Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andre Carter is improved

D'Pablo

I disagree with your bluntness and Andre Carter doesn't "suck". But at the same time, I think too many feel that one sack per game is enough. They think that if he gets 15-16 sacks this season, he's done his job. But that isn't the case. He has to put consistent pressure on the QB, that's more important. Obviously, as a result, he'll get more sacks, but the amount of pressure he puts on the QB is what counts. If he's doing that, he's doing his job.

Andre Carter is a be careful what you wish for scenario come to life.

Redskins fans begged and pleaded for a pass rusher and we got one in Andre Carter. The problem is Carter is about 256 pounds so although he can sack people he becomes a liability when teams target his edge to run on.

Considering Rocky McIntosh is also light and fleet there is no one on the right side that is a real run stuffer Except Sean Taylor who is no longer supporting the run as much.

Carter is a good football player and hopefully he will be able to get a little more stout against the run while he continues to get sacks.

I wish Carter was a freak of nature like Julius Peppers who at 280 pounds runs like a gazzelle, but we are not so fortunate.

Andre Carter does not suck...but Greg Williams needs to figure out a way to cover up the problem the Giants exposed last week on the right side of the D-line.

Did you mean to type "Aaron Carter" instead of "Andre Carter"?

If you meant Aaron Carter, then I agree.

If you meant Andre Carter, then I disagree. I think Andre Carter has done a decent job.

Is it just me or does it seem like Andre Carter is so close to making a lot more plays and having a bigger impact on the game?

You are seeing what a lot of folks are seeing.

Carter is getting into the fray this year, but the Giants ran him over last week.

He needs to stick some sandbags in his pocket so he won't get rag-dolled when teams run at him.

Other than that...he has been very impactful.

I'm not sure what the gripe here is. Through 3 games we're #10 at stopping the run in the league. Andre has been getting great pressure. His stats are moderate but he has been so close to making multiple plays. This might not show up on the stat sheet but he is forcing QB's to act faster and get the ball out of their hands. I obviously am looking for Carter to continue improving throughout the year but I think he is doing great. Maybe it's just these burgandy glasses I'm wearing.

I disagree with your bluntness and Andre Carter doesn't "suck". But at the same time, I think too many feel that one sack per game is enough. They think that if he gets 15-16 sacks this season, he's done his job. But that isn't the case. He has to put consistent pressure on the QB, that's more important. Obviously, as a result, he'll get more sacks, but the amount of pressure he puts on the QB is what counts. If he's doing that, he's doing his job.

no, i said he gets pressure alot. Just because he isnt sacking means he is getting sacks.

First off, I completely stand by what I've said. I have game tape to back me up. This isn't completely out of the blue to me, either. It's something I've had on my mind and haven't had the time to review film to validate it. You're entitled to disagree, but I'm right.

I'll admit that "sucks" is pretty strong considering that Carter can get pressure. However, if he keeps getting manhandled in run support, his value is greatly diminished. He was visible tired by the beginning of the fourth quarter against the Giants. A lot of that had to do with him being blown off the line constantly in the previous quarter. The Giants don't have world-beaters at OT.

Last year, many of us, myself included, wanted to believe that Warrick Holdman was the sole reason our run D was weak on the right side. Having seen teams exploit that area in nearly every game this season, it leads me to believe that Holdman wasn't the only issue. There seems to be pattern of stretch plays to our right that each team has run, gaining 8 yards a pop (sometimes more).

An every-down 250lbs D-lineman in this era of professional football is ridiculous. At least Dwight Freeney, whom many consider under-sized, is close to 270 lbs. To some people this weight issue isn't important, but I think it's crucial. I think my main gripe is that he has had two offseasons to put on weight since reverting back to a DE and hasn't done so. This team is equipped to handle any run support issues with our D-line. In that sense, we're a lot like a 3-4 D, with our linemen clogging up the O-line. When one guy struggles, Carter in this case, our entire D struggles.

I'm surprised no one has hit on this. It seems like every long run against the skins has involved this guy getting shoved back 20 yards. He can't hold his ground at all. He has two sacks on the season and people are willing to forget that he gets run over constantly. I'm surprised teams haven't been running to his side more often considering the success last season. It should be a crime for our coaches to allow a 252lbs DE out on the field on every down.

Blah blah blah, quit whining, he's our best Defensive Lineman......

I'm surprised no one has hit on this. It seems like every long run against the skins has involved this guy getting shoved back 20 yards. He can't hold his ground at all. He has two sacks on the season and people are willing to forget that he gets run over constantly. I'm surprised teams haven't been running to his side more often considering the success last season. It should be a crime for our coaches to allow a 252lbs DE out on the field on every down.

Glasses and professional football 101 book anyone?

This post sucks! Heh :silly:

Honestly, let's say he got 1 sack a game that would be 16 sacks on the year which is unheard of. So, having 2 sacks in 3 games is very good. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

ii have brought this up before

his average pass rushing ability isnt worth keeping him on the feild with his crappy run D.

The type of DE that is best in this scheme is a bullrusher like Daniels because they are big enough to take both the run and the pass. We need to get ourselves a young bullrusher in the draft.

First off' date=' I completely stand by what I've said. I have game tape to back me up. This isn't completely out of the blue to me, either. It's something I've had on my mind and haven't had the time to review film to validate it. You're entitled to disagree, but I'm right.[/quote']

If we give up 3.2 ypc every game because of Andre Carter getting picked on, I'm far from worried. In other words, the Giants game was not exactly a great game to pick if you want to point out one of our guy's failings in run support. While the Eagles game is a better example, it was clear to me that missed tackles and hesitation by our LBs was the bigger issue.

It seems to me that you also ignore the fact that he does make plays in run support with his speed and motor despite the fact that he can get pushed around a little. Carter has made plenty of tackles for us in his tenure here where he's managed to find his way to the other side of the field to bring a guy down.

yeah well where was this thread last week after the loss? I don't understand where this one is coming from. The defense was on the field for most of the second half! I can't put this one on the defense. The offense had done its' job, we wouldn't be talking about a loss right now.

Archived