Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking Positive Going into the Bye Week

Veretax

All right, this thread is to discuss the positive things that the team has done this year. If you want to be negative go to another thread, I am just interested in what things others are seeing as good signs for our teams future.

For starters our Oline Depth, When the Todd Wade situation didn't work out at Left Guard I was nervous about how poorly we used to pass protect under spurier, The FO made an excellent move in signing Kendall, and he played Very well today. this paid double dividends when Heyer had to step in for Jansen, and wade took over against phily. Then we lose thomas, and for the most part Fabini played pretty well, there is room for improvement of course, but we certainly weren't being owned on every play and that's at least a good sign.

RUnning Backs: Portis is looking more and more healthy, and more like his old self, minus the fumble in the Giants game. Don't know if the coaches kept him out because of that fumble or not, but he was blocking well and catching balls out of the back field that this time last year were going to betts for little gain.

Betts has played very well in a relief role, but at times looks like he's not hitting the holes hard or fast enough, not sure if that's him waiting for the timing on the play, or just something that happens, but he's looking like he hasn't lost what he had last year and that's great news for our clubs future.

Sellars has played lights out all season, the guy can run, block, and catch and that's going to pay us dividends before the season is over. Why we didn't use him more last year is beyond me.

ARE has played very well as our #2, and its great to see that he's getting looks and making most of the plays he should.

Cooley looks like he's playing with a chip on his shoulder after early misses in both the first two games. I look for more good things from him.

Moss finally made a few catches in the last game, and if he can get back to form over the bye weak should give us a better offense against the lions (and we may just need it)

Campbell has shown great poise and leadership, and his arm shows that we can hope to win even games we are down near the end. I hope we don't have to rely on his legs as much as we did in this last game, but at least he's not afraid to tuck it and run, I look forward to lots more from him, and no INTs in the Giants game!

Defense:

Evans looked GREAT in relief for Daniels I think it was, this guy is going to be a good long term player I feel.

Montgomery is a beast, How many balls did that guy tip or almost tip or force to miss by being a presence in the center of the pocket.

Carter's making more plays than' he's missing, and looks to be much improved over last year.

Griffin and Daniels are showing their leadership potential on the line, batting balls and doing whatever it takes to be a factor on plays.

Fletcher! Praise the Lord we have this guy, he is not only a tackling machine, but a thinking Line backer that is perfect for our scheme. He makes everyone else on the team look better, I am so happy we brought him now.

Rocky is showing the athleticism that we all saw as his potential. He's still missing a few plays, but that will come with experience I think.

Washington I think hands down the guy is playing with all heart. Our whole Line backing corp was flying towards the ball most of these first three games and playing lights up.

HB Blades, I know he hasn't had much time, but the few snaps he has been in have been memorable ones for me. He is going to be a great linebacker for us in the future I can just sense it.

Landry after missing some easy early tackles in games one and two has shown his closing speed a bit, and is learning to tackle as well as hit. I am so Glad we picked this guy #6th this year he really helps our secondary out.

Smoot has played well most of the time he's been in and I look forward to him healing during the bye and being ready for the Lions.

Springs has been playing aggressively and tackling like a crazy man at times when he's been in there, I think this ugy wants to prove he's worth his salary this year, and we certainly need his leadership.

Taylor found his hands and intercepted a Manning pass, he's been playing well all over the field, and I am very pleased with his performance thus far.

Rogers has made some excellent plays and tackles. And while he has gotten burnt on a couple of plays, he hasn't given up on them and well likely improve through the year.

Special Teams:

ARE and Rock are gems, and Khary Campbell is a tackling beast on Special teams.

I like where we are right now a whole bunch, there is always room for improvement, but if we keep working hard good things will come a lot sooner than some will say.

I said in another thread, a loss like this may pay dividends down the road in teaching a lesson. I think the team was a little over-confident coming in and played against a team that was desperate.

Also, l hope the coaches will realize that more agressive play-calling, like in Philly, will produce in better results.

I'm at a rally point. This is exactly where I think the rally point should be!! a 2 week break. We can review the film and see where our mistakes are.

I'm positive.

I can see that in classic Skins fashion, we sat on the lead. NOT SMART. but we will learn from this mistake.

As for the last possession play calling... I've heard that calling a running play on 3rd down was stupid. I don't agree. Had that running play resulted in a TD and a tie of the score, everyone would say that Gibbs was genius. So... take as you wish. I t was a good call considering the circumstances of a no-timeout 3rd down possession at the goal line.

Let's rally fellas. Stay strong. You couldn't have wished for a better time to rally. You have 2 weeks to steady the ship. HAIL SKINS!

I said in another thread, a loss like this may pay dividends down the road in teaching a lesson. I think the team was a little over-confident coming in and played against a team that was desperate.

Also, l hope the coaches will realize that more agressive play-calling, like in Philly, will produce in better results.

That's the right attitude!!! Stay the course and rally the team around the mistakes. We will rebound.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

We get this bye week early and should be able to get it together and get our O line in order......thats the only thinkg im concerned about....

campbell cant complete passes with protection

running cant funstion if we cant complete ore passes....

defense cant res if the offense cant run or pass...

So hopefully this week off will give us some time to get the line straight...

2-1 is not the end of the world...

I wonder if the teams who "improved" to 2-1 this week are thinking its the end of the world to have that record after 3 games....

I'm at a rally point. This is exactly where I think the rally point should be!! a 2 week break. We can review the film and see where our mistakes are.

I'm positive.

I can see that in classic Skins fashion, we sat on the lead. NOT SMART. but we will learn from this mistake.

As for the last possession play calling... I've heard that calling a running play on 3rd down was stupid. I don't agree. Had that running play resulted in a TD and a tie of the score, everyone would say that Gibbs was genius. So... take as you wish. I t was a good call considering the circumstances of a no-timeout 3rd down possession at the goal line.

Let's rally fellas. Stay strong. You couldn't have wished for a better time to rally. You have 2 weeks to steady the ship. HAIL SKINS!

Normally a bye would be better in the middle of the season, but for us, we need it now before we continue this pattern of sloppiness... correct the time management issue...

running the ball on 3rd down was not a mistake...

running the next play too quickly was a mistake.

spiking the ball on first down was a mistake...

call a pass play... at least have a chance at scoring...

The silver linging is that the team took the loss hard.. I hope they feel it and never want to lose again!

If we came away with another overtime win today, the team (players and coaches) may not be looking as hard for the deficiencies as they will be now. - They'd be more likely taking a week off feeling good about being 3-0.

Instead, this game will stick in their craw for the next two weeks and teach a lesson in humility.

If we came away with another overtime win today, the team (players and coaches) may not be looking as hard for the deficiencies as they will be now. - They'd be more likely taking a week off feeling good about being 3-0.

Instead, this game will stick in their craw for the next two weeks and teach a lesson in humility.

It better. And we beter come out with a serious chip on our shoulder headed into the Lions game.

I'm positive.

Not really, it was a dumb playcall no matter what.

Normally a bye would be better in the middle of the season, but for us, we need it now before we continue this pattern of sloppiness... correct the time management issue...

It's been like this to varying degrees since Gibbs came back. Why do people think it'll be tightened up later?

Even with our winning streak in 2005, we had a few close calls. For Chrissakes we needed a Taylor return for a TD against a team with Mike McMahon at QB! :doh: :(

Archived