Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Would This Defense Be with 2 NTs?

method man

I remember a few years ago before this crew of Bears, the Bears had both Ted Washington and Keith Traylor at DT. Neither guy was very good at rushing the passer, but the two of them just ate up interior blockers and the Bears went to the playoffs that season with Dick Jauron as their head coach. What would this defense be like if we drafted a Frank Okam or Red Bryant in next spring's draft and plugged him in next to Montgomery? Would we then be able to play another smallish DE where Daniels plays now? I feel if we had both Okam and Montgomery, the two of them are big enough and monstrous enough to just eat up all interior blockers and make running inside impossible for the other team. They would also occupy enough blockers so that our DEs can go into one-on-one matches and blitzes would work more effectively, because more people can be sent in untouched.

This would really help a back 7 such as ours because they will be better shielded from blockers and I think our one weakness would be runs to the outside. However, we do have 2 Pro Bowl level LBs in Marcus and Rocky and excellent safeties.

The Ravens used this strategy too, when they won the Superbowl, with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

It certainly not a bad thing to have, as it stuffs the run and frees up your LBs to make plays.

But its not our biggest need. We have some pretty good talent at DT, but our DEs are severely lacking. We need edge rushers in general. A big DT would be OK, but I dont think it would help us get to the QB much, and that is our single biggest need on defense.

I honestly don't think we need that much help at DT, although those scenarios (the Bears and Ravens) both stuffed the run so well that it was basically a non-factor in every game they played. Griffin may not be as big as Montgomery, but he stuffs the run with the best of 'em, and Golston is a great backup who can become a starter down the line. I would rather have DEs who put pressure on the QB, because we do very well against the run.

The Ravens used this strategy too, when they won the Superbowl, with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

It certainly not a bad thing to have, as it stuffs the run and frees up your LBs to make plays.

But its not our biggest need. We have some pretty good talent at DT, but our DEs are severely lacking. We need edge rushers in general. A big DT would be OK, but I dont think it would help us get to the QB much, and that is our single biggest need on defense.

our DTs are always hurt ... we need some d-line help in the worse way

The nice thing about a NT is that you can get one in more of a value round. It's not really a premium position, and you tend to see the playmaking UT types (Kevin Williams, Amobi Okoye, etc.) drafted earlier. Only your really elite NTs (the Vince Wilforks of the world) tend to go in the first round.

Frankly, if we were in the mood to make the DL a priority, we could probably come out of this draft with a big LE like Tyson Jackson AND a NT like Red Bryant. Maybe not those specific players, but that type of duo. That would definitely shore up the DL, and let our LBs float free as birds.

While I agree we need to upgrade over Daniels, if we have two huge NTs in the middle, our DEs would look a lot better because they would get many more one-on-one matchups.

The nice thing about a NT is that you can get one in more of a value round. It's not really a premium position, and you tend to see the playmaking UT types (Kevin Williams, Amobi Okoye, etc.) drafted earlier. Only your really elite NTs (the Vince Wilforks of the world) tend to go in the first round.

Frankly, if we were in the mood to make the DL a priority, we could probably come out of this draft with a big LE like Tyson Jackson AND a NT like Red Bryant. Maybe not those specific players, but that type of duo. That would definitely shore up the DL, and let our LBs float free as birds.

There are actually 2-3 really good NTs in this year's draft. Okam is probably the best of them and he is going to go in the first round. We could probably get a DE in round 1 and Red Bryant in round 2. BJ Raji and Jason Shirley, a 330 pound freak who runs a 40 under 5, are also going to be Day 1 picks.

No you are dead right about those specific players. I would get either Jackson or Langford and Bryant, Okam, Shirley, or Raji.

Meh..I'd rather have an awesome penetrating/pocket collapsing 1 gapper (Okoye/Sapp type) rather then two 2 gappers. When those guys get doubled it makes the blitz more effective and causes the QB to react before he wants which equates to turnovers.

That worked for the Ravens that one year, but they were lucky the Vikings totally choked. I doubt that a team with that type of offense (Jamal Lewis as its only threatening player) will ever be seen winning a Superbowl again.

How about someone like this

Keilen Dykes DL (Nose tackle in a 3-3 Odd Stack)

Hometown: Youngstown, OH

Height: 6-5

Weight: 295 lbs.

He's a 2 Gap DT maybe not as big as some NTs but he's got good lateral movement and is pretty strong.

With what you have given me though, I would have to draw immediate comparisons to Tank Johnson, which is a good thing. I like that he is guy who has started all 4 years and could probably come in and start right away if necessary despite limited experience in a pro scheme. I would indeed monitor how fast he is laterally. Scout.com has him going in Round 4 so if we didn't lose that pick in the Duckett trade, I say we look at him.

Archived