Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers lacks cornerback intangibles!

Drunken Master III

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

They did the same with Champ Bailey, but Champ didn't get quite as much criticism because he made big plays to counter the big plays he gave up (see Terry Glenn and Dallas vs Champ Bailey).

Carlos needs big plays. He'll be fine if he can convert good plays into great plays that help win games. He needs to give fans other things to consider than the negative plays against him.

agreed. heres hoping carlos can make a few big game changing plays.

i just dont like that they targeted him 15 times. that says something about who they thought they could beat. and even though his sya was good, ill take rogers game over smoots.

his PI call was questionable if i remember, and he did give up the big sideline play to chambers.

again, its always rogers giving up the memorable bad plays, which is another reason why i think people ride the guy so hard.

You have to remember that the best wide receiver for a right handed QB (like Green) will usually line up on the right. Notice that Santana lines up more on the right now? When Brunell was quarterback, he lined up more on the left. I think they were going to target Chris Chambers no matter who covered him.

intangibles come with experience and work ethic... that can be made.

I disagree. I think it's something you either have or don't have. You can improve your game with practice and play, no doubt... However, the intagibles or the knack to make plays in coverage is either there or not.

:2cents:

1) Springs tackled Burress when he got the ball... Minus the one TD that was entirely Carlos Rogers fault, Burress had 4 catches for just over 50 yards. How is that "torching?" You do realize that this season (including the Redskins game), that Burress is averaging 17.5 ypc... Outside of the Carlos Rogers play, he was 5 yards less than that.

2) Nobody will ever convince me that Carlos isn't reading what the offense shows and determining his own cushion. There is too often when he is showing a different cushion from Springs. I don't know if there is a sane individual who believes Carlos is better 10-15 yards off the LOS.

3) Smoot dropped one ball this year and it was big. However, he led the team in interceptions his first 4 years as a Redskin. He made big plays that minimized any negative plays he had. Carlos needs to do the same.

4) You didn't respond to my earlier post... If Carlos makes big plays, all this talk goes away. This is my only problem with Carlos. Can you agree?

perfect assessment.... Carlos doesn't suck but he needs to make a play once in a while!

It’s a moot point now with the addition of Landry… but I always thought Rogers would be a money free safety, witch would have allowed Taylor to play closer to the line of scrimmage as SS.

Rogers is solid tackler with decent cover skills and has the body type of a FS… might help to gain a few pounds though.

:2cents:

um, carlos held plaxico to 0 catches for 0 yards in the first half of that game while he was pressed up.

then williams dialed up our now notorious prevent with a 3 point lead defense, backed our corners off the line 10 yards, and still rogers only gave up that one big play to burress. im aware it was the gamebreaker, but burress has 6 inches and 30+ pounds on rogers, and broke a tackle.

smoot might have jumped it, if he could ever get on the field. and smoot got LIT UP in the miami game badly.

los > smoot any day of the week

Plaxico dropped alot balls in the first half and it was not because of Carlos.

Plaxico dropped alot balls in the first half and it was not because of Carlos.

disagree, i think they were bad throws forced by solid pressure from our blitz/dline. there was maybe one that he dropped, and even so, allowing 1 completion to one fo the best receivers in the league isnt a big deal.

rogers is awesome when hes pressed up and gets solid pressure.

15 yard cushions and non existent pass rush will get us what we saw on sunday's last 30 minutes.

IMO,

Carlos Rogers will be best utilized as a safety. He is a very good athlete minus the coverage instincts to be an all pro corner. Rogers at best will be a containment corner. He is big, physical and he plays the run well. He does not break on the ball and on rare occassions when he does he drops it. The only thing stopping Rogers is his confidence. Physically Rogers is the best corner on the team but he plays scared. He is so afraid of getting beat that he does not put himself in a position to make a play on the football.

Smoot is a solid cover guy with pedestrian speed. Smoot is what I like to call a "bad throw corner". A good pass rush causes bad throws and those are the ones Smoot gets. Smoot has a knack for getting himself into a position to make plays on the ball which Rogers does not have in his DNA. Smoot would thrive if the Skins had a consistent pass rush. At this point I'd rather see Smoot playing opposite of Springs because he covers better than Rogers.

I would also like to see more of Torrence because that kid has blazing speed. I would like to see how his coverage skills are. If he can cover he may jet past both Rogers and Smoot.

Well I only saw the replay when it happened, but it looked to me like it looks every time our corners should have a pick. They are playing the man, not the ball.

If Rogers had taken a glance at Eli, he would have seen how awful that throw was and had a better jump. Unfortunately, he was staring right at Buress.

Carlos tried for a pick earlier in the game and missed, I think he figured at that point he was better off going for the tackle only he MISSED!

Well I only saw the replay when it happened, but it looked to me like it looks every time our corners should have a pick. They are playing the man, not the ball.

If Rogers had taken a glance at Eli, he would have seen how awful that throw was and had a better jump. Unfortunately, he was staring right at Buress.

LOL!!!!!! I agree 1000000%! I also pointed that out to my wife as the play happened before my eyes. Carlos seems to never look for the ball and has done this countless of times :doh: ..... With his butterfingers that makes him even much worse! I hope he steps it up because I wanted him to succeed as a Redskin but as of this moment he isn't that good.

Ignorant...you have to have played the game to have any knowledge of what you are talking about, it is obvious to me that you have never set foot on a football field. If your a cornerback, you normally DO play the reciever...if your looking at the quarterback, then ummm oh wait plaxico is running a fly route and got a touchdown WHOOPS, seriousely its all techniques the coaches teach them. Don't you realize that every technique or style of play they have is because of the DB COACH, they are the ones who tell them how they should play. Smoot WON'T be any better.

IMO,

Carlos Rogers will be best utilized as a safety. He is a very good athlete minus the coverage instincts to be an all pro corner. Rogers at best will be a containment corner. He is big, physical and he plays the run well. He does not break on the ball and on rare occassions when he does he drops it. The only thing stopping Rogers is his confidence. Physically Rogers is the best corner on the team but he plays scared. He is so afraid of getting beat that he does not put himself in a position to make a play on the football.

Smoot is a solid cover guy with pedestrian speed. Smoot is what I like to call a "bad throw corner". A good pass rush causes bad throws and those are the ones Smoot gets. Smoot has a knack for getting himself into a position to make plays on the ball which Rogers does not have in his DNA. Smoot would thrive if the Skins had a consistent pass rush. At this point I'd rather see Smoot playing opposite of Springs because he covers better than Rogers.

I would also like to see more of Torrence because that kid has blazing speed. I would like to see how his coverage skills are. If he can cover he may jet past both Rogers and Smoot.

No you don't want to see Leigh Torrence. Kevin Curtis beat him badly to the corner but McNabb threw a bad pass.

Im here watching NFL Replay on NFL Network. There is no reason Carlos should not have gotten a jump on Eli's pass to Plaxico. The pass was badly thrown and pick 6 written all over it. If it were Smoot or Springs that is house the other way more than likely. To make the situation even worse he misses the tackle forcing the safeties to make the play. LaRon had the type of hit that could have easily jarred the ball loose as well. Carlos needs to be the nickel back...... sorry to say.
Who in the **** would want to watch that game again?! I was taping it due to their throwbacks but stopped it about mid-way thru the 4th quarter because I was about to puke!!

Archived