Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: For Montgomery, It's Been Worth the Weight

WizSkinsO's

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/22/AR2007092201142.html

Apologies if this has been posted already; search function wasn't working for me but I didn't see it anywhere. Great UnWise Mike piece on Anthony Montgomery.

This guy's really starting to grow on me and I really don't mind that he stole the starting job from Golston now that his head is finally in the game and he's a physical monster.

Golston and Montgomery have the opportunity and ability to be 2 premier DTs for the Redskins. They are big guys who can easily clog up the line and stop the run. We need them to be the best they can be, and when they are, this defense has the opportunity to be great.

Defensively, we have a lot of young talent. We're gonna need to find a good young corner to replace Springs because he is old. That would give us a young secondary with Carlos Rogers, ST, LL, and whoever we get.

The LB corps has Rocky, who seems to be a stud and will be good for us in years to come. I've heard good things about H.B. Blades as well. MW has some time left with us.

On the D-Line, Griffin's is aging. Hopefully Golston will replace him well in a couple years. That gives us Andre Carter who still has time, Montgomery, and Golston. Philip Daniels's time is running out, hopefully we'll draft a solid DE next year and I think we'll be set for years to come. This defense has the potential to be the steel curtain of the 2010s.

See... this is what the people who villify Greg Williams can't get and will probably never get.

You sissys blame "hardass" and "arrogant" GW for alienating drama queen Lavar Arrington. But if his style makes a player out of Montgomery, Golston, McIntosh, and Landry???... I'll take that trade off. Not to mention the young players of the past who saw their best seasons under Williams direction: Pierce, Marshall, Clark, and Griffin.

I can't think of 3 defensive staffs I'd rather have than ours. It's a pitiful, sorry shame that more "fans" don't realize just how lucky we are to have GW and co.

See... this is what the people who villify Greg Williams can't get and will probably never get.

You sissys blame "hardass" and "arrogant" GW for alienating drama queen Lavar Arrington. But if his style makes a player out of Montgomery, Golston, McIntosh, and Landry???... I'll take that trade off. Not to mention the young players of the past who saw their best seasons under Williams direction: Pierce, Marshall, Clark, and Griffin.

Great Point! Defense does require a tough sonofa**** to coach em. Remember Pettibone? He certainly didn't round his guys up to sing cumbiyah.

UnWise Mike announced the fact he worked at the Post many months after he started when he wrote his, "Gosh, I've been here a while and held my tongue, but can't anymore," article about the team name. I thought he was a swarmy twit. Recently, I've come to think first impressions aren't always best. He's had some articles recently that are really fun for fans of the team -- who comprise the readership for those who cover the team -- to read. I give him credit.

First, another well done by Wise that brings a player's story closer to us and was fun to read. We may have a ways to go on Golston & Montgomery before we can call them "great" moves, but still.

But review the trades (forever Portis) to get JC & Rocky, drafting Sean & LaRon (C'mon Carlos--I know you can do it--last week was a sign), letting the beloved vets go and trusting these youngbloods, cutting the Fauria/AA errors and moving on, ARE's reformation as a potent receiver, Kendall being on the "want" board prior to pre-season (according to Gibbs), adding veteran depth, and the list continues.

It's early in the season, I know. But despite the real mis-steps in the first three years (some understandable though bad) it all starts to add up that maybe the game hasn't passed "Old Joe" by. ;)

When I think of those thousands of hammer-headed posts bemoaning the "terrible" trades to get JC & Rocky, I get a little misty-eyed.

For the most part' date=' with the limited draft choices, the skins have done well in picking players from the draft. Maybe the skins should just keep their draft picks and build the team that way.[/quote']

Over the past two or three years I think the Skins have done a really good job w/ their draft picks, but we've also done a decent job in FA too.

UnWise Mike announced the fact he worked at the Post many months after he started when he wrote his, "Gosh, I've been here a while and held my tongue, but can't anymore," article about the team name. I thought he was a swarmy twit. Recently, I've come to think first impressions aren't always best. He's had some articles recently that are really fun for fans of the team -- who comprise the readership for those who cover the team -- to read. I give him credit.

I've notice the change as well. For the first year of so I thought the only person who was less on the pulse of the Washington fan base was Sally Jenkins but he has started to get DC. It isn't just Redskins either. He was way off base on all the other area teams as well.

Archived