Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where is the shotgun?

kreitmaster

With the shotgun, Campbell doesn't need to worry about a long drop back, especially when the Defense times the snap count perfectly and is in the backfield immediately. He can just step up and make a strong throw. It also gives him time to check multiple reads without too much pressure. Please tell me why Gibbs refuses to use the shotgun.

With the shotgun, Campbell doesn't need to worry about a long drop back, especially when the Defense times the snap count perfectly and is in the backfield immediately. He can just step up and make a strong throw. It also gives him time to check multiple reads without too much pressure. Please tell me why Gibbs refuses to use the shotgun.

Because then the defense will know exactly what you're going to do...

Sort of like when you run the same plays over and over. :doh:

I agree, they should have put him in shotgun more often.

LOL I saw the thread title and I thought you meant like "Where's the shotgun I'm gonna blast myself!"

Glad that isn't the case ;)

That also came to my mind at first glance :laugh: ...

anyway, just be glad that we even have the shotgun formation in the playbook, because we didn't in '04 and John Gruden still doesn't use it in Tampa Bay.

This feels like 2005 all over again, where gibbs gets ahead and then starts playing the 2 run and 3rd down pass crap. Gibbs has to check his guts, if the run is not working pass a little to open it up. Its not like we have Rex Grossmen as QB

The double meaning was intended, but it is a serious question/complaint. I doubt Campbell will fumble any more time in the shotgun then he already is. At least mix it up a bit, instead of that awful drop back and screen to the back who gets immediately clobbered because the defense will mark the screen play when it blitzes.

I posted this in the game thread..

I've noticed it since last year JC looks way more comfortable and confident in the shotgun. The whole 2nd half even on 3rd down he was under center i was pissed. Then when we get down they put him back in the shotgun and what do you know, we were moving the ball again. It was very disheartning i was screaming at the TV.

Because then the defense will know exactly what you're going to do...

Sort of like when you run the same plays over and over. :doh:

I agree, they should have put him in shotgun more often.

We try and run the ball to open up the pass game but these days more teams are throwing out of the shotgun to open the run game, I'd like to see us go that direction.

I've noticed it since last year JC looks way more comfortable and confident in the shotgun. The whole 2nd half even on 3rd down he was under center i was pissed. Then when we get down they put him back in the shotgun and what do you know, we were moving the ball again. It was very disheartning i was screaming at the TV.

I agree, he does look more comfortable there. And it isn't like only inexperienced or crappy QBs prefer the shotgun. Tom Brady has said he much prefers the shotgun formation, epsecially when there are multiple wideouts because it gives him a wider field of vision and more time to make the best decision. But that is a more "new school" NFL mindset that is more pass first oriented or at least uses the pass much more than in prior decades. Gibbs is still stuck in the "old school" NFL mindset where you hardly ever use shotgun and you always run to open up the pass. That is fine, but it simply doesn't work as well now. D lines are faster, defenses are more complicated with less holes and more athletic backfields to pick up on play action passes. Not to mention the rule changes. Back then WRs and corners could practically maul each other before PI was called. Nowadays the wideout gets a huge benefit.

This is why I wish Al Saunders had complete control of the offense. He isn't an "air it out all the time" guy; he certainly likes to use the running game. But he also mixes it up and uses the pass to set up the run as well to keep defenses guessing. Trying to mix their two styles is obviously not working. Someone needs to decide who is in charge of this offense and stick with it that way.

Gibbs is coaching scared. No intermediate passes, no shotgun formation, no faith in our QB to get the ball into the endzone, no star running back in with the game on the line. All because he's scared. He's scared of penalties, he's scared of turnovers, he's scared of injuries. This game must have been a blow to JC's confidence as a QB and to the team in general.

I feel ya man, the exact same thing was going on with me. I was thinking, "wth, were losing and its 3rd and like 10, and he's still taking snaps under center? wheres the shotgun!?"

Gibbs is coaching scared. No intermediate passes, no shotgun formation, no faith in our QB to get the ball into the endzone, no star running back in with the game on the line. All because he's scared. He's scared of penalties, he's scared of turnovers, he's scared of injuries. This game must have been a blow to JC's confidence as a QB and to the team in general.

Joe Gibbs is holding this team back. It's horribly apparent.

It went out the door with Bill Musgrave. Well, not entirely, but you guys get my point. Musgrave got Gibbs to use the shotgun. Once he left, it seemed like Gibbs was reluctant to use the shot gun that much. With a young quarterback like Campbell, it is beneficial to use the shotgun, as it will help him to identify what is going on, and give him a better view when the play is unfolding.

We use it, though, but it is a rare sight. When it does happen, it is rarely something going down the field.

The stats guys at Football Outsiders report that of the 27 teams that threw more than 10 percent of their passes from the shotgun in 2006, 22 had a higher DVOA than on passes from QBs under center -- including the Skins.

New England and Indianapolis use it more than any other team.

Bill Walsh and Joe Gibbs were opposed to it. The last NFL holdout, Jon Gruden, added the gun this year.

I think in ten years it will seem strange to see a QB under center. After 75 years, defenses have pretty much solved and neutralized the advantages of having the QB under center. The disadvantages now outweigh the advantages.

Archived