Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Son of football great Joe Theismann sentenced on drug charges

Thinking Skins

Will you go for the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Will you go for the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship

• Yes, because I am pulling for the NFC Eastern Division
    • No, because I don’t want the see the Eagles Hoist the Vince Lombardi Trophy

Son of football great Joe Theismann sentenced on drug charges

Associated Press

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - A judge gave the son of football great Joe Theismann a suspended sentence on drug charges.

Joseph W. Theismann, 31, of Fairfax, Va., was sentenced Tuesday to a 10-year suspended prison term and placed him on probation for five years.

Judge John M. Marnocha also imposed a $2,500 fine.

Theismann pleaded guilty in October to a felony charge of dealing cocaine and a misdemeanor charge of possessing drug paraphernalia.

In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors dismissed charges of possessing cocaine and maintaining a common nuisance.

Theismann could have faced up to 65 years in prison if convicted of all the charges originally filed against him.

He was arrested Jan. 30 at a South Bend hotel after police were called about a white residue that hotel cleaning personnel found on a plate in the room.

Theismann's father, former Notre Dame and Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, and other family members also appeared in St. Joseph Superior Court on Tuesday.

Defense attorney William P. Stanley said the younger Theismann entered a rehabilitation program after his arrest and continues in a counseling program in Virginia.

"He's fortunate that his family stuck by him and gave him support," Stanley said later.

I once hitched a ride with a contractor who worked for Joe's wife during the strained Cathy Lee times. He was good friends with Mrs. Theirman and said that he had absolutely zero respect for Joe because he didn't even place a phone call his kids for more than a year running.

There's little wonder how your kids do things like this if you aren't there for them. Professional athletes can really be self-centered sometimes. I hope Joe junior gets his act together before it's too late.

I went to junior HS (Longfellow) with Joey Theismann (the son) as well as Amy (his daughter). Although I didn't know either of them well, they did seem pretty much like spoiled brats and screw-ups, so I can't say I'm surprised to hear this about Joey. But yeah, obviously the parenting is probably the leading cause of this.

Archived