. IF they lose to the lions just because gibbs doesn't open up the offense just a little I'll start asking for his head. I just can't take watching those games that we should win only to give it up on the last play.

IF GIbbs starts to lose games again in the second half I want him out of here. I'm sick and tired of watching games where the skins are leading only to get humiliated in the 4th quarter. This team is very good and Gibbs is holding it back. IF they lose to the lions just because gibbs doesn't open up the offense just a little I'll start asking for his head. I just can't take watching those games that we should win only to give it up on the last play.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just read your post.....then looked at your sig pic and the word RELAX.

The combination made me chuckle.

HOPEFULLY.......you WILL be able to relax.

Archived