Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do folks think that Lloyd is a bust?

jive_crankin

Lloyd is a bust becuase the old fart coaches got their feelings hurt and therefore wont give him a chance to produce for the team. There is no way James Thrash should be in ahead of Lloyd. Lloyd blocks as good if not better than Thrash and he can actually be a good/decent receiver.

without having the game films, I think it's impossible to gage the real reason why he has not been productive, but from the plays I've seen broken down, he did not do his job of getting open... no separation = no balls thrown your way...

^^^ur right with out any game film or living in redskin park we cant possible know why the limited opportunities and lack of production. We can only assume, however when u assume u make an a** out of urself. And by the way, he did have a TD in last month and didnt he recover a fumble by sellers one game? he sure did bail big mike out of that.

I don't know why people here are carrying a torch for Lloyd.

He has never produced numbers that would turn anyone's head.

His 'best' season in SF would be merely pedestrian when looking at the careers of any notable receiver in Washington history :)

This isn't a guy with three or four 1,000 yard seasons and a couple of pro bowl berths on his resume.

The most famous thing Lloyd has done here is throw his helmet.

I wonder if anyone has a stat sheet on the past two years of Lloyd's catches and passes thrown to him. I would be curious to see the percentages and how many passes he was actually thrown.

Courtesy of Footballguys.com. Not sure if this is open to everyone

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/LloyBr00-2.php

If the link doesn't work, the stats say

2006 - targeted 57 times with 23 receptions

2007 - targeted 3 times with 0 receptions ( do know one that was nullified via penalty though). ;)

Looks like to me that he's the odd man out. He's hardly in the game and when he does get in the passes go to the running back, Cooley or the running back. LOL! I thought Lloyd could be used along with Moss, Randle EL and Cooley at the sametime. With Portis coming out of the backfield, who do you defend?

*thoughts*

Dude, he's never on the field because something is happening in practice (ie. he doesn't practice hard, bad attitude, etc). People say he's a bust because he isn't playing and we payed big bucks for him. Period. No offense, but this is a horrible thread:doh:

I wonder if anyone has a stat sheet on the past two years of Lloyd's catches and passes thrown to him. I would be curious to see the percentages and how many passes he was actually thrown.

From PRO FOOTBALL PROSPECTUS 2007:

In 2006, Lloyd was thrown to 58 times for 23 receptions (41%) for 365 yds, 0 TDs.

In 2005 (SF), Lloyd was thrown to 109 times for 48 receptions (44%) for 733 yds, 5 TDs.

For comparison, look at Joe Horn who fell to #2 WR at New Orleans last year -- thrown to 61 times for 37 receptions (61%) for 679 yds, 4 TDs.

The thing about Lloyd is that his catch percentage has declined for the past three seasons -- 2004 (48%), 2005 (44%), 2006 (41%). Also, his numbers at San Francisco did not match those of Rod Gardner, who he was replacing. :doh:

That last part is what the killer. If Lloyd was signed for depth without the heavy contract, you would just say "oh well" and chalk it up as another David Patten experience. Patten, btw, caught 44% of passes thrown to him at New England the season before the Redskins signed him.

Reche Caldwell caught 60% of the passes thrown to him in 2006 and 65% of passes in 2005. Keenan McCardell caught 36 of 51 passes in 2006 (71%) and 70 of 109 passes in 2005 (65%).

If Lloyd was signed for depth without the burdensome contract extension, you would just chalk it up as another David Patten experience and move on. Patten caught 46% of passes thrown in his last year at New England before the Redskins signed him. I believe the Skins were impressed with his 18 yards per catch average. Lloyd had 15 YPC in his last year with the 49ers.

Draw your own conclusions.

In 2006, Lloyd was thrown to 58 times for 23 receptions (41%) for 365 yds, 0 TDs.

In 2005 (SF), Lloyd was thrown to 109 times for 48 receptions (44%) for 733 yds, 5 TDs.

For comparison, look at Joe Horn who fell to #2 WR at New Orleans last year -- thrown to 61 times for 37 receptions (61%) for 679 yds, 4 TDs.

The thing about Lloyd is that his catch percentage has declined for the past three seasons -- 2004 (48%), 2005 (44%), 2006 (41%). Also, his numbers at San Francisco did not match those of Rod Gardner, who he was replacing. :doh:

That last part is what the killer. If Lloyd was signed for depth without the heavy contract, you would just say "oh well" and chalk it up as another David Patten experience. Patten, btw, caught 44% of passes thrown to him at New England the season before the Redskins signed him.

Reche Caldwell caught 60% of the passes thrown to him in 2006 and 65% of passes in 2005. Keenan McCardell caught 36 of 51 passes in 2006 (71%) and 70 of 109 passes in 2005 (65%).

If Lloyd was signed for depth without the burdensome contract extension, you would just chalk it up as another David Patten experience and move on. Patten caught 46% of passes thrown in his last year at New England before the Redskins signed him. I believe the Skins were impressed with his 18 yards per catch average. Lloyd had 15 YPC in his last year with the 49ers.

Thanks for the stats!

Bust!

I understand Lloyd looks great in practice and can't convert that experience in games when it counts. With all the talk about his off-season regiment of weigh lifting, he still doesn't show that he is interested in reclaiming his position in the line-up on game day.

I'm incline to think that Lloyd has resigned to settle for a buy out of his contract after the season is over. I hope I'm wrong. The coaching staff are upset with his effort and progression to this point. They must know something that we aren't privileged to share.

After all is said and done, a $5 million dollar roster bonus speaks volumes of what the team thought of him. It seems as if this guy just does not get it. Making the hard and difficult catches is impressive in practice but that talent has to come through when it counts. Thus far, we have not seen it.

Gold Brick?

I don't know why people here are carrying a torch for Lloyd.

He has never produced numbers that would turn anyone's head.

His 'best' season in SF would be merely pedestrian when looking at the careers of any notable receiver in Washington history :)

This isn't a guy with three or four 1,000 yard seasons and a couple of pro bowl berths on his resume.

The most famous thing Lloyd has done here is throw his helmet.

I disagree.

He's most famous here for his lethal headshot in halo 2.

What galls me the most is the draft picks we spent on him.

A 3rd and 4th rounder. That's one, maybe two starters right there.

Remember, we got Cooley and Dockery in the 3rd round. And we've made starters out of 5th and 6th rounders like Montgomery and Golston.

The move was worse than Arch Deluxe. At least someone would take him off our hands and no draft picks lost.

Lloyd is a bust becuase the old fart coaches got their feelings hurt and therefore wont give him a chance to produce for the team. There is no way James Thrash should be in ahead of Lloyd. Lloyd blocks as good if not better than Thrash and he can actually be a good/decent receiver.

Kind of harse words about the coaching staff. I think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt here. He's being snubbed by them, but why?

Could it be that they have knownledge about Lloyd's professionalism that they deemed not correctable?

Think about it, a $5 million dollar roster bonus and yet the coaches are at fault?

***Disclaimer - I am not a Lloyd hater or supporter

Yeah, you probably made the worst conclusions by looking at those stats ALONE. By that logic, Ladell Betts is by far the Skins best receiver, probably ever. Why would I say that....because he caught the ball 82.8% of the time.

Looking at the number of throws to him and the completions do not reveal the type and circumstances of the throws. It only shows that Lloyd was never really a target in the passing game.

I say that because of the following: The skins were mostly a running team for majority of the season last year. Combine that with the fact that Lloyd had four people in front of him who had more pass attempts. That doesn't even make sense, considering he was supposedly their number 2 receiver. Betts didn't even start till half way through the season, and he still had 64 throws to him, 7 more than lloyd. That is just ridiculous.

Also, you have to remember how the skins actually played last year. Look at Lloyd's average, he has the highest average on the team. And, if you actually remember the games, he was pretty much only used on deep routes, which has a significantly less chance of being caught, especially when ur quarterback is Brunell. Lloyd was the token deep route of the game.

Finally, still remembering how the skins actually played last year, did the skins not continuously run screens and 2 yard patterns while Brunell was in the game? Considering ARE and Moss are both quicker and faster than Lloyd, why would they not have more receptions than Lloyd? My points are valid, esp. since Betts finished the season as the number 2 leading receiver, and ARE had a pathetic average of 11.

***Again, not a hater or supporter of Lloyd

Gave up too much in draft picks then instead of using the current contract for him to audition here, it gets torn up and the signing bonus for someone unproven bites the front office in the butt again.

He had Brunell throwing to him last year and this year with Campbell as the new QB he is like the an afterthought.

We are the only team with completions to only two wide receivers.

Once in the doghouse always in the doghouse.

He'll probably show marked improvement elsewhere

Stop the dissin about playing Halo in the offtime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because most of you don't have the cajones to buy the game and face devastation from N.D. is no reason to downplay a great game.

Halo for the PC is a great game for err troubleshooting and preventative maintenance at the office

***Disclaimer - I am not a Lloyd hater or supporter

Yeah, you probably made the worst conclusions by looking at those stats ALONE. By that logic, Ladell Betts is by far the Skins best receiver, probably ever. Why would I say that....because he caught the ball 82.8% of the time.

Looking at the number of throws to him and the completions do not reveal the type and circumstances of the throws. It only shows that Lloyd was never really a target in the passing game.

I didn't actually draw conclusions, just presented the stats in answer to a question. The stats, by the way, confirm what I see on the field.

I direct you to Lloyd's last year with San Francisco when he was the #1 receiver and caught 44% of the 109 passes to him. His numbers with two teams over three years are enough to cover any type and circumstance of throws. San Francisco or Washington, Alex Smith, or Mark Brunell, or Jason Campbell, he is consistent catching 4 of 10 passes.

A good NFL receiver should catch 6 of 10. We derided Rod Gardner as "fifty-fifty." Lloyd has yet to equal Gardner's performance.

I didn't actually draw conclusions, just presented the stats in answer to a question. The stats, by the way, confirm what I see on the field.

I direct you to Lloyd's last year with San Francisco when he was the #1 receiver and caught 44% of the 109 passes to him. His numbers with two teams over three years are enough to cover any type and circumstance of throws. San Francisco or Washington, Alex Smith, or Mark Brunell, or Jason Campbell, he is consistent catching 4 of 10 passes.

A good NFL receiver should catch 6 of 10. We derided Rod Gardner as "fifty-fifty." Lloyd has yet to equal Gardner's performance.

This might be semantics but didn't Gardner get the 50-50 tag because he only caught the ball half the time when it hit him in the hands and not 50% of the time he was targeted? How many flat out drops has BL had? JC's 1st pass no doubt. He lost one "in the lights" last year but the ball never hit him in the hands. Any others? Gardner on the other hand, well, he dropped a boat load while on the team. Wide receiver screens, deep balls, you name the pass and he dropped it.

I appreciate the stats. They don't lie. But I do agree with the "disclaimer" poster who said that BL was the token deep threat last year, which, with Brunell heaving it, is going to lower his %.

Archived