Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Post article, Burress fired Up from Skins Trash talking

Skinsinparadise

I am not in the camp of the sky is falling but I found this article interesting. I am wondering if the Skins let down some when they are favorites. Its happened last year and even in the playoff season against teams like Oakland at home.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09252007/sports/giants/rhapsody_in_blue.htm?page=1

Nobody else knows that, everyone thinks we're the doormat of the NFC,'' Burress said.

The night before the game, Burress said he was flipping around Washington television and heard various Redskins players trashing the Giants, as if the outcome was a foregone conclusion.

"Like they were just going to walk on top of us,'' he said.

That stuck in Burress' mind as he dropped three passes in the first half and then dominated in the second.

"We knew this was a team we could beat,'' he said. "We beat 'em twice last year.''

The way the Giants' defense shook off its two-game funk was striking. The Redskins came in unbeaten but they were stopped cold, managing just 5 of 16 on third down conversions and 260 total yards. The Giants could not afford to give up one more yard, as the Redskins with four cracks from a yard out in the final minute were actually pushed backward.

Coughlin called it, "A really strong statement about the pride of our defensive team.''

A confidence boost was essential for the Giants, who now brace for an Eagles outfit coming off a 56-point outburst in a rout of the Lions. There were only subtle changes in game No. 3, with rookie cornerback Aaron Ross replacing a benched Corey Webster after Webster took a bad angle on Santana Moss' 49-yard reception. Figure Ross will start this week. Also, whenever converted linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka was up at the line of scrimmage, he was a disruptive force.

Mostly, there was an urgency on the field born out of desperation. "We didn't think about losing or all of the bad things that everybody was saying about us,'' Burress said. "Our whole thing was to win, win, win, win.''

Edit: Saw article posted from another paper on Breaking News, I attach that thread below. Burress didn't source the trash talking to anyone. Suspicion in the article is maybe Randle El on his show. My guess is he probably watched the Skins pregame shows, Skins report, etc where they slammed the Giants defense, etc. Skins don't tend to trash talk.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/ind...7890.xml&coll=1

I don't know if it was trash talking as it was the media saying that their defense was putrid and ranked 32nd in the league. But they definitely told themselves that they swept us last year and at halftime I'm sure they reminded themselves that they were about to go 0-3 if they didn't do something in the second half. Frankly, I'm just upset with our team and the lack of urgency in the second which we have seen before in the last couple of years. Trying to hold onto leads and NOT LOSE. Then JG says that all of our games are going to be close. WHY? We need to build on leads. Put the games out of reach. Consistent playcalling. Consistent energy and effort. Someone (Maybe London Fletcher) needed to say at halftime that the score was 0-0 and we need some points in the 3rd quarter. Period.

Its real sad when Redskins players cant never get that amped up like that. Soft coaching leads to a soft football. You let a man with a bad ankle come in here and beat down on you like that. Where is this teams heart at. Makes me sick. THey should let the fans play. We would play harder then this team.

I don't know if it was trash talking as it was the media saying that their defense was putrid and ranked 32nd in the league. But they definitely told themselves that they swept us last year and at halftime I'm sure they reminded themselves that they were about to go 0-3 if they didn't do something in the second half. Frankly, I'm just upset with our team and the lack of urgency in the second which we have seen before in the last couple of years. Trying to hold onto leads and NOT LOSE. Then JG says that all of our games are going to be close. WHY? We need to build on leads. Put the games out of reach. Consistent playcalling. Consistent energy and effort. Someone (Maybe London Fletcher) needed to say at halftime that the score was 0-0 and we need some points in the 3rd quarter. Period.

Agree with that, he was probaby watching national media stuff and Redskins shows too ala Comcast, Redskins Report, etc and didn't like the fact that the Gaints weren't giving much respect but it doesn't seem to be coming from players. Mt guess is that Burress THOUGHT the Skins players were thinking the same and maybe they were.

Yeah Campbell said today in an article that the Skins didn't play with the same "intensity" in the 2nd half that they did in the first. That has been a pattern in Gibbs 2. The OTHER team comes out fired up after half time and the Skins look flat especially in the third quarter.

We simply cannot match up with teams emotionally. This team lacks any sort of passion or fire whatsoever. It's certainly not coming from the coach.

Seems to be the case. I thought Santana Moss' quote was telling in the article about London Fletcher's pep talk at half time during the Dolphins game. Moss more or less said that hearing Fletcher reminded him of his days with the Jets and thinking that's how it was.

In other words, the Skins it seems don't get pep talks at half time. Now whether that's critical or not, don't know. But they sure seemed to make a big deal about Fletcher's pep talk and made it seem that it was a rare thing. In one of the Ny articles today about the Giants it mentioned how players were getting the offense and defense fired up on the sidelines.

Its real sad when Redskins players cant never get that amped up like that. Soft coaching leads to a soft football.
We simply cannot match up with teams emotionally. This team lacks any sort of passion or fire whatsoever. It's certainly not coming from the coach.

Didn't the Redskin players say the exact same thing about the Eagles a week earlier when WE were the big underdogs? It's amazing how short memories are around here sometimes.

I've never been a supporter of trash-talking in the first place, even when we were winning consistently. Right now, we have NO business trash-talking to ANYONE! We took this team too lightly and had our you-know-whats handed to us. We are an average team that has a LOT of flaws and many of those flaws were exposed Sunday. If this is true, I'm even sicker about Sunday's loss.

You absolutely right about that. Carlos Rodgers let Burress torch him all day and after that last touchdown you can see the look on his face that he knows that he doesnt have what it takes to play in the NFL anymore. THis was a team we should have beat. Now if we lost to the patriots like that i cant get mad at them. But the Giants. How can we come out and play lazy at home like that. Especially when the 12th man showed up like it did all game. Horrible how they can just blow a game like that.

I think the NY Media are masters at manipulating the Giants. Seems like every time we play them they find some revenge, or no respect angle to push. They purposely make the Giants players miserable talking about their problems knowing that they'll take it out on us. What saddens me is that often times we don't match their intensity. That's a knock on our players for not taking everyone seriously.

Didn't the Redskin players say the exact same thing about the Eagles a week earlier when WE were the big underdogs? It's amazing how short memories are around here sometimes.

Do you mean that the Skins were amped up against the Eagles and the Eagles were flat? If so, yeah it appeared that way and I think it plays into as opposed to contradicts the points being made here.

The Skins in Gibbs II actually seem to be able to get amped when they are written off, their back is against the wall, etc. I hate to quote Brian Mitchell since he can be annoying (but I like him better this year) but he said before this game and I agree with him -- the problem with the Skins is they don't deal well with success, and more or less they tend to let down as opposed to go for the throat.

Yea but other teams dont care about that so why should we. No matter if we are the underdogs or not we should be looking to beat teams down when we play them and thats not what were doing. We playing this poodle offense instead of going hard on every series looking to score. How can you play conservative with a 2 touchdown lead. I can understand if the score was 24-3 or 31-3. But 17-3. Teams can comeback from that in a quarter. Thats stupidity. The same thing keeps happenin over and Gibbs is acting like he cant do anything about it. If he cant do anything about it then get somebody in here who can. His arrogance and Ignorance is going to lead him into the grave.

People STFU please!!!! Its 1 frikkin loss stop whining like little girls omg!. I see sum of yall are n ur 30s and 40s and crying like ya wife cheated on u. Its one game fellas are season isn't doomed. Our team needed this wake up call and hopefully the coaches got a wake up call to stop handcuffing JCamp. Stop crying like its the end of the world its not like we were going to go to a superbowl or nething. We have a ok team not great its time for u to accept it were a 9-7 or 10-6 team that may beable to win 1 playoff game like n 05 but that's all. We lost 2 of our best lineman in 2 weeks so the whole right side is filled wit garbage so our offense couldn't do what it wanted cause of that weak right side and that's why Cooley was in the whole 2nd half to block. Just calm down n see how they respond. Grow up. I mean I was pissed all sunday night more than I've been n a long time but u get over it after u realize its 1 game outta 16. We will be ok we needa win against detroit,cards and greenbay and then were set up to maybe upset the Pats have faith

I think the NY Media are masters at manipulating the Giants. Seems like every time we play them they find some revenge, or no respect angle to push. They purposely make the Giants players miserable talking about their problems knowing that they'll take it out on us. What saddens me is that often times we don't match their intensity. That's a knock on our players for not taking everyone seriously.

It makes me wonder what the coaches are doing to make them take it seriously. Granted, the players are professionals and they should know that they have to play 60 minutes no matter what. But, I think of Jimmy Johnson's days coaching the Cowboys and Bill Parcells' great Giants teams. Those two made their players afraid to fail for fear of consequences. There's too much of a "country club" mentality on this team and I don't see it getting any better.

Ya know, I can take any loss like a man, but I am getting pretty tired of the Giants and the media talking about how their defense had this great stop on 4th and goal to win the game....Ladell Betts TRIPPED over the lineman because he took a bad angle, plain and simple. No Giant defender even touched him until he was already on the ground from his own feet. If Betts runs AROUND the lineman, like Portis did on the same play earlier in the game(and last week against the Eagles) then he walks in for an easy TD.

Do you mean that the Skins were amped up against the Eagles and the Eagles were flat? If so, yeah it appeared that way and I think it plays into as opposed to contradicts the points being made here.

The Skins in Gibbs II actually seem to be able to get amped when they are written off, their back is against the wall, etc. I hate to quote Brian Mitchell since he can be annoying (but I like him better this year) but he said before this game and I agree with him -- the problem with the Skins is they don't deal well with success, and more or less they tend to let down as opposed to go for the throat.

I hate to break it to you all, but most teams don't play the best they can possibly play all the time. Pretty much all teams have flat moments. Elite teams can win anyway (though even then you'll see games like the 12-4 Patriots losing to the 6-10 Dolphins 21-0 every so often.)

And I hate to break it to you all, but the Redskins aren't an elite team simply because they started 2-0.

That does not mean that this team lacks fire or the players don't care or the team can't handle success or the coach doesn't know how to call a game or the fans could play better or that, how did the original poster put it? Oh yeah, the sky is falling.

It just means we're a 2-1 team that isn't perfect. I'm dissappointed as hell with this loss, but they happen, ESPECIALLY division games. CGSKINS got it in one. We lost. It sucks. It's over. There's no need to read into it much more than that.

People STFU please!!!! Its 1 frikkin loss stop whining like little girls omg!. I see sum of yall are n ur 30s and 40s and crying like ya wife cheated on u. Its one game fellas are season isn't doomed. Our team needed this wake up call and hopefully the coaches got a wake up call to stop handcuffing JCamp. Stop crying like its the end of the world its not like we were going to go to a superbowl or nething. We have a ok team not great its time for u to accept it were a 9-7 or 10-6 team that may beable to win 1 playoff game like n 05 but that's all. We lost 2 of our best lineman in 2 weeks so the whole right side is filled wit garbage so our offense couldn't do what it wanted cause of that weak right side and that's why Cooley was in the whole 2nd half to block. Just calm down n see how they respond. Grow up. I mean I was pissed all sunday night more than I've been n a long time but u get over it after u realize its 1 game outta 16. We will be ok we needa win against detroit,cards and greenbay and then were set up to maybe upset the Pats have faith

Look buddy, if you are so upset at fans being upset why are you reading through those threads. I don't always agree either when people think the sky is falling and actually said at the beggining of this post that I don't think this is the end of the world here. So why not just ignore it?

As to how these posts have been worded the strongest overreaction on this thread seems to be coming from you. No one has said here for the most part its the end of the world. Bit pompous I think to tell other people to grow up.

What has some of us fired up isn't the loss but HOW the loss happened. It smacks of problems we've had in Gibbs 11.

Lack of intensity in the 2nd half -- Campbell flat out said that was the case in the paper today.

The other team coming out with intensity in the 2nd half and pulling off the come back.

Mismanagment of the 2 minute drill

Coming after a high, losing to a team we should beat at home with arguably some questionable playcalling to blame.

Now if you disagree with all of that, don't see this is a pattern or don't think its important your opinion is as valid as ours but it isn't more valid than ours. Behind all this frustration, I think its driven by this, we started this season 2-0 thinking for the most part maybe we are not great but we can be a good team and it looks like we put some of the past problems behind us.

The problem with this game for some isn't the loss. Its how it went down. In many ways its a poster child loss for Gibbs II -- and that bugs and spooks us some becuase it could mean more of those problems are on the way. Now, we hope it isn't the case and no one is writing the season off.

Personally I think we do bounce back against the Lions but I am nervous now as many other people on the board on. We got to wait and see how it plays out. Good sign for Gibbs 11 teams is the media will be all over the Skins this next 2 weeks and they tend to play better in that context.

It would be nice though that they can play consistently well not just when written off but also when they are touted. Almost seems like the team fears success or doesn't know how to deal with it! :laugh:

1 game can turn into 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 games man. THis is a forum were people can come out and talk about their team. And right now alot of us fans are smarter then the coaching staff that is getting paid millions of dollars. Alot of us fans can play better then alot of these players to. For us to sit here and say its a loss when the other teams fought their buts off so that their fans dont have deal with people saying they suck for another week. For this team to go out their and lose the way they did at home is an insult to every true redskins fan that bleeds burgundy and gold. Every loss seems like the end of the world because we are diehard fans who bleed the redskins colors. You can say its not that serious and it doesnt mean that much this and that. But that is the same reason why we havent return to the superbowl yet and have to deal with so many cowboys fans and keep losing games like this. Becuase the other teams takes it more serious. And thats why we will continue to lose unless we change our thinking.

I hate to break it to you all, but most teams don't play the best they can possibly play all the time. Pretty much all teams have flat moments. Elite teams can win anyway (though even then you'll see games like the 12-4 Patriots losing to the 6-10 Dolphins 21-0 every so often.)

And I hate to break it to you all, but the Redskins aren't an elite team simply because they started 2-0.

That does not mean that this team lacks fire or the players don't care or the team can't handle success or the coach doesn't know how to call a game or the fans could play better or that, how did the original poster put it? Oh yeah, the sky is falling.

It just means we're a 2-1 team that isn't perfect. I'm dissappointed as hell with this loss, but they happen, ESPECIALLY division games. CGSKINS got it in one. We lost. It sucks. It's over. There's no need to read into it much more than that.

The redskins can be just as good as ny of those teams. For some reason they just choose not to. Becuase of these excuses about their not perfect and this and that. Its excuses. Thats all it is. Stop with the excuses and go out there and play your but off to win. Its that simple. If you play harder then the other team you usually win. It has been proven a million times and last saturday made it a million and one.

Sounds about right.

Very Norvish also.

I hate to break it to you all, but most teams don't play the best they can possibly play all the time. Pretty much all teams have flat moments. Elite teams can win anyway (though even then you'll see games like the 12-4 Patriots losing to the 6-10 Dolphins 21-0 every so often.)And I hate to break it to you all, but the Redskins aren't an elite team simply because they started 2-0.

I'll ignore the condescending tone of your post and chalk it up to us all having a frustrating debate or perhaps me misreading the tone. To your points.

First of all the orginal poster which was me said "I am not in the camp" of believing the sky is failling. You imply that the opposite was said to make it look like we are off our rockers -- while I admire it from a debating tactic, that's all it is.

The funny thing is that some of the people who are upset at the people who are upset -- seem much more angry and sarcastic than we are why not cool down and have a real debate here.

I don't recall most of these posts talking about how the Skins are an elite team. I think we all know that teams even good teams lose games, and teams don't play with the same intensity every game -- yep you are stating the obvious I am gathering to make the point about how oblivious we are to even the most basic football realities.

The problem I have with the loss is explained in my previous post. I don't have the energy and interest to repeat it again. If you disagree with it, cool for you, to each their own, but I am not angry at the people I disagree with.

Archived