Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Delay Flag AFTER Spike - Get it Fixed

Dan T.

Campbell said the headset went out in his interview. There still should have been 2 plays called though.

What a weird coincidence , premature starting of the clock and no consideration that the play was dead due to El being tackled out of bounds to stop the stupid clock and the headset going silent. Couldn't be magic if you playing in Philly , hey Belecheat isn't the only one doing the dirty deed.

Okay. So the headset was out which is why a play wasn't sent in with enough time for the offense to get out there and run it? It was called but they couldn't get it in or something like that. Is interesting that the headsets went out at that time. However, knowing that the Patriots thing will have us looking at just about everything with that incident in mind, I'll pass on any judgment about any suspicious activities involved.

With all the euphoria of the victory, it isn't surprising that perhaps there hasn't been more discussion of the stuff that went on at the end of the first half. Dan's point about the delay of game after the spike is one thing, but what was more disturbing to me was the decision by someone to send the kicking unit out when we were still on the 6 with 14 seconds left, and its only second down? Where's the rationale for that? Are we that afraid that Jason is either going to throw the ball short of the endzone, or that he's going to get us picked?

It was a great win on Monday, but I was irate when the kicking unit was sent out. Continuing to do that is going to cost this team.......next time you won't have Andy Reid to bail the Skins out. The only possible reason I could see sending out the FG unit is if Gibbs had a fake planned......maybe that's why AR called time.

With all the euphoria of the victory, it isn't surprising that perhaps there hasn't been more discussion of the stuff that went on at the end of the first half. Dan's point about the delay of game after the spike is one thing, but what was more disturbing to me was the decision by someone to send the kicking unit out when we were still on the 6 with 14 seconds left, and its only second down? Where's the rationale for that? Are we that afraid that Jason is either going to throw the ball short of the endzone, or that he's going to get us picked?

The kicking unit didn't come out until after the two false starts, so the O was on the 16 with 14 seconds left when Gibbs sent out the FG unit. Still a questionable decision, though at that point I had resigned myself to going into the half with the score 6 to 6. I was really glad Reid called the TO, I hoped Gibbs would do something with that gift.

The kicking unit didn't come out until after the two false starts, so the O was on the 16 with 14 seconds left when Gibbs sent out the FG unit. Still a questionable decision, though at that point I had resigned myself to going into the half with the score 6 to 6. I was really glad Reid called the TO, I hoped Gibbs would do something with that gift.

Not to nitpick but the field goal unit went out when it was 2nd and 11, not 2nd and 16, at least according to this account from mvn.com (I haven't gone back to verify this, but it gibes with my recollection):

1st & Goal, PHI 1 (:14) - QB Jason Campbell spikes the ball to stop the clock.

2nd & Goal, PHI 1 (:14) - PENALTY, delay of game, -5 yards

2nd & 6, PHI 4 (:14) - PENALTY, false start on Jason Fabini (WAS), -5 yards

2nd & 11, PHI 11, (:14) - Redskins set up for field goal, Philadelphia calls time out. The Skins then set up for an offensive play.

2nd & 11, PHI 11 (:14) - PENALTY, false start on Jason Fabini (WAS), -5 yards

2nd & 16, PHI 16 (:14) - Jason Campbell pass to Chris Cooley, TOUCHDOWN!

http://mvn.com/nfl-redskins/2007/09/18/redskins-20-eagles-12-the-good-the-bad-yo-fat-ugly-mama/

The account in the Post today indicates the FG team went out when the Skins were on the 6, after the delay had pushed them back there from the 1. That's my recollection. I actually wasn't that upset that we had been pushed back to the 6.....removes any temptation to run and thus risk the clock running out......but when I saw the kicking unit go out, I went nuts. I think even the Philly fans thought I was a loon :D

Archived