Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Defense of the Goal Line Plays

BD

Well, actually, just the first play. The others - they should've called em, but with Portis. Anyway, back to that first play.

Remember 2005? I do. It was a good year. One of the things that was particularly good about it was Mike Sellers.

http://www.nfl.com/players/mikesellers/profile?id=SEL465626

Check it: In 2005, Mike Sellers had only 1 rushing attempt, and 1 rushing TD. He only caught 12 passes. But 7 of them were for touchdowns. That means Sellers only touched the ball five times all season WITHOUT scoring.

I'm sure most of you remember the specific play that worked so well in 2005 with Big Mike - it's the same one, roughly, that Tampa Bay always used to use with that irritating hunchback Alstott. If you're within about 5 yards of the endzone, play action, flare the blocking back out into the flat, and hit him for six. Frustratingly simple.

Over and over, Sellers ran this to perfection in '05. It's a play that's very difficult to block. And so I'm glad - even though it wasn't the exact same play - that the team at least thought to use it in the redzone. Let's hope they do run it again in that situation, considering that in most single coverage contests, I expect Sellers and his lurching frame to win.

BD

My favorite redzone play is the one we scored the first TD on against Dallas at home in '05. Cooley lines up and begins to run a drag over the middle and if he gets by the LB then he continues on the drag pattern, however, if the LB blocks off the inside Cooley simply stops and reverses his direction so a ball thrown to his outside shoulder is practically impossible to defend.

if i remember correctly, the ball was a little underthrown, but still catchable

He IS a fullback tho and weighs around 270, he isnt Lynn Swan like when recieving :laugh: Never will be. And 2 years ago almost every touchdown he scored, the ball was right in his bread basket.

He IS a fullback tho and weighs around 270, he isnt Lynn Swan like when recieving :laugh: Never will be. And 2 years ago almost every touchdown he scored, the ball was right in his bread basket.

thats what im saying.... thats why he was a little frustrated, he knew he was gonna pound that for 6 if it was in his hands

Archived