Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam Huff to be honored in a pregame ceremony on Sunday

RFKFedEx

I just got an email from the team that Sam Huff will be honored in a pregame ceremony on Sunday afternoon. Today is the first I've heard of this, seems kind of late to be making such an announcement. Maybe I missed it a few weeks back, I don't know.

I find the timing of this to be interesting considering Sam is probably nearing the end of his run in the booth. A new defensive color man will be needed to take Sam's place in the three man team.

Isn't it kind of ironic that Lavar Arrington was just hired at Comcast to cover the Redskins?

Could Lavar end up in the booth with Larry and Sonny? Or perhaps a new offensive color man on the team? Maybe a Joe Theismann who was honored before the last game?

I'm not reporting this as fact, I'm just saying that the writing is on the wall.

Say what you will about Comcast being independent from the Redskins, but I don't think Lavar would have been inked without permission from Mr. Snyder.

:2cents:

I was in attendance in 1967 at the last game of the season against New Orleans when Sam retired. I remember them having a ceremony during halftime and giving him a car.

In 1969, Vince Lombardi was hired as coach and talked Sam out of retirement. Under Lombardi, Sam was the enthusiastic leader of a defense that helped produce the Skins' first winning record since 1955.

After Lombardi died, prior to the 1970 season, Sam hung it up for good. I was lucky enough to have seen him play even though it was at the end of an illustrious career.

Archived