Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Saunders Learning Curve/Redskins Offensive Problems

Johnny Punani

I believe one thing not being talked about is the team's problem digesting Saunders' massive playbook. While it might take one year to learn the system and plays, the system in and of itself is so massive that I wonder how many times the team gets to practice any specific play. I think the learning curve for this offense is a lot greater then people understand. If he is using different plays from game to game (normal game planning for a O Coord) then it would make sense the offense is going to take a lot longer to get going. Just for the simple fact that they are not getting enough repetition on any one play.

This is the reason for people wondering why Saunders' abandons something when it was working in the last game and people asking why the Skins are not as good offensively with all the talent they have.

just a thought...

People definitely underestimate the time that needs to go into learning an offense like Saunders's. It's complicated, but effective when executed well, as we've seen in his career. But the thing is, Cooley said everyone was much more comfortable when training camp started. I hope it's only a matter of time before this offense gets rolling.

I still think its a matter of execution

Errant throws, dropped passes, a lineman just getting beat by the d-lineman

The plays are there, you can see it, you can see a hole open up, or you can see a WR streaking. When we hit the play its beautiful (the Moss deep ball which was right in front of me) or when you are literally a second away from breaking a big one (Clinton in the 3rd quarter needed Santana to hold his block 1 more second on Madison and he is off to the races)

However there are still too many plays were either Jason throws too high, the ball goes through a WR's hands, or our o-line can't make the block. We are our own worst enemy still

I'm sure they are comfortable understanding the system and how it is supposed to work. They problem is they haven't mastered enough of it for it to translate on the field yet. I think a side note to this situation is Gibbs' input into the offense. We are trying too hard to have a balanced attack that it is adding to the amount of plays they have to practice. In St Louis and KC, it seemed like Saunders focused on the passing first in games. When they mastered the passing game then he focused more on running in the subsequent years he was there.

I'm sure they are comfortable understanding the system and how it is supposed to work. They problem is they haven't mastered enough of it for it to translate on the field yet. I think a side note to this situation is Gibbs' input into the offense. We are trying too hard to have a balanced attack that it is adding to the amount of plays they have to practice. In St Louis and KC, it seemed like Saunders focused on the passing first in games. When they mastered the passing game then he focused more on running in the subsequent years he was there.

It is tough to tell to be honest

That 3rd year with the Rams, that O blew up with Warner and the greatest show on turf

Then in KC it blew up pretty quick

The difference to me? Veteran QB's

I still think its a matter of execution

Errant throws, dropped passes, a lineman just getting beat by the d-lineman

The plays are there, you can see it, you can see a hole open up, or you can see a WR streaking. When we hit the play its beautiful (the Moss deep ball which was right in front of me) or when you are literally a second away from breaking a big one (Clinton in the 3rd quarter needed Santana to hold his block 1 more second on Madison and he is off to the races)

However there are still too many plays were either Jason throws too high, the ball goes through a WR's hands, or our o-line can't make the block. We are our own worst enemy still

Well you are proving my point which is you need a lot of practice to execute well in games. The other stuff is just complicating the situation (Campbell's inexperience and injury on the O-line).

That 3rd year with the Rams, that O blew up with Warner and the greatest show on turf

I'm being a little too simple to be honest as well. You have to add player/team strengh and other factors for the other two teams he was calling the shots for.

I think it's BS.

Look at the Saints last year. Turned a horrible offense into the best in the league.

Look at Martz in St. Louis in 1999 with Warner starting his first game ever in the NFL. He averaged 4TD's and 300 yards a game. Thats the same offense, right?

Look at the Pats with all new receivers this year.

Then look at old Norv in San Dog. Turned that offense into the 2004 Redskins offense.

I think its just that there are conflicting philosophies and most of our players either fit one or the other. We are either trying to play smashmouth with a team not built for smashmouth or we're trying to dink and dunk with a team built for stretching the field. Doesn't make sense really. I have no idea what the offense is trying to achieve, but I do know that it has been mostly ineffective for going on 4 seasons now.

The real difference, it seems, is that in KC Vermeil gave Saunders complete control of that offense. Here, there is too much meddling.

Nobody complained about the 700-page playbook in KC. Nobody. If Gibbs would just let this man run the offense, we'd be in fine shape on that side of the ball. And all of this talk about how Saunders doesn't like to run the ball is complete hogwash. I take it you guys have heard of Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson?

The playbook was bigger in KC actually, it got "trimmed" due to Gibbs

There's no need for us to hire such talent if we can't let them take control over what they're supposed to.. sure, if they start stinking the field up, maybe..

Forget schemes, forget systems.. run what the players that you have on the field are capable of running and play to their strengths

We as an organization have a hard time adjusting, tunnel vision if you will, we're gonna stick with blah blah till it works, even if it's not the right thing for us

Archived